PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Note on 550 - Quite?

BLUE550
05-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Not sure if it's normal, but the exhaust note from my 550 is very quite. Even at the ignition and throttle, the exhaust note is more quite than I expected.

It's actually more quite than 135i I had for my loaner and other V6s that I drove before.

In general, I like the quiteness in the car when I drive, but I was hoping to hear more gutty V-8 sound than this.

I usually close windows when I throttle on the highway so not sure how it sounds when I drive fast, though.

What do you guys think?

hmc
05-07-2010, 06:08 PM
That's what I want. Quiet and low key.

Billd104
05-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Not sure if it's normal, but the exhaust note from my 550 is very quite. Even at the ignition and throttle, the exhaust note is more quite than I expected.

It's actually more quite than 135i I had for my loaner and other V6s that I drove before.

In general, I like the quiteness in the car when I drive, but I was hoping to hear more gutty V-8 sound than this.

I usually close windows when I throttle on the highway so not sure how it sounds when I drive fast, though.

What do you guys think?

Get an aftermarket exhaust system.

jboucher
05-08-2010, 10:28 AM
roll your windows down and wind that big bad v8 up to 6500rpm.....it is NOT quiet
:thumbup:

don't forget you are driving a luxury sedan that is built to be smooth and quiet on the highway.

That said, check out RPI for a great exhaust option... I have one on my wishlist!!

Dann902
05-08-2010, 11:05 AM
quite or quiet??

CJsCar
05-08-2010, 11:10 AM
quite or quiet??

I'm guessing it' quite quiet :confused:

BLUE550
05-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Haha wow. Yeah. I meant quiet, not quite :yikes:

I am not looking for a mod. If it's normal then I am good. It wasn't as loud as I expected.

calpalmer
05-08-2010, 03:57 PM
quite or quiet??

Quite

:mad:

skylolow
05-09-2010, 05:05 AM
Well you got to remember who the 5 series generally appeals to. So to have an exhaust that borders on loud won't really work. Plus these cars have a considerable amount of isolation from outside noise on purporse.

Have someone pull away from your house with your car. They sound bad ass when they take off at all different speeds.

You want more noise in the cabin a simple aftermarket exhaust will do the trick. Remus is popular one that doesn't go to cray on noise side but loud enough to know it isn't stock that is for sure. Check out youtube for sounds of various exhausts on the 5 series.

2008550I
05-09-2010, 08:07 AM

What do you guys think?

IMO, the sound is just right. Nice low growl, that's perfect for this car.