PDA

View Full Version : I think I found the car! Good deal? 550i w SMG

sgnden
05-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Hello...

I drove an 07 550i with an SMG tranny, sport package, Nav, Logic7, and 33k miles. Great car.

I have decided to stop d^*king around analyzing things to death (to the extent I can) so now I KNOW I am getting an 07 550. However it needs to be the right one of course.

They have it listed at $36k (CPO). Can any of you tell em what these are going for in the "real world"?

I am sooo psyched...just need the right deal now.

Ralph III
05-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Hello...

I drove an 07 550i with an SMG tranny, sport package, Nav, Logic7, and 33k miles. Great car.

I have decided to stop d^*king around analyzing things to death (to the extent I can) so now I KNOW I am getting an 07 550. However it needs to be the right one of course.

They have it listed at $36k (CPO). Can any of you tell em what these are going for in the "real world"?

I am sooo psyched...just need the right deal now.

We looked at one at BMW of Mobile, 2007, smg, sport, nav, sunshades, cpo, etc. with 35k miles. Immaculate car!

They started out at $36k, then down to $34k (when we test drove), then $32,900.00. over a four week period. I really think the car went just below or at 32k. I offered 28k after being pressed to make an offer (That was our budget as explained). The salesman said he would submit but we knew that was to low. He stated the manager would approve 32k however.

Car was like new and a dream drive. I just don't think SMG would have been practical for us and kids. Ecstatic however with the fully loaded 530xi we found!

Good luck

sgnden
05-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks Ralph. Yeah, this is a "no haggle" dealer and the sales guy is one of these guys who like to act like he could not care less about the deal...well, maybe he doesn't ...but in any event, he is definitely too high. We'll see.

Ralph III
05-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks Ralph. Yeah, this is a "no haggle" dealer and the sales guy is one of these guys who like to act like he could not care less about the deal...well, maybe he doesn't ...but in any event, he is definitely too high. We'll see.

Go to their website and search pre-owned. Our dealership website showed how long they had the car and the price adjustments made.

My wife loved that car so I was hard pressed to find something she could settle for. Our 530xi has 20pt comfort seats and the park assist, which the 550i did not have, so she is cloud nine. That 550i is sweat however!

Research BMW-USA, Autotrader and cars.com to find similar. Then let them know they are possibly high and make an offer. All they can do is say "no". ;)

thebmw
05-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Hard to say what is a good price for this particular car without seeing it. Manheim is between 29,500-32,500 based on condition and equipment. So assuming perfect condition all around and loaded, he's not going below 33K IMO (and that's pre CPO). So in that case, 34-35K is a fair deal. In average condition (your usual wear) and partially loaded, 32K is a fair deal.

sgnden
05-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks. Is SMG a "pro" or a "con" when it comes to the dealership trying to sell it. I seem to recall some years ago that they were not selling very well.

The mileage is in-line and the car is good condition, thought the leather is worn on the shift lever, there is some curb-rash on the wheels, and big ding on the side of the roof...all things they said they'd fix.

I start to wonder if SMG's are also just driven harder...you know how you can almost get that sense from a car?

$35,500 is their price right now...we'll see. I don't mind flying to pick one up, so there are plenty to choose from.

Ralph III
05-08-2010, 03:41 PM
THEBMW may be correct in that he may not go below 33k. That would still be a good price for an excellent 550i. However, I don't agree it impossible to find a better deal on an immaculate CPO, as we test drove one. Dealers don't won't to keep these cars on the books and end of month is best negotiating time.

thebmw
05-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Remember, geography, supply (usually regionally), dealer's sales volume that month, etc all play a role in the "out-the-door" price.

skylolow
05-09-2010, 03:55 AM
Thanks. Is SMG a "pro" or a "con" when it comes to the dealership trying to sell it. I seem to recall some years ago that they were not selling very well.

The mileage is in-line and the car is good condition, thought the leather is worn on the shift lever, there is some curb-rash on the wheels, and big ding on the side of the roof...all things they said they'd fix.

I start to wonder if SMG's are also just driven harder...you know how you can almost get that sense from a car?

$35,500 is their price right now...we'll see. I don't mind flying to pick one up, so there are plenty to choose from.

SMG's didn't sell well. It had a lot to do with how they where marketed and understood by salesmen. Many sales people tried passing it off as "you want manual and your wife wants automatic, so buy SMG". Well auto mode in SMG is laughable and nobody is going to be happy with it. SMG is a manual so to try to pass it off as an automatic just doesn't work.

