PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't CPO "include" the longer warranty?

sgnden
05-10-2010, 07:10 AM
So as I look at the record the dealer sent to me, I see that there is a separate line item that says "0000000184 MP 72mos/100 MLS - MSRP $2295.00". I

The list also says "0000000016 CPO 72mo/100k MLS" but has no price attached. So this must be the CPO warranty as it also shows that it ends in 2013 (72 mos from new) or 100k miles, whichever comes first.

So if it has a CPO warranty as part of their asking price for the car (program code 16) and it goes 72mos/100k miles, what is the program (code 184) that costs an additional $2295?

I have asked the sales guy again...but I think I know more about these cars than that tool.

Confusing.

jesimmons
05-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Probably the Extended Maintenance program?

grateful1
05-10-2010, 09:56 AM
So as I look at the record the dealer sent to me, I see that there is a separate line item that says "0000000184 MP 72mos/100 MLS - MSRP $2295.00". I

The list also says "0000000016 CPO 72mo/100k MLS" but has no price attached. So this must be the CPO warranty as it also shows that it ends in 2013 (72 mos from new) or 100k miles, whichever comes first.

So if it has a CPO warranty as part of their asking price for the car (program code 16) and it goes 72mos/100k miles, what is the program (code 184) that costs an additional $2295?

I have asked the sales guy again...but I think I know more about these cars than that tool.

Confusing.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the two that you have noted but I do believe I remember both of these items appearing on my listing when I bought my car as well. To answer your first question, yes CPO includes the extended car warranty. It extends it from 4 years/50k miles to 6 years/100k miles. Do not confuse this with the extended maintence warranty. The other thing to keep in mind is that buying a CPO car does indeed cost more than buying a non-CPO car. Just remember that you can always negotiate the price of the CPO regardless of what the invoice states. I know that others have mentioned anywhere from $1k to 4k extra for a CPO car and I believe it depending on how much work was done to the car before it gets put out on the market.

Why don't you just ask the dealer what the difference between the two lines mean?

sph17
05-10-2010, 11:49 AM
The price you see is the list price of Extended Maintenance, which will cover your sevicing and brake pads from 4 years/50,000 miles to 6 years 100.000 miles.

FYI

You can buy the Extended Maintenance from any BMW Dealer.

If you purchase it from an out-of-state dealer you don't pay sales tax.

There is a Sponsor of Bimmerfest, who gives people from Bimmerfest a discount on the Extended Maintenance, and saves you the sales tax if you are out of state.

Go to the "Ask a Dealer" Form, and look for Adrian in Atlanta in the reply's or do a search. You can also e-mail him directly at:

adriansbmw@gmail.com

Give him the last 7 of the VIN and the current mileage

There is alsl a special from BMW Financial with free Maintenance or 0.9% APR if you fiance a 2007 though them. You didn't indicate what year E60 you are considering.

sgnden
05-10-2010, 11:56 AM
The price you see is the list price of Extended Maintenance, which will cover your sevicing and brake pads from 4 years/50,000 miles to 6 years 100.000 miles.

FYI

You can buy the Extended Maintenance from any BMW Dealer.

If you purchase it from an out-of-state dealer you don't pay sales tax.

There is a Sponsor of Bimmerfest, who gives people from Bimmerfest a discount on the Extended Maintenance, and saves you the sales tax if you are out of state.

Go to the "Ask a Dealer" Form, and look for Adrian in Atlanta in the reply's or do a search. You can also e-mail him directly at:

adriansbmw@gmail.com

Give him the last 7 of the VIN and the current mileage

There is alsl a special from BMW Financial with free Maintenance or 0.9% APR if you fiance a 2007 though them. You didn't indicate what year E60 you are considering.

Excellent! Exactly why ya gotta love forums like this.

I am looking at an '07 with 31k miles. SMG, Sport Pkg, Nav...no Logic7 (may be a deal breaker?), no cold weather pkg. They are sitting firm at $35,500 so not sure it's a keeper yet or not.

Thanks!

sph17
05-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Excellent! Exactly why ya gotta love forums like this.

I am looking at an '07 with 31k miles. SMG, Sport Pkg, Nav...no Logic7 (may be a deal breaker?), no cold weather pkg. They are sitting firm at $35,500 so not sure it's a keeper yet or not.

Thanks!

