PDA

View Full Version : Hello From A New BMW Owner

dNorm
05-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Hello folks - After lurking for some time getting a feel for the board, I'd like to introduce myself and say hello. Bought a CPO'd 2008 528xi a few weeks ago. I love the bimmer, puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

I recently bought a manual rear roller sunshield from BMW, which did not come with any instructions. I found a PDF for installation, but it seems all but useless. If anyone can offer up how to remove the c-pillar covers and rear seat removal procedure for a 2008 E60, I'd be greatful. I've scoured the forums but could not find something for the newer E60's. My fear is to break something off in the process, if not activate the airbag behind it. Cheers. -Norm

mrich1353
05-07-2010, 01:55 PM
I can't help but beware - BIG WARNING - you have airbags in the pillars!
:thumbup:

dNorm
05-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I just lost the easiest $30 ever today by subscribing to a 24-hour TIS subscription at www.bmwtis.com. I thought that I'd be able to look up the document to remove the c-pillar (Tis No. 51 43 255). Boy, was I wrong. :mad: -Norm

I can't help but beware - BIG WARNING - you have airbags in the pillars!
:thumbup:

wolfgang0524
05-09-2010, 09:03 PM
I haven't removed the c pillar, but I have removed the side bolsters on the rear seats. I know I have a picture somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. If I remember correctly, just grab the side bolster at the top and give it a gentle but firm pull toward the front of the car. After the clips release, it should just lift pretty much straight up.

Oh, and for dealing with the air bags, I always disconnect the battery first. That way there can't be any accidental deployment. In mine, the battery compartment is in the trunk on the passenger side. You have to remove the plastic clips that hold the liner in. I believe a quarter turn and then a little pry with a screwdriver should do the trick.

dNorm
05-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Thanks Wolfgang, appreciate the pointers. Gets me a little closer to getting the sunshade installed. I've already bought some plastic prying tools for removing the c-pillar covers but have not yet started the 'yanking and pulling' to try to get that thing off. I'm a bit more cautious to do this on a BMW vs. any of my former domestic cars - there is *nothing* inexpensive about a BMW. Cheers. -Norm

I haven't removed the c pillar, but I have removed the side bolsters on the rear seats. I know I have a picture somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. If I remember correctly, just grab the side bolster at the top and give it a gentle but firm pull toward the front of the car. After the clips release, it should just lift pretty much straight up.

Oh, and for dealing with the air bags, I always disconnect the battery first. That way there can't be any accidental deployment. In mine, the battery compartment is in the trunk on the passenger side. You have to remove the plastic clips that hold the liner in. I believe a quarter turn and then a little pry with a screwdriver should do the trick.