PDA

View Full Version : Automatic interior venting

Ralph III
05-08-2010, 07:51 AM
I wanted to share this, as many may not be aware, from reading another post about black interiors being hot.

BMW's with I-drive allow you to vent the interior of your car twice a day. This allows your car to be much cooler when anticipating getting into it (after work, after shopping, etc).

Enter "CLIMATE CONTROL", scroll over to "PARKED CAR OPERATION", and then set the timers. What else will they think of..............:)

Dann902
05-08-2010, 11:07 AM
:thumbup:

JerseyGeorge
05-08-2010, 11:06 PM
:thumbup:+2

Great option for the summer!

-Howitzer-
05-08-2010, 11:08 PM
HOLY CRAP! I never knew what that meant until now! haha

hairball
05-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Not to knock your tip, but I would just save my battery and not use at all. All it does is turn the fan on and blow the hot air. The compressor doesn't come on.

JerseyGeorge
05-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Not to knock your tip, but I would just save my battery and not use at all. All it does is turn the fan on and blow the hot air. The compressor doesn't come on.

You're correct.....it turns the fan on and vents out the 130F air! Nobodys claiming it's air conditioning but it does cool down the interior a bit making it more comforatable! How does it "save" your battery?

hairball
05-09-2010, 12:46 AM
You're correct.....it turns the fan on and vents out the 130F air! Nobodys claiming it's air conditioning but it does cool down the interior a bit making it more comforatable! How does it "save" your battery?

I doesn't get rid of 130 degree (or even 100 degree) anything. You obviously haven't used the feature in the summer time. You might get some benefit if you're parked in the shade, but in the direct sun... no way! Call me dumb, but I thought it takes electrical power to run a fan.

TRS550
05-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I've been playing with this feature a bit and have had the best luck with cracking the sunroof just an inch or so when having the fan kick on. It made a significant difference over;

a. Just having the sunroof cracked, fan off or

b. Fan on, car closed up.

But neither one beat;

c. park in the shade.

JerseyGeorge
05-09-2010, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=hairball;5169296]I doesn't get rid of 130 degree (or even 100 degree) anything. You obviously haven't used the feature in the summer time. You might get some benefit if you're parked in the shade, but in the direct sun... no way! Call me dumb, but I thought it takes electrical power to run a fan.[/QUOTE

I have used this feature and it does work. Agreed it dosen't cool the car off like AC but it does cool the interior down to make it more bearable. I think you need to relax and calm down your tone! Were all here trying to help one another not argue! You go ahead and "save" your battery that's your choice but do you realize the battery recharges:thumbup:

mleerob
05-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I wanted to share this, as many may not be aware, from reading another post about black interiors being hot.

BMW's with I-drive allow you to vent the interior of your car twice a day. This allows your car to be much cooler when anticipating getting into it (after work, after shopping, etc).

Enter "CLIMATE CONTROL", scroll over to "PARKED CAR OPERATION", and then set the timers. What else will they think of..............:)

I just started using this feature last week, to vent the car just before I get in to drive home
in the hot afternoon heat.
Agree, it helps a lot,and is something I have never had on any other car I every owned.

djfitter
05-10-2010, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=hairball;5169296]I doesn't get rid of 130 degree (or even 100 degree) anything. You obviously haven't used the feature in the summer time. You might get some benefit if you're parked in the shade, but in the direct sun... no way! Call me dumb, but I thought it takes electrical power to run a fan.[/QUOTE

I have used this feature and it does work. Agreed it dosen't cool the car off like AC but it does cool the interior down to make it more bearable. I think you need to relax and calm down your tone! Were all here trying to help one another not argue! You go ahead and "save" your battery that's your choice but do you realize the battery recharges:thumbup:

His tone is his tone and he just offered an opinion on his use of the feature, and IMO, he's pretty much right.
As to the battery issue, obviously you have not heard of the battery/charging issues of the newer BMW's ("You don't drive enough, get a battery tender"). :)

dj

sph17
05-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Although this feature may me more intuitive to use with i-drive, my old obsolete 2003 E39 has this feature also.

Every time I want to use it I have to take out the owners manual because I keep forgetting how to do it with the non i drive push button center console.

I can set it to turn on two times for up to 30 min (I believe). It limits the time the fan runs to save the battery.

x3ronnie
05-10-2010, 03:11 PM
As to the battery issue, the manual says that is a significant draw on the battery and not to use twice before running the engine. The advisory seems to imply that if you use the feature 2 times in a row while parked, you may need a jump start. I have never used it for fear or draining the battery to the point that the car may not start. I figure lowering the windows and opening the roof when walking up to the car,combined with running the A/C with everything open, should cool things down rapidly.

JerseyGeorge
05-10-2010, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=JerseyGeorge;5170033]

His tone is his tone and he just offered an opinion on his use of the feature, and IMO, he's pretty much right.
As to the battery issue, obviously you have not heard of the battery/charging issues of the newer BMW's ("You don't drive enough, get a battery tender"). :)

dj

"his tone is his tone"

Certainly glad you cleared that up.....now I can sleep:thumbup:

He assumed I never used the auto-vent feature....I have! Now you're assuming I've never heard of the battery issues......again I have. I use the auto-vent once a day when it's hot and have NEVER had my battery die. Have you Fitter used this feature and had your battery die? Do you Fitter know if Hairball used the auto-vent and had his battery die?? Please if you have first hand experience with this please tell us about it but so far your total contribution to this thread is "his tone is his tone" And "IMO he's pretty much right".

I have given my experience with the auto-vent and stated that I'm pleased and I stand by that statement. If anyone wants to discuss it further just pm me cause I'm done with the thread and the guys who just want to argue:wahwah:

djfitter
05-10-2010, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=djfitter;5172241]

"his tone is his tone"

Certainly glad you cleared that up.....now I can sleep:thumbup:

He assumed I never used the auto-vent feature....I have! Now you're assuming I've never heard of the battery issues......again I have. I use the auto-vent once a day when it's hot and have NEVER had my battery die. Have you Fitter used this feature and had your battery die? Do you Fitter know if Hairball used the auto-vent and had his battery die?? Please if you have first hand experience with this please tell us about it but so far your total contribution to this thread is "his tone is his tone" And "IMO he's pretty much right".

I have given my experience with the auto-vent and stated that I'm pleased and I stand by that statement. If anyone wants to discuss it further just pm me cause I'm done with the thread and the guys who just want to argue:wahwah:

SEYgeorge. Who pissed in your Cheerios. I stated I agreed with hairball which means YES I have tried it :tsk:
hairball brought up the potential for battery drain problems and by the way so does the owners manual. Whether I or Hairball has had an issue is moot as the possibility is there given the battery issues that you admit to knowing about. :tsk:
Your one mans contribution isn't worth any more than any others and I couldn't care less if you sleep at night.

dj