PDA

View Full Version : cold air intake

bmw5guy
05-08-2010, 02:48 PM
hello all,
i am interested in knowing if a cold air intake is really worth adding to my 528i
are there pros & cons
thanks bmw5guy

anomal
05-26-2010, 08:41 PM
It will make some difference. But, it will not be dramatic. For the same money you could get a shark injector. I got one from TMS last summer. I figure that I got a few more horsepower. Other features add up for much better performance than, perhaps 10 hp, would suggest. The drive-by-wire seems to be quite direct now. I remember pedal feeling "mushy" before because of the slow ramp up of power. Not any more. Also, the rev limiter is raised 500 rpm. This really makes a difference in our cars. And, finally, the mapping is more aggressive. You have to stick with premium, but I always did anyway. This allows for more aggressive timing settings.

I have a 2002 530i. Your profile suggests a 528i. You might see higher gains than I did. I do not recall if the shark injector affects your transmission if it is automatic. I am pretty sure that Dinan does. By altering the shift points, your car should be a lot more responsive.

topless328
06-15-2010, 05:54 AM
i would debaffle the airbox and put in k And n filter..ANd like other post said buy a shark injector well worth it..You will get the same performance gain with a debaffled air box compaired to CAI