I won't say there driven harder just because its SMG. If someone was beating on a traditional manual car compared to a SMG(which inner workings are the same as manual) chances are very high the SMG would have less overall wear when talking about the inners of the transmission. Simply because SMG takes the users error(clutch pedal) out of the equation. Plus I'd guess many owners of SMG are more "car guys" then say a guy buying an automatic generally speaking. So it isn't out of the question the car might have been taking care of better.

sgnden
05-09-2010, 08:40 AM
SMG's didn't sell well. It had a lot to do with how they where marketed and understood by salesmen. Many sales people tried passing it off as "you want manual and your wife wants automatic, so buy SMG". Well auto mode in SMG is laughable and nobody is going to be happy with it. SMG is a manual so to try to pass it off as an automatic just doesn't work.

I won't say there driven harder just because its SMG. If someone was beating on a traditional manual car compared to a SMG(which inner workings are the same as manual) chances are very high the SMG would have less overall wear when talking about the inners of the transmission. Simply because SMG takes the users error(clutch pedal) out of the equation. Plus I'd guess many owners of SMG are more "car guys" then say a guy buying an automatic generally speaking. So it isn't out of the question the car might have been taking care of better.

Great point skylolow. That is, a more specialized vehicle may have attracted a more knowledgeable operator. Of course, with a lease, I imagine anyone would do just the basics...but I can't get wrapped around the axle 'guessing' about that.

The main thing that bugs me about this deal is that the dealer does not have even the little receipts from oil changes and misc smaller things....unless absolutely nothing went wrong over 30k miles. Of course, I keep every detail and receipt on my motorcycles and/or cars..but that's just me. They do have the history for all of the major services and a couple of SIB's.

Thanks again. Hoping I can get them to the right price and get me out of this analysis mode! I can be a real PITA if I am not getting the facts. ;^)

GoRavens
05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
That is an OK price. It has very low miles and you will be able to take full advantage of the 4 year/50K miles original warranty. Mine just ran out due to 51K miles. What is the original “in-service” date? If they will not budge on the price… tell them you want an installed Ipod hook-up, new Navigation DVD and soemthing else that you might have had in mind. Is BMW NA still offering 0.9% financing?

sgnden
05-10-2010, 01:29 PM
That is an OK price. It has very low miles and you will be able to take full advantage of the 4 year/50K miles original warranty. Mine just ran out due to 51K miles. What is the original “in-service” date? If they will not budge on the price… tell them you want an installed Ipod hook-up, new Navigation DVD and soemthing else that you might have had in mind. Is BMW NA still offering 0.9% financing?

Thanks GoRavens. Yes, BMWNA is running the .9 OR "free" maintenance program.

This car is missing two things I really want (Logic7 and Cold Weather Pkg)...but if they do all of the cosmetic nits that I have pointed out (not cheap things - a small dent at the roofline, curb rash on the wheels, worn SMG shift knob, new mats, and see if they can do anything about the seat having a big folded-over crease from whoever sat there the past 3 years)...then maybe it's in the game....we'll see.

GoRavens
05-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks GoRavens. Yes, BMWNA is running the .9 OR "free" maintenance program.

This car is missing two things I really want (Logic7 and Cold Weather Pkg)...but if they do all of the cosmetic nits that I have pointed out (not cheap things - a small dent at the roofline, curb rash on the wheels, worn SMG shift knob, new mats, and see if they can do anything about the seat having a big folded-over crease from whoever sat there the past 3 years)...then maybe it's in the game....we'll see.

Your original post said it had Logic 7. I would REALLY miss my Logic 7. If you still live in Denver... you will really miss the cold weather package. Does it have heated seats? If not, I would keep looking. Also, the curb rash should be fixed per CPO and the dealer will be credited for any worn int. parts. Anyone can take advantage of worn replacement parts if their car is still under the 4year/50K warranty. Do not feel that the dealer is doing anything special for you. Dents/scratches should also be fixed per CPO. Not sure about the seat??? Must have been a ex Denver Bronco driving the car.

mleerob
05-10-2010, 01:57 PM
If I wanted cold weather pkg,and found a good deal on a car without it, I would pass it up.

sgnden
05-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Your original post said it had Logic 7. I would REALLY miss my Logic 7. If you still live in Denver... you will really miss the cold weather package. Does it have heated seats? If not, I would keep looking. Also, the curb rash should be fixed per CPO and the dealer will be credited for any worn int. parts. Anyone can take advantage of worn replacement parts if their car is still under the 4year/50K warranty. Do not feel that the dealer is doing anything special for you. Dents/scratches should also be fixed per CPO. Not sure about the seat??? Must have been a ex Denver Bronco driving the car.

