PDA

View Full Version : E60 Upgrades: care 2 share your opinion?

armin00as
05-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to the Forum and already have a ton of questions for ya.. :rolleyes:
Trying to read up on other folks' posts didn't quite yield the desired results, and that's why I'm looking for your input on these questions. I haven't done much modding in my life (yet), but with a beautiful car like this, it seems to be the right time to start. So bear with me if my questions seem too ignorant/dumb.. -- Thx!

First things first, my (latest) Bimmer is a 2007 530i (E60) in Black Sapphire Metallic with Sport Package (see pic) and tinted windows. It came with 18" 5-Series Sport Package Tires (245/45/18) all-around:

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/armin00as_photos/E60%20Bimmer%20Pics/WBANE73537CM47810_5.jpg http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/armin00as_photos/E60%20Bimmer%20Pics/WBANE73537CM47810.jpg http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/armin00as_photos/E60%20Bimmer%20Pics/WBANE73537CM47810_6.jpg

WHAT I'D LIKE TO DO:
>> Get a more sporty/aggressive look. I kinda like my ride "murdered-out"/black themed, but I can't go all-out, as the look may be considered "too pretentious" and get me in trouble with my boss... :fingers:
I am not racing on tracks, and don't intend to do so. Just all-year road use. (Note: will get another set for winter use).

Project 1: WHEELS & TIRES - Look, size, color, offset, brands ..????
After reading some other posts, I think that I want to stick with 18" wheels, especially since Chicagoland roads s*ck big-time, and I use my car for work primarily (driving 15-20K Miles/year around the Midwest).
Thinking about getting a set of VMR V710 (18x8.5) in Gunmetal, with 245/35/18 tires all-around. I think the same rims in Hyper Silver just look "too standard"... -- What do you think?
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/armin00as_photos/E60%20Bimmer%20Pics/VMRv710-GroupShotsm.jpg

And, what about the v710's? I've read somewhere they supposedly chip easily. Is that correct? What's you experience?

Moreover, l'd love my wheels to be staggered, but I'm afraid it may not be the right/best thing for lots of driving in the Midwest... (??) -- Is there a downside to running a staggered wheel set, as far as reliability is concerned (Summertime only). --- ??

I don't know the offset of my current stock wheels, but I guess it's something in the area of ET30 .. Of course, I don't want too much space between tire and well either, but that's a another project.
So.. what's your experience with the offset (front/rear) that I need for the v710's to be flush & good-looking? ModBargain's website offers two different offsets (ET20 and ET35), and I believe ET20 would get me that look. Anybody have experience with the "correct" offset for E60 and v710's on Sport Package --- ???

Project 2: DROPPING my car a bit (more)
I believe the 5-Series Sport Package already lowers the car a bit compared to the 'standard' package... correct? Considering the v710's that I'd like to get, do you think I should get my car lowered some more, especially since I already have the sport package? Anybody else running the same setup...?? Please share some pictures of your ride, please!!

I know, lots of questions from a n00b, guys... (mea culpa)
Your help & comments are much appreciated. Thanks!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Howitzer-
05-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi there,

WHAT I'D LIKE TO DO:
>> Get a more sporty/aggressive look. I kinda like my ride "murdered-out"/black themed, but I can't go all-out, as the look may be considered "too pretentious" and get me in trouble with my boss... :fingers:
I am not racing on tracks, and don't intend to do so. Just all-year road use. (Note: will get another set for winter use).

Project 1: WHEELS & TIRES - Look, size, color, offset, brands ..????
After reading some other posts, I think that I want to stick with 18" wheels, especially since Chicagoland roads s*ck big-time, and I use my car for work primarily (driving 15-20K Miles/year around the Midwest).
Thinking about getting a set of VMR V710 (18x8.5) in Gunmetal, with 245/35/18 tires all-around. I think the same rims in Hyper Silver just look "too standard"... -- What do you think?
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/armin00as_photos/E60%20Bimmer%20Pics/VMRv710-GroupShotsm.jpg

And, what about the v710's? I've read somewhere they supposedly chip easily. Is that correct? What's you experience?

Moreover, l'd love my wheels to be staggered, but I'm afraid it may not be the right/best thing for lots of driving in the Midwest... (??) -- Is there a downside to running a staggered wheel set, as far as reliability is concerned (Summertime only). --- ??

I don't know the offset of my current stock wheels, but I guess it's something in the area of ET30 .. Of course, I don't want too much space between tire and well either, but that's a another project.
So.. what's your experience with the offset (front/rear) that I need for the v710's to be flush & good-looking? ModBargain's website offers two different offsets (ET20 and ET35), and I believe ET20 would get me that look. Anybody have experience with the "correct" offset for E60 and v710's on Sport Package --- ???

