PDA

View Full Version : DVD Read Error. Navigation

300zxmuro
05-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Got my new CPOd 2008 535i and the nav does not work due a DVD read error. What should I do? Get one or tell the seller to give me one since i just bought the car. How much it could cost to get a new DVD for the navigation system?

GolferEngineer
05-10-2010, 05:30 AM
I just got an ad from my local BMW dealer that I can have a new one for $199.00.

jeffbtx
05-10-2010, 06:17 AM
Got my new CPOd 2008 535i and the nav does not work due a DVD read error. What should I do? Get one or tell the seller to give me one since i just bought the car. How much it could cost to get a new DVD for the navigation system?

CPO, correct? You need to go back to the dealer. Probably have the dealer go through everything since you've now reported that Nav doesn't work and no Sirius - anything else you didn't get a chance to check out?

Billd104
05-10-2010, 09:12 AM

What version of the nav DVD is currently in the vehicle. There was a known issue with the 2008.2 and the 2009.1 disks from Navteq. I was having DVD read errors from time to time with them and I have upgraded to the new 2010 professional DVD from BMW / Tele Atlas available here (http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com/) or from your local BMW center. Some of the 'Fest sponsor delaers are selling them at a discount. I purchased mine from my local BMW center and they gave me 10% off for BMWCCA. My DVD read errors have stopped occurring and the system seems to be able to access the data on the new DVD faster. :thumbup:

Smokey550i
05-10-2010, 09:54 AM

Had the same issue on my 08'. When changing location or even the size of the map I would get "DVD read error". Struggled with the SM for a time and finally got my car to them with the error on the screen. They replaced my DVD witht the two DVD set. I left the dealer and returned in less than 2 minutes. Same issue "DVD read error". They took my car in the back, did some downloads and finally decided to replace the entire drive. That was mid April ... although the drive is coming from Germany - non in the states.

Stay on them, it could be the drive.

Billd104
05-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Had the same issue on my 08'. When changing location or even the size of the map I would get "DVD read error". Struggled with the SM for a time and finally got my car to them with the error on the screen. They replaced my DVD witht the two DVD set. I left the dealer and returned in less than 2 minutes. Same issue "DVD read error". They took my car in the back, did some downloads and finally decided to replace the entire drive. That was mid April ... although the drive is coming from Germany - non in the states.

Stay on them, it could be the drive.

Seems like you had a genuine hardware failure which is rare with the in car DVD drives as illustrated by the lack of parts in the US.

300zxmuro
05-10-2010, 02:37 PM
i DROPPED THE CAR AT THE DEALER. I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW WHAT THE RESULT OF THIS IS.

johnsonjp
12-09-2010, 09:46 AM
I have been getting the same DVD read errors as well as DVD drive not recog. disk when in the drive. Problem is intermittent. What ever happened with yours? Thanks
jpj

300zxmuro
12-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Amazingly they gave me a brand new DVD without cost to me. Is working now.

2chill
12-09-2010, 02:10 PM
It's not that amazing. The car is under warranty, so they had no choice but to make it right.

SeeYal
12-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I have been getting the same DVD read errors as well as DVD drive not recog. disk when in the drive. Problem is intermittent. What ever happened with yours? Thanks
jpj

Beware CPO owners... if you have this problems,... go to your dealer BEFORE the 4 years manufacturer warranty ends... the Nav DVD reader and OSS are NOT covered by the CPO... need a full blown approval by Puma before they even can think about changing it...

300zxmuro
12-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Not really, you can take the DVD out of the player and damage it and the dealer has no duty on replacing it. That is what happened to me.

300zxmuro
12-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Beware CPO owners... if you have this problems,... go to your dealer BEFORE the 4 years manufacturer warranty ends... the Nav DVD reader and OSS are NOT covered by the CPO... need a full blown approval by Puma before they even can think about changing it...

Wonering what else is not covered. A lot of BMW owners think CPO is extended of the original warranty and that is not true.:mad:

Viffer66
01-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Amazingly they gave me a brand new DVD without cost to me. Is working now.

Dropped mine off on Thursday w/ same intermittent error. Ironic in that error popped up for third time while waiting in line at 7:15 a.m. at dealer. They've replaced the unit twice and are awaiting approval from BMW to replace CCC. Anyone else have this problem?
Getting the reprogramming for the recall, too.

dtrance
02-17-2011, 04:50 AM
I am having this dvd read error issue. It is intermittent. Took it into the dealership and they weren't able to reproduce the problem.

I'm going to make a copy of the original disk to see if its a problem with the media itself.

Viffer66
02-17-2011, 07:02 AM
I would not mess w it. Go back to dealer and push for replacement. I mentioned in passing to my SA and he jumped all over it. Your dvd drive is bad. I got a New one and the 2011 disks AND had a nice loaner for a wk while they figured it out. Do NOT wait until ur 4/50 is up. You will be sorry.

Good luck.

Gregor Samsa
07-11-2011, 03:44 PM
I have the 2011 TeleAtlas discs for my 2008 328xi. Disk two functions perfectly. Disc one gives the read errors already mentioned, but it also sometimes crashes iDrive. When following a route, the field containing the estimated arrival time fills with dashes, the system does not respond to the controller, and eventually the screen goes blank. Soon the BMW screen comes up as when the car is started, and you can get back to the route, only to have it happen again. Dealer replaced the discs, same problem.