PDA

View Full Version : Tree falls on loaner car

mwatt128
05-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I have a loaner car, specifically a 2010 528xi, which I parked on the street, under a tree. The car has less than 500 miles. A strong wind storm broke a limb on a tree, which fell on the trunk of the car, leaving a dent. Police report taken. Has this happened to anyone else? Would I have to go through my insurance, the city insurance or will the dealer take the loss? If anyone has an answer or a thought, please respond. Thank you.

Nube1kenobi
05-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Your insurance.

JerseyGeorge
05-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Your insurance will not cover the damage. The dealer has insurance for thier cars......don't worry!

Nube1kenobi
05-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Your insurance will not cover the damage. The dealer has insurance for thier cars......don't worry!

My insurance had to cover a loaner scrape damage for me. BUT, the difference is that I was driving it and his is stationary... :dunno:

hairball
05-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Your insurance should cover any car you drive. This is considered an Act of God and should be covered by your insurance.

JerseyGeorge
05-08-2010, 10:59 PM
My insurance had to cover a loaner scrape damage for me. BUT, the difference is that I was driving it and his is stationary... :dunno:

Maybe it's different from one state to the next......or maybe I'm wrong! you having used your insurance proves that it can be done!

jagu
05-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Start by looking at your loaner agreement. This was not due to your negligence but simply an act of God. You may still be responsible under the bailment agreement if it says so and it will be a comprehensive claim under your insurance policy.

Nube1kenobi
05-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Maybe it's different from one state to the next......or maybe I'm wrong! you having used your insurance proves that it can be done!

I don't think you are wrong... I live in a no-fault state. My insurance covers rentals and courtesy cars...

jeffbtx
05-09-2010, 05:20 AM
I have a loaner car, specifically a 2010 528xi, which I parked on the street, under a tree. The car has less than 500 miles. A strong wind storm broke a limb on a tree, which fell on the trunk of the car, leaving a dent. Police report taken. Has this happened to anyone else? Would I have to go through my insurance, the city insurance or will the dealer take the loss? If anyone has an answer or a thought, please respond. Thank you.

What does the loaner agreement say - you must have signed something before you left the dealer?

todd92
05-09-2010, 05:48 AM
Not covered by the dealers insurance. Loaner is no different than any rental car agreement, you are responsible for damage. Your insurance will cover the claim under comprehensive. You are responsible for the deductible. Good luck getting a dime out of the city and I don't think they have any liability here anyway. Look at it this way, if you hadn't had your car in for service, it would have fallen on your car not the loaner, and you would be in the exact same position.

stanj
05-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I guess technically it depends on the loaner agreement, but every one I've come across specifically requires you to bring the car back in the same condition it was given to you. So any damage to it while it was in your care is on your buck/insurance.

Only way someone else could be liable, such as the city or if the tree were on someone's property, is if they were negligent in not taking care of the tree (eg, tree branch was rotting away). Even then, I think it's a stretch.

You're probably going to have to look to your comprehensive insurance coverage. Since it was an act of God, your rates shouldn't increase because of the claim.

Did the dealer charge you for the loaner? If so and if you used a credit card to pay for it, you might be able to get the credit card company to cover your deductible. Not sure if they'd agree that it was a "rental" car, though.

Good luck.