Further FYI:

You pay a higher interest rate if you take the Extended Maintenance. If you have the cash to pay for most of the cost of the Car (like using a home equity line of credit) you can finance a relatively small amount ($7.500 to $10,000) for 24 months and pay it off early and minimize your fiance charges while saving $2,295 plus tax (or what ever Adrian charges w/o tax).

You have to figure based on your cost of money If you save more with the 0.9% financing, and purchasing the Extended Maintenance from Adrian, or doing it the other way I mentioned above.

300zxmuro
05-10-2010, 02:34 PM
i'm not sure what the difference is between the two that you have noted but i do believe i remember both of these items appearing on my listing when i bought my car as well. To answer your first question, yes cpo includes the extended car warranty. It extends it from 4 years/50k miles to 6 years/100k miles. Do not confuse this with the extended maintence warranty. The other thing to keep in mind is that buying a cpo car does indeed cost more than buying a non-cpo car. Just remember that you can always negotiate the price of the cpo regardless of what the invoice states. I know that others have mentioned anywhere from $1k to 4k extra for a cpo car and i believe it depending on how much work was done to the car before it gets put out on the market.

Why don't you just ask the dealer what the difference between the two lines mean?

a cpo car cost to the dealer 1660$. That is it.

sph17
05-10-2010, 02:45 PM
CPO cost to the Dealer is not usually broken out as a line item as it is assumed to be included in the original asking price of the CPO vehicle.

grateful1
05-10-2010, 02:57 PM

That's it?? Are you sure. You seem to be pretty sure. Are you sure you don't want to rephrase your statement?

I'm not entirely sure I agree with you on this. You may be correct in stating that the cost of performing a CPO "test" is $1,660 but you are leaving out all of the parts and labor that goes into fixing anything on the car that needs to be fixed. In my case, I know for a fact that the parts and labor that went into fixing the car in order to deem it a CPO vehicle was over $4k. So in my case the total cost for CPOing my car was $4,000+ for just parts and labor.

sph17
05-10-2010, 04:13 PM
That's it?? Are you sure. You seem to be pretty sure. Are you sure you don't want to rephrase your statement?

I'm not entirely sure I agree with you on this. You may be correct in stating that the cost of performing a CPO "test" is $1,660 but you are leaving out all of the parts and labor that goes into fixing anything on the car that needs to be fixed. In my case, I know for a fact that the parts and labor that went into fixing the car in order to deem it a CPO vehicle was over $4k. So in my case the total cost for CPOing my car was $4,000+ for just parts and labor.

I believe what he was intending to say was the cost to purchase the CPO warranty from BMW USA, after the car has been brought up to CPO standards (at the Dealer's expense), costs the Dealer $1,660.

People who want to purchase their Lease Vehicle at the end of a lease with a CPO Warranty added on have to pay the Dealer $$$ to bring the vehicle up to CPO standards, then the Dealer charges them for the cost of purchasing the CPO Warranty from BMW USA, sometimes at a cost above what is quoted above.

grateful1
05-10-2010, 05:07 PM
I believe what he was intending to say was the cost to purchase the CPO warranty from BMW USA, after the car has been brought up to CPO standards (at the Dealer's expense), costs the Dealer $1,660.

People who want to purchase their Lease Vehicle at the end of a lease with a CPO Warranty added on have to pay the Dealer $$$ to bring the vehicle up to CPO standards, then the Dealer charges them for the cost of purchasing the CPO Warranty from BMW USA, sometimes at a cost above what is quoted above.

I agree with your assessment. I can't confirm the $1,660 figure but I am sure that there is a cost to a dealer who goes through the certification process of CPOing a car. Your example of CPOing a leased vehicle is a good one as it exemplifies that there is a base cost associated with CPOing a car.

300zxmuro
05-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes. The dealer pays BMW USA to extend a CPO contract for 1660 after passing the 2xx inspection point. I know this because the dealer showed me the price for the 535 that I have bought.

300zxmuro
05-10-2010, 06:45 PM

You are right if there is some cost to put the car into the CPO condition that is a separate cost. This is the main reason why some cars that not qualified for CPO since it is too expensive to get it fix and to pay 1660 to BMW USA to grant the contract. I believe only cars that are in excellent condition with ZERO cost payment (only the 1660). Dealers want this as a tool to sell cars.

grateful1
05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
You are right if there is some cost to put the car into the CPO condition that is a separate cost. This is the main reason why some cars that not qualified for CPO since it is too expensive to get it fix and to pay 1660 to BMW USA to grant the contract. I believe only cars that are in excellent condition with ZERO cost payment (only the 1660). Dealers want this as a tool to sell cars.

