PDA

View Full Version : Low coolant ... fill up water?

rahul09
05-09-2010, 12:40 AM
I got "Low coolant" warning on my 2010 535i. Went to dealer and the service adviser told me to top it off with water?

Water? In BMW? 5er? I don't remember having put water ever in my Accord over 14 years that I had it.

Want to check with you all before I follow the service adviser's suggestion.

Nube1kenobi
05-09-2010, 02:15 AM
It should not hurt the cooling system if you add a little water as you are not diluting the mixture that much. If the coolant warning light is still on after you "know" it is topped off, then you may have an issue with the low coolant level sensor inside the expansion tank... it is actually just a float and I believe BMW need to replace the tank if the float get dislodged or stuck.

On the other hand, if you are frequently losing water for no apparent reason (no signs of leaks)... it is time to get concerned.

Kamdog
05-09-2010, 06:03 AM
I thought they were supposed to take care of all this.

todd92
05-09-2010, 06:23 AM
Distilled water is fine to top up with once. However, you should not be losing coolant at all, so if the level drops again after one top up, you have a problem that needs immediate attention. An external leak or water pump can get suddenly worse, leaving you stranded and potentially overheating the engine (aluminum engine, major damage). An internal leak, usually a leaking head gasket from a previous overheating episode, will result in an engine full of gooey sludge. Hot oil and coolant when mixed turn into the nastiest goo you could ever imagine.

Jack Stefano
05-09-2010, 07:22 AM
I got "Low coolant" warning on my 2010 535i. Went to dealer and the service adviser told me to top it off with water?

Water? In BMW? 5er? I don't remember having put water ever in my Accord over 14 years that I had it.

My car has needed coolant periodically ever since I bought it over a year ago. I just top it off every few months with coolant/water mix.

Nube1kenobi
05-09-2010, 12:40 PM

+1 - I wonder why they are giving the OP the run around... :(

Billd104
05-09-2010, 12:48 PM

+1 - I wonder why they are giving the OP the run around... :(

To the OP, some coolant replacement may be needed especially on a new car. I don***8217;t know how many miles are on your car but in the first 5K miles the coolant level may drop due to trapped air in the system from the factory. That being said it should not be a large amount and certainly should not happen with any frequency. Your BMW center should be more than happy to top off the coolant using BMW coolant and distilled water. If they aren***8217;t then perhaps you need to inquire why and / or find another dealer.