Project 2: DROPPING my car a bit (more)
I believe the 5-Series Sport Package already lowers the car a bit compared to the 'standard' package... correct? Considering the v710's that I'd like to get, do you think I should get my car lowered some more, especially since I already have the sport package? Anybody else running the same setup...?? Please share some pictures of your ride, please!!

I know, lots of questions from a n00b, guys... (mea culpa)
Your help & comments are much appreciated. Thanks!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

1) You'll love staggered setup and its very common for a BMW to have it. Go for it.

2) VMR's are good wheels. I am in the Chicago area and I run 19's in the WINTER! I have no problems but you better be sure I zig-zag a lot around those damn pot holes.

3) For wheels, if you're doing 19's which I assume you are, you need the following tire sizes to not rub: 245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear. I recommend Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons. They are amazing.

4) If you get spacers, make sure they're hubcentric. Get some H&R spacers, they are good. Or, get wheels that have an offset for a flush look in the back. My OEM 166's are an M6 off-set.

5) My car has H&R sport springs and Koni yellow sport shocks/struts. I am about .5" or so lower than your car is with a stock sport suspension. If you do get new springs, make sure you get new shocks, too. I recommend KV2 coilover street comfort or JIC coilovers.

See my 1st post for pictures of my car's ride height.

armin00as
05-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Howitzer... much appreciated!!

Funny you should ask, but I noticed your 1st post just a few minutes ago - and here you are, giving me some real good suggestions already.. :) Thanks!

I dig your ride... nice one!

wolfgang0524
05-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Take a look over on http://forums.5series.net. There are a lot more members over there that mod their cars.

I like the V710's. I believe there is a black 3 series at work with them in silver. They look very sharp. If you want the wheels to stand out a little less, then I think the gunmetal would look nice.

The staggered setup looks very nice, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. You won't be able to rotate the tires. Wider tires don't perform as well in the snow. Seeing as how you have a rwd you may want to go with a summer set and a winter set anyway.

-Howitzer-
05-09-2010, 08:03 AM
He's right about the wider tire in the snow. However, I did suggest the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires out of experience with them in the Winter. I run 275's in the back with those tires and I seriously laughed at snow. No problems at all. Unfortunatley, they're like $300 per tire.

armin00as
05-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks, guys..!
19" sounds good to me; wanted to do 19" staggered from the start anyway.

In the meantime, however, I think I've changed my mind on the wheels: I'm all-over these awesome v701 in Texture Black Powdercoat..
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/armin00as_photos/E60%20Bimmer%20Pics/Black%20Wheels/v710Blackpowdercoatv710matteblack.jpg

Looks hot, doesn't it??!!
I like them much more than matte/glossy black, or even Gunmetal - especially if I go with a 'murder' theme... :)

armin00as
05-09-2010, 02:13 PM
I guess I will dash over to the other 5-Series board that Wolfgang0524 suggested... thanks, bud!
(Maybe, some other 530i is sporting a set of those wheels there already...?)

-Howitzer-
05-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Keep one thing in mind with black rims that you might not realize right off the bat. When you get a black open spoke wheel the eye natually sees what is past it aka the rotors / calipers. If you have rusted rotor hubs and rusty looking calipers (with really sharp wheels) you might not be 100% pleased with the look. Just an FYI. Black wheel is great, but usually for exotics and/or a car that has already had a lot of sporty modifications done (imo).

In other words, I am glad you have shadowline trim and a sport suspention already which will make it look good. Just consider painting your calipers black and your rotor hubs black, too. It will make a world of difference!!!!! Get a G2 Caliper paint kit for like $35 and some high-temperature silver or black grill paint from Home depot for the rotor hubs and you're golden! You can do it all yourself.

Here is what your car would look like with these wheels basically. But notice he has sport rotors cross-drilled as well as black calipers. Notice how quickly you notice those features because of the black wheel? Also, notice how he clearly needs to drop his car, really bad? hehe

armin00as
05-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Cool! thanks for sharing that shot, Howitzer!

I've been to EAS' picture gallery before, but I must have missed it.
As far as the rotors/calipers are concerned: I did think of that, thanks. Especially if I really go with the 701's, which are even more 'open', allowing more view/focus on rotors and calipers.

May need some cooler-looking rotors, though.
What's your experience with painting the calipers... in case you ever did paint them (...can't tell from your pics) ??

P.S., and on the side: How do you get your thumbnails to enlarge when clicked?

-Howitzer-
05-09-2010, 04:02 PM
I had a local shop paint my calipers for $200. In regards to the thumbnails? I just click them and they open up in my browser no problem. Make sure you have pop ups enabled for this website and you're using a recent browser I guess.

