PDA

View Full Version : decision between a CPO 07 530XI or a 08 535XI

20fleming
05-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi All

After quite a few months of looking for a wagon I've actually found a couple of good cars, but here is my dilemma. One is a CPO 07 with 30000miles for about $32,500. Options include heated seats only (no CWP), premium, sport package, PDC and NAV or an 08 ( early built mind you) with 36000mile, similar asking price as the 07 CWP and premium package, NAV and HUD.

Iíve spoken to the dealer where the 08 was serviced and early on there was a problem with the injectors but there has not been anything major for the past couple of years.

Tough choice :dunno:

Feedback would be appreciated

TRS550
05-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Regardless of the higher HP and torque in the 535, no sport pkg is a deal breaker.

But that's just me.

Nube1kenobi
05-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Are you in Vancouver, BC or Vancouver, WA?

I think you're close enough to trek and look at this: 2007 BMW530XI (http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?ct=u&car_id=279410528&dealer_id=54303346&car_year=2007&dealership_view_name=www.kerosautobrokers.com&model=530XI&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&result_car_id=null&fuel=&search_type=both&suppressStyle=null&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&sort_type=priceDESC&advanced=&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=7674)

Munich77
05-08-2010, 07:50 PM
The sports package on the xi is merely cosmetic. I would go for the 535 xi. The car drives like a rocket ship - I have one and love it. Only downside is the dreaded HPFP - yes I said the four letter word. Either way you will love driving the car.

20fleming
05-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Are you in Vancouver, BC or Vancouver, WA?

I think you're close enough to trek and look at this: 2007 BMW530XI (http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?ct=u&car_id=279410528&dealer_id=54303346&car_year=2007&dealership_view_name=www.kerosautobrokers.com&model=530XI&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&result_car_id=null&fuel=&search_type=both&suppressStyle=null&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&sort_type=priceDESC&advanced=&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=7674)

Thanks for the link, I'm in BC. Unfotunately it's not a wagon but it is fully loaded. If it wasn't for 2 large dogs a sedan would work fine.

Ralph III
05-09-2010, 07:59 AM
The sports package on the xi is merely cosmetic. I would go for the 535 xi. The car drives like a rocket ship - I have one and love it. Only downside is the dreaded HPFP - yes I said the four letter word. Either way you will love driving the car.

This is the second post I have seen in as many days about the 530xi's sport package as being merely "cosmetic", in this case you said "xi"? Can you explain as many professionals/sites state otherwise.

"the Sport Package for the 525i ($2,500) and 530i and 550i ($2,800) with BMWs Active Steering and Active Body Control systems, 18-inch wheels with performance tires, more potent brakes and sport seats...." source Automobile.com, car review, http://www.automobile.com/2007-bmw-5-series.html

We just got an '07 530xi and is a fantastic car! Found one fully loaded (sport, premium, logic 7, park assist, nav, 20pt seats, etc), showroom condition, 35k miles. Though it was non-cpo I negotiated and walked out the door well under $28k.

The car is absolutely awesome and has plenty of power when I want to let loose. Unless you really want to burn up the roads, 300hp or 360hp for that matter, is well more than we need. I am most impressed when on the interstate and with it's complete ease at handling curves.

Good luck

Adumbration
05-09-2010, 08:33 AM
This is the second post I have seen in as many days about the 530xi's sport package as being only "cosmetic"? Can you explain as many professionals/sites state otherwise.

Adding the sport package option to an 'i' model includes a number of things like:
- Sport tuned suspension
- Sport steering wheel
- Black trim

But adding the sport package to an 'xi' model does not include the sport tuned suspension.

Thus, on an 'xi' it is really only cosmetic. You can check this on the bmwusa build & buy feature.

Adumbration
05-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi All

After quite a few months of looking for a wagon I've actually found a couple of good cars, but here is my dilemma. One is a CPO 07 with 30000miles for about $32,500. Options include heated seats only (no CWP), premium, sport package, PDC and NAV or an 08 ( early built mind you) with 36000mile, similar asking price as the 07 CWP and premium package, NAV and HUD.

Iíve spoken to the dealer where the 08 was serviced and early on there was a problem with the injectors but there has not been anything major for the past couple of years.

Tough choice :dunno:

Feedback would be appreciated

I'd go with the 07. I had a similar choice and that's what I did. The main factor in my decision was expected reliability. At the time, I had to guess about the difference in reliability, but today you have years of data to guide your decision.

