PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a CPO car for an independant PPI?

sgnden
05-08-2010, 10:19 PM
So now that I am decided on getting an '07 550i CPO, I am looking at one at a big dealer that is being sold CPO.

My instinct is to take it to another dealer to have a PPI done...but wondering if that is silly since they are going to stand behind it with CPO warranty.

They have the BMW service records and have sent me a Car Fax, but they don't have any other records from the previous owner (Lease return)...which bugs me as I'd like to see all records (oil changes, etc.)...and the service records they provided does not show oil changes..just the services performed at the original BMW dealer.

It's also equipped with the SMG tranny, so in the back of my mind, could have been driven hard too.

Thoughts?

JerseyGeorge
05-08-2010, 10:35 PM
You don't sound satisfied so stay away from the car and keep looking. Any CPO'd car should have complete service records. Go with your gut feelings!!

OKC
05-08-2010, 11:34 PM
All they need to do is put the key fob in the service departments computer and they can tell you when the car was serviced, every service done at a BMW dealer that is. On a lease I am willing to bet the previous owner only did the free service at a BMW dealer and not any more. If they say they don't have that it is a red flag to me.

OKC
05-08-2010, 11:35 PM
As for the SMG...I LOVE IT!!!

grant6398
05-08-2010, 11:53 PM
all they need to do is put the key fob in the service departments computer and they can tell you when the car was serviced, every service done at a bmw dealer that is. On a lease i am willing to bet the previous owner only did the free service at a bmw dealer and not any more. If they say they don't have that it is a red flag to me.

+1

skylolow
05-09-2010, 04:38 AM
I won't get a PPI done on a CPO. Chances are there going to find nothing as part of CPOing car is basically a full PPI. Now some dealers are better then others, but chances are even the worse dealer will perform a simple PPI. Plus you still got your full BMW warranty so anything wrong is 100% covered. Then when that runs out you got the CPO warranty to cover all the major items.

If you like the car then try to make the deal work on the $$$$$ side of things.

jeffbtx
05-09-2010, 06:18 AM
So now that I am decided on getting an '07 550i CPO, I am looking at one at a big dealer that is being sold CPO.

My instinct is to take it to another dealer to have a PPI done...but wondering if that is silly since they are going to stand behind it with CPO warranty.

They have the BMW service records and have sent me a Car Fax, but they don't have any other records from the previous owner (Lease return)...which bugs me as I'd like to see all records (oil changes, etc.)...and the service records they provided does not show oil changes..just the services performed at the original BMW dealer.

It's also equipped with the SMG tranny, so in the back of my mind, could have been driven hard too.

Thoughts?I wouldn't spend the extra for a PPI on a CPO car. But ask for the CPO checklist so you can see what exactly was done (and not done) - brakes, tires, etc.

sgnden
05-09-2010, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't spend the extra for a PPI on a CPO car. But ask for the CPO checklist so you can see what exactly was done (and not done) - brakes, tires, etc.

Good idea, Jeff. Thanks!

I am certainly the kind of guy who wants to have the facts (all of them)...which is in direct opposition to the way most dealers operate...it's tough for me to remain patient with some of those guys. Just shoot straight, provide full disclosure, align mutual interests (them selling/me buying) and put together a fair deal. Sounds easy enough...but sadly, very very few people can do that fully.

grateful1
05-10-2010, 11:33 AM
i wouldn't spend the extra for a ppi on a cpo car. But ask for the cpo checklist so you can see what exactly was done (and not done) - brakes, tires, etc.

+1

TRS550
05-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm in the minority here. For $75 my Indy will do a PPI. If something is out of whack on the car, $75 is chump change. Then you take that information back to the dealer and you say, fix this, this and this..... That $75 will pay for it's self in a heartbeat.

And if the PPI comes up everything roses, you're out $75. BFD.

See the post where the guy just found out the front bumper on his CPO car is misaligned. $75 woulda caught that.

GoRavens
05-10-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm in the minority here. For $75 my Indy will do a PPI. If something is out of whack on the car, $75 is chump change. Then you take that information back to the dealer and you say, fix this, this and this..... That $75 will pay for it's self in a heartbeat.

And if the PPI comes up everything roses, you're out $75. BFD.

See the post where the guy just found out the front bumper on his CPO car is misaligned. $75 woulda caught that.

+1 The CPO check is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!! BMW NA does not even hold the dealers responsible for making sure they do a proper CPO check. I had many, many things missed on my car.