I bought a CPO car and it did not cost the dealer only $1,600 to CPO the car. I too saw how much they spent on the tires, rims and rocker panel prior to certifying the car and it was over $4k. I'm not even including the $1,600 in my figure.

In my opinion, the $1,600 is used to pay for the cost of prepping and "testing" the car in an attempt to "certify" the car. The point is that they want to be sure the car is in "excellent driving condition". I'm also sure that a large portion of the $1,600 goes towards funding the extended warranty of 2 additional years or 50k miles on top of the factory warranty.

300zxmuro
05-10-2010, 09:18 PM
For my 2008 535i it cost 1660$. Price may vary depending on model and year. It is my understanding this is paid to BMW USA. If your car breaks during those 2years/extra50 miles BMW USA will pay to the dealer to get it fix. It is like an insurance between them two. If the dealer does not want to get a car CPOd it is because does not worth the investment. The car will sell for a lot less.

grateful1
05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
For my 2008 535i it cost 1660$. Price may vary depending on model and year. It is my understanding this is paid to BMW USA. If your car breaks during those 2years/extra50 miles BMW USA will pay to the dealer to get it fix. It is like an insurance between them two. If the dealer does not want to get a car CPOd it is because does not worth the investment. The car will sell for a lot less.

Dude, I understand the premise of a CPO warranty. I'm not disputing the fact that it took $1,600 for your dealer to CPO your car and that a good chunk of that went to BMW to extend the warranty. I too have an '08 535. My original point was that there are often times additional costs that go into CPOing a car. There is the "base" cost of the certification process itself. Then wear and tear expenses such as tires.

300zxmuro
05-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Dude, I understand the premise of a CPO warranty. I'm not disputing the fact that it took $1,600 for your dealer to CPO your car and that a good chunk of that went to BMW to extend the warranty. I too have an '08 535. My original point was that there are often times additional costs that go into CPOing a car. There is the "base" cost of the certification process itself. Then wear and tear expenses such as tires.

Of course ! And many times more than just tires. Up to the dealer to decide if they want to assume both costs.

GoRavens
05-10-2010, 09:31 PM

It all depends on how much they need to do.... Maybe less, maybe more. There is no set price. Even the exact same car would cost each dealer differently, since BMW CPO guidlines/certification is a joke.

grateful1
05-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Of course ! And many times more than just tires. Up to the dealer to decide if they want to assume both costs.

WTF?? Well I guess were on the same page. Or maybe the same book but different pages. I guess we'll never know.

300zxmuro
05-10-2010, 09:44 PM
WTF?? Well I guess were on the same page. Or maybe the same book but different pages. I guess we'll never know.

LOL. I guess we are. The thing is that it is good to have it CPOd. I have warranty, maintenance and wheel package until June 2014. Services cost me 2600 to extend it until that date. Wheels 1000.

sgnden
05-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I had a guy really trash the whole idea of caring about CPO. He was emphatic that the way to go is to buy your own warranty (aftermarket) and it will do as much or more for longer and cost less.

I searched the forum and found plenty of conversation about it, but was unable to make much sense of it all. That is, whether or not I should really care about CPO or just go get a good auction car and buy a warranty.

grateful1
05-10-2010, 09:57 PM
I had a guy really trash the whole idea of caring about CPO. He was emphatic that the way to go is to buy your own warranty (aftermarket) and it will do as much or more for longer and cost less.

I searched the forum and found plenty of conversation about it, but was unable to make much sense of it all. That is, whether or not I should really care about CPO or just go get a good auction car and buy a warranty.

There are pros and cons to CPO. A lot of dudes think that it's a complete waste of money and that no effort is actually put in by the dealer to endure that the car is really in "excellent working condition". I guess this was be an example of a con. But I chose to buy a CPO car because I wanted the peace of mind that the car really was in "excellent working condition" and for the 2 additional years beyond factory. So in my case it was a total of 4 years of warranty and 2 years of free "maintenance" on a 2008. In 300zxmuro case, he only paid $1,600 which I think is a nominal fee for an extended manufactures warranty.

In any case, it's good to get various opinions on these threads but just do whatever makes you feel comfortable with the purchase of your car.