Also, in my opinion heated seats and PDC are highly desirable options. I have heated seats in the front and rear, and not only do I really appreciate this option when it's cold outside but women absolutely love it. It's also hot enough that it's actually therapeutic if you have a sore back. PDC works very well, and makes parking in tight spaces a breeze. If I were ordering a new BMW, I would never order it without these two options.

HUD is also a very decent option, but is second order in importance in my opinion.

Good luck with your choice!

Ralph III
05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I'd go with the 07. I had a similar choice and that's what I did. The main factor in my decision was expected reliability. At the time, I had to guess about the difference in reliability, but today you have years of data to guide your decision.

Also, in my opinion heated seats and PDC are highly desirable options.

Good luck with your choice!

I definetly agree with the park assist, especially for garage parking. One thing we discovered in looking for a car is that it is highly difficult in finding a pre-owned with every option! Unless budget is a non issue but then you still have to consider mileage, condition and whether any warranty.

Do not overlook the 530i or xi, whatever you prefer.

Ralph III
05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Adding the sport package option to an 'i' model includes a number of things like:
- Sport tuned suspension
- Sport steering wheel
- Black trim

But adding the sport package to an 'xi' model does not include the sport tuned suspension.

Thus, on an 'xi' it is really only cosmetic. You can check this on the bmwusa build & buy feature.

I really don't understand what you are saying! The "xi" is just an all wheel drive option. The sport package is just that, a sport package option, which includes some cosmetic features as well as performace features. This as I have read and clearly noted by automobile.com and others as Edmunds, etc.

I checked BMW-USA under "build and buy" as you suggested, and they do not denote under sport package any performance features with the "i" either. It only lists the cosmetic features.

If you have something which specifically says the sport package on the "xi" is indeed different or inferior to the sport package on an "i" please post a link.

Otherwise, as I cannot find any distinction will assume for now it is the same and will verify with BMW on Monday out of curiousity.

Take care

Adumbration
05-09-2010, 01:08 PM
I really don't understand what you are saying! The "xi" is just an all wheel drive option. The sport package is just that, a sport package option, which includes some cosmetic features as well as performace features. This as I have read and clearly noted by automobile.com and others as Edmunds, etc.

I checked BMW-USA under "build and buy" as you suggested, and they do not denote under sport package any performance features with the "i" either. It only lists the cosmetic features.

If you have something which specifically says the sport package on the "xi" is indeed different or inferior to the sport package on an "i" please post a link.

Otherwise, as I cannot find any distinction will assume for now it is the same and will verify with BMW on Monday out of curiousity.

Take care

Sorry, they recently changed the bmwusa website, removing the E60.

Here's a snapshot from my 2007 5-series brochure (my red highlight):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=229412&stc=1&d=1273435495

Same was true for the E60 LCI models (08+).

Ralph III
05-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Sorry, they recently changed the bmwusa website, removing the E60.

Here's a snapshot from my 2007 5-series brochure (my red highlight):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=229412&stc=1&d=1273435495

Same was true for the E60 LCI models (08+).

That is interesting. I finally found an article which states the sport packages available are indeed different on rear wheel versus all wheel drive vehicles. Noting the difference being the ARS and Sport Suspension Calibration, as you have listed.

However, I am assuming there must be a reason for this? Either they are unable to accomodate for such -or- they feel the all wheel drive vehicles sufficient already and thus do not need those additional features as two wheel drivers may want?

Lastly, again if you go to BMW-USA they do not list any sport suspension features under "sport packages", only cosmetic. They do however have a seperate "Dynamic Handling Package" which must be the ARS and SSC?

This seems quite plausible, so people might not assume they are automatically getting the ARS and SSC on their "i" just because they have the sport package?

I will call BMW tomorrow and attempt to get clarification.

mrich1353
05-09-2010, 05:08 PM
The XI will also sit higher than the I with Sport package. The profile and stance is completely different. Look side by side at the Sport Package wheel on XI and the I, you will see the XI's appear flatter because of the offset versus the wheel looking deep on the I.
I came from a 2006 530XI to a 535I with Sport Package as well as Sport Transmission package. The XI & I are different animals. The XI is great for all weather, but 90% of the weather not requiring all wheel drive makes up the difference. The XI was my first BMW and I kept wondering what is all the fuss about BMW - going to a rear drive Sport Package made the difference I was looking for.

sph17
05-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I was looking at a 528xi with the Sport Package and it did not have RFT, it had Continental CV95 all season tires, with a spare tire.

The BMW Dealer explained that the five series xi could be obtained either with RFT or All Season tires with a spare.

20fleming
05-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I'll go for the 535xiT first. Hopefully I can made a deal by the end of the week