PDA

View Full Version : Dead battery????

Ralph III
05-09-2010, 12:11 PM
OK, this morning we went to leave for Church and our '07 530xi would not do anything. I mean no lights/beeps/locks anything. I assume the battery fully dead and have read issues with this.

First, how do I charge the battery as when I hooked up my Schumacker car charger (hood terminals) the headlights began flashing and car beeping/clicking? I have jumped/charged many hundreds of vehicles but never had a bmw and seemed abnormal. I immediately unhooked the charger upon that.

My battery charger is 6 or 12 volt, manual/automatic, standard/deep cycle. http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-Electric-SE-40MAP-Automatic-Battery/dp/B0002YR8HW

Any help would be appreciated.

Billd104
05-09-2010, 12:18 PM
OK, this morning we went to leave for Church and our '07 530xi would not do anything. I mean no lights/beeps/locks anything. I assume the battery fully dead and have read issues with this.

First, how do I charge the battery as when I hooked up my Schumacker car charger (hood terminals) the headlights began flashing and car beeping/clicking? I have jumped/charged many hundreds of vehicles but never had a bmw and seemed abnormal. I immediately unhooked the charger upon that.

My battery charger is 6 or 12 volt, manual/automatic, standard/deep cycle. http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-Electric-SE-40MAP-Automatic-Battery/dp/B0002YR8HW

It was probably the anti-theft system waking up when the power was re-applied from the charger. Was anything left on to drain the battery? If not then one would have to assume battery FAIL. If you leave the charger on for a few minutes as well as unlock the doors / disarm the anti-theft system the flashing / clicking should go away and the battery may take a charge. Have you looked at the "eye" on the top of the battery? This should indicate the condition of the battery and if it will accept / needs a charge.

jeffbtx
05-09-2010, 12:42 PM

I'd suggest deepcycle. Battery is a 12 v battery - hook it up and let it do it's thing. Maybe the venting took the battery down?? It shouldn't but with all the battery posts, it seems like this a weak point with BMW's - good luck.

Ralph III
05-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I'd suggest deepcycle. Battery is a 12 v battery - hook it up and let it do it's thing. Maybe the venting took the battery down?? It shouldn't but with all the battery posts, it seems like this a weak point with BMW's - good luck.

Hello guys and thanks for the replies!

After posting, I noticed my charger was on a quick charge (jump type cycle) and switched it to "deep cycle". It did flash again but instead this time I braved and let it finish. Seems the car, maybe security system as Bill was suggesting, had to reboot computer, etc.

It is charging now but will check the battery as suggested.

I cleaned the car the other night and apparently left some interior lights on. Does this car not turn everything off after a while? Otherwise, will consider auto venting and any other power usage issues.

Thanks again, Ralph