PDA

View Full Version : How does used car dealers work?

kendykong
05-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the used car dealers work. e.g. how and where they got the cars from? Heard that most of the cars the used car dealers have bought from were the refuse from the BMW car dealers, is this true?

Any good advice to buy a used 2006 BMW 525i from a used car dealer?

Much appreciated!

JerseyGeorge
05-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Used car dealers get vehices from auctions and individuals trading their cars in. New car dealers can't keep everything they get in trade so the higher milage cars go to auction. CARFAX CARFAX CARFAX for any vehicle from either type dealership and service records if available.

kendykong
05-08-2010, 10:40 PM
But, I heard CARFAX is not reliable...

kendykong
05-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Couple things I found suspicious with the 525i I saw at the used car dealer are:
1. The odometer says 76Km and they have all 4 tires replaced (Good Year Tires), is this right to replace the tires with this mileage?
2. The left mirror was tarnish on the top left corner, any comment? Is it only a defect mirror or something more serious?

Thanks,

JerseyGeorge
05-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Is Carfax 100% reliable.....no.....but it's a tool that you can use. Getting the car inspected isn't 100% reliable either! Yes, high performance tires are soft and wear faster. Not sure what you mean with the mirror.:dunno:

JBU2010
05-09-2010, 09:45 AM
I would definitely use Carfax! If you are looking at several vehicles, use Carfax to zero on in just a select few. Then you can start doing in-depth research on the select few.

kendykong
05-09-2010, 12:05 PM
I meant the mirror has a patch on the left side, just like a bathroom mirror, you see sometimes, there is some 'grey patches' on the corners.

Ralph III
05-09-2010, 01:45 PM
I agree Carfax is a must and a highly respected service/tool! Ebay and others use Autocheck which as I have read can have some listing errors? Get the dealership to provide you with that.

All of my cars have been preowned and never an issue. Whether from dealer or auction. You just need to research the car's history and look it over well. Take it to a mechanic or dealership for an inspection if you cannot do yourself.

Get the last 7 of vin and call into BMW-USA. They will give you the servicing dealerships, who can give you the history of the car.

One good point to note is with BMW's 4/50k warranty and free maintenance. So look for a lower mileage car as most likely serviced well, regularly and proper.

BLT
05-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Couple things I found suspicious with the 525i I saw at the used car dealer are:
1. The odometer says 76Km and they have all 4 tires replaced (Good Year Tires), is this right to replace the tires with this mileage?
2. The left mirror was tarnish on the top left corner, any comment? Is it only a defect mirror or something more serious?

Thanks,

Yes, I have yet to best 15K miles on the OEM RFT tires before they have to be replaced.

grateful1
05-10-2010, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=JerseyGeorge;5169188]Is Carfax 100% reliable.....no.....but it's a tool that you can use. QUOTE]

+1