PDA

View Full Version : iDrive brightness

mleerob
05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I see how to dim the interior lights,but is it possible to dim the iDrive screen itself?
I would like to dim it when driving at night. Fairly bright white.
I don't have NAV,so would prefer to turn it down or off at night.

Kamdog
05-10-2010, 01:17 PM
I see how to dim the interior lights,but is it possible to dim the iDrive screen itself?
I would like to dim it when driving at night. Fairly bright white.
I don't have NAV,so would prefer to turn it down or off at night.

I think it is on the same dimmer as the other lights. But, what I did was to assign one of the steering wheel buttons to turn the screen off.

Kzang
05-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Check your manual for more detail info. but go to main menu, vehicle settings, screen, and adjust accordingly.

Edit: This is how it is for 2010.. not entirely sure if it is the same for older versions.

mleerob
05-10-2010, 01:36 PM
I think it is on the same dimmer as the other lights. But, what I did was to assign one of the steering wheel buttons to turn the screen off.

My knob turns down the MPH, TAC,etc. Everything except the large white iDrive screen.
It says the same.
Will look into how to assign a SW button to turn it off.
Thanks

grateful1
05-10-2010, 02:03 PM
I believe this is controlled in the "Display Settings" tab under "Settings". This is at least how you do it if you have an integrated NAV system. I am able to adjust the brightness of hte iDrive screen and I would assume that this function would be available even without the integrated NAV option.

PimoX3
05-10-2010, 02:06 PM
I believe this is controlled in the "Display Settings" tab under "Settings". This is at least how you do it if you have an integrated NAV system. I am able to adjust the brightness of hte iDrive screen and I would assume that this function would be available even without the integrated NAV option.

It's the same for non-Nav vehicles.

grateful1
05-10-2010, 02:11 PM

This is on page 88 of the hard cover manual or page 90 of the .pdf version of the manual.

jeffbtx
05-10-2010, 02:56 PM
This is on page 88 of the hard cover manual or page 90 of the .pdf version of the manual.He doesn't have a manual but thanks for the reference.

grateful1
05-10-2010, 02:59 PM
he doesn't have a manual but thanks for the reference.

lol

mleerob