Ha! Yeah...and trust me, as an ex serious Bronco's guy, it pains me to even write your screen-name <grin>. I am 6'3" 260, so I am sure I won't do that seat any favors either. Aaanyway...

Yes, the dealer is annoying me for sure. The sales guy is semi-worthless, I hate to say...he originally said "yes, that's Logic7"...and in response to my twice asking if it had the Cold Weather Package said "It has heated seats." (but did not say clearly that it did NOT have cold weather pkg).

I see a LOT of good candidate cars located in CA...and I am more than willing to fly one-way and drive back...which is looking like may be the direction to go. Just don't see the 550i much in CO....which is part of the attraction to me.

I think I'll post a question for especially high-quality dealers to contact around the country. Just want people to shoot straight, deal in facts, and cut to the chase where the $ is concerned...sheesh.

Ralph III
05-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Ha! Yeah...and trust me, as an ex serious Bronco's guy, it pains me to even write your screen-name <grin>. I am 6'3" 260, so I am sure I won't do that seat any favors either. Aaanyway...

Yes, the dealer is annoying me for sure. The sales guy is semi-worthless, I hate to say...he originally said "yes, that's Logic7"...and in response to my twice asking if it had the Cold Weather Package said "It has heated seats." (but did not say clearly that it did NOT have cold weather pkg).

I see a LOT of good candidate cars located in CA...and I am more than willing to fly one-way and drive back...which is looking like may be the direction to go. Just don't see the 550i much in CO....which is part of the attraction to me.

I think I'll post a question for especially high-quality dealers to contact around the country. Just want people to shoot straight, deal in facts, and cut to the chase where the $ is concerned...sheesh.

Sgnden, the 550i is a great car but are you sure you want smg? As our dealer stated and others on this thread, really is a specialized drivers car. It basically is a manual feeling vehicle so you will not get the smooth shifting as automatic. Unless you like that it could wear off and become annoying after a while?

Have you researched such as ebay, bmw-usa and autotrader for deals? Here is a quick list I found on autotrader as you seem dissapointed in your salesperson.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=0&address=36544&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=BMW&model=550I&make2=&start_year=2007&end_year=2008&min_price=29000&max_price=35000&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=45000&color=&keywordsrep=099101114116105102105101100&keywordsfyc=__Y2VydGlmaWVk__&keywords_display=certified&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=y&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=n&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&systime=&sownerid=64717479&rdm=1273525828654

Good luck though!

sgnden
05-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Sgnden, the 550i is a great car but are you sure you want smg? As our dealer stated and others on this thread, really is a specialized drivers car. It basically is a manual feeling vehicle so you will not get the smooth shifting as automatic. Unless you like that it could wear off and become annoying after a while?

Have you researched such as ebay, bmw-usa and autotrader for deals? Here is a quick list I found on autotrader as you seem dissapointed in your salesperson.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=0&address=36544&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=BMW&model=550I&make2=&start_year=2007&end_year=2008&min_price=29000&max_price=35000&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=45000&color=&keywordsrep=099101114116105102105101100&keywordsfyc=__Y2VydGlmaWVk__&keywords_display=certified&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=y&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=n&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&systime=&sownerid=64717479&rdm=1273525828654

Good luck though!

Thanks Ralph! Yeah...I am ALL over AutoTrader, BMWUSA, Ebay, CL, etc etc. Ya never know.

I drove the SMG for about 1 hour and thought is was fine and fun for the time I drove it. Love the steering wheel controls, very cool. I definitely think about the realities of living with it for a LONG time...as I want to keep this car for a long time (so I say now)...and true, not so sure I'll love it so much every single day.

I am leaning a bit toward just going with a basic auto/steptronic...especially since this car with the SMG is turning out to be a PITA dealing with the dealer sales guy. I am going to look out-of-state where there are many more of these (e.g. CA).

thebmw
05-10-2010, 03:45 PM
If I wanted cold weather pkg,and found a good deal on a car without it, I would pass it up.

Not if you lived in Chicago!