Edison@JleviSW
05-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Congrats on the new car! VMR has solid quality for the price, you do have to take care of them and cannot neglect the finish but they are designed to hold up very well over time and under normal daily use.

If you are interested in another option, we do offer powdercoats for VMR wheels so we can do just about any custom finish you are after. In the 18" configuration, you will want an 18x8.5 ET35 and 18x9.5 ET22 front and rear. We can package them together with tires as well if you need a complete setup.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or give us a call.

mleerob
05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Cool! thanks for sharing that shot, Howitzer!

I've been to EAS' picture gallery before, but I must have missed it.
As far as the rotors/calipers are concerned: I did think of that, thanks. Especially if I really go with the 701's, which are even more 'open', allowing more view/focus on rotors and calipers.

May need some cooler-looking rotors, though.
What's your experience with painting the calipers... in case you ever did paint them (...can't tell from your pics) ??

P.S., and on the side: How do you get your thumbnails to enlarge when clicked?

You can also purchase caliper covers that come powder coated in Red, or Silver.
Quick install.
I like the look myself.

mleerob
05-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Textured powder coat from VMR?
Do they also offer custom powder coat colors?

armin00as
05-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Congrats on the new car! VMR has solid quality for the price, you do have to take care of them and cannot neglect the finish but they are designed to hold up very well over time and under normal daily use.

If you are interested in another option, we do offer powdercoats for VMR wheels so we can do just about any custom finish you are after. In the 18" configuration, you will want an 18x8.5 ET35 and 18x9.5 ET22 front and rear. We can package them together with tires as well if you need a complete setup.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or give us a call.

Hi, Nick... Thanks for the warm welcome, and for noticing my post!

If I'd like to go with a 19" staggered VMR 701 setup, can you guys get me those in the custom "Textured Black Powdercoat" look that VMR apparently came up with for some custom 710's..(??) Saw some sample shots on their website, and it -literally- floored me :rofl:

I definitely need some nicer/hotter shoes for my ride; just not difficult to pick a style and color (you probably get to hear that all the time...). Anyways, I really dig that Texture Black Powdercoat, if it came with the 701's. -- Can you get me a price for a staggered set of those, Nick, I'm thinking 245x8.5/19 and 275x9.5/19? -- Please let me know.

BTW. mleerob -in the post below- seems much interested in custom Powdercoat styles, too... ;)

armin00as
05-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi, Nick... Thanks for the warm welcome, and for noticing my post!

If I'd like to go with a 19" staggered VMR 701 setup, can you guys get me those in the custom "Textured Black Powdercoat" look that VMR apparently came up with for some custom 710's..(??) Saw some sample shots on their website, and it -literally- floored me :rofl:

I definitely need some nicer/hotter shoes for my ride; just not difficult to pick a style and color (you probably get to hear that all the time...). Anyways, I really dig that Texture Black Powdercoat, if it came with the 701's. -- Can you get me a price for a staggered set of those, Nick, I'm thinking 245x8.5/19 and 275x9.5/19? -- Please let me know.

BTW. mleerob -in the post below- seems much interested in custom Powdercoat styles, too... ;)

sorry, looks like I mixed something up here... : :rolleyes: :thumbdwn:
Apparently, it was "some other guys" :) that showed off their Black Texture Powdercoat on a v710:
http://www.mfestforum.com/new_forum_9_2_10/showthread.php?p=91755

But, I trust JLevi can do that too.. right? ;) - Thx!

armin00as
05-10-2010, 08:52 PM
You can also purchase caliper covers that come powder coated in Red, or Silver.
Quick install.
I like the look myself.

Thanks for the hint, mleerob! I saw some myself online already, and checked out an installation video on YouTube. Seems to be real simple...

However, I think it would be more fun to paint them myself. Howitzer has some good advice (above) on the ideal paint.

Guess I'm gonna try that DIY job one of the next weekends, so the calipers are ready when I finally get my new wheels...

Thanks for the tip, though! :thumbup:

GoRavens
05-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks, guys..!
19" sounds good to me; wanted to do 19" staggered from the start anyway.

In the meantime, however, I think I've changed my mind on the wheels: I'm all-over these awesome v701 in Texture Black Powdercoat..
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/armin00as_photos/E60%20Bimmer%20Pics/Black%20Wheels/v710Blackpowdercoatv710matteblack.jpg

Looks hot, doesn't it??!!
I like them much more than matte/glossy black, or even Gunmetal - especially if I go with a 'murder' theme... :)

LOVE those wheels.... WOW. They will look great on a black E60. How much??

armin00as
05-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Seems to be a custom coating job by eas. I bet they can tell us.. :)
[URL="http://www.europeanautosource.com/index.php?[/URL]

Wheels alone are around $1K...