PDA

View Full Version : N54 Electric Coolant Pump: does it run after shutdown?

Neubs1
05-09-2010, 04:56 PM
After reading the 2007 N54 Engine Management Article circulated here a day or so ago, the tech data says that the electric coolant pump CAN run after shutdown, but does it? I have not heard any pumps running after shutdown (already been through one summer with this car...). I can hear (I think) the fuel pump when idling and often after shutdown, I hear the nav system CD-drive running.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Neubs

PolkNole
05-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Yes - I hear it often. That's one very hot running engine (which is normal).

wesleyan92
05-09-2010, 06:47 PM
After reading the 2007 N54 Engine Management Article circulated here a day or so ago, the tech data says that the electric coolant pump CAN run after shutdown, but does it? I have not heard any pumps running after shutdown (already been through one summer with this car...). I can hear (I think) the fuel pump when idling and often after shutdown, I hear the nav system CD-drive running.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Neubs

There is something definitely running after I turn off the ignition. Does not happen all the tim e - only after spirited driving or very hot days here in Dallas :)

jesimmons
05-09-2010, 06:53 PM
As Polk said... it sure does. The twin turbos are also cooled by water, and after spirited driving the water is circulated through the turbos to protect the oil from coking in the bearings. So you don't have to worry about idling the engine for a while to allow the turbos to cool down. :)

Nube1kenobi
05-09-2010, 07:51 PM
As Polk said... it sure does. The twin turbos are also cooled by water, and after spirited driving the water is circulated through the turbos to protect the oil from coking in the bearings. So you don't have to worry about idling the engine for a while to allow the turbos to cool down. :)

+1 - One of the better utilization of battery power IMO ... component protection. :thumbup:

Neubs1
05-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Sierra Hotel. Thanks!!!!!!
I'll re-tune my listenng devices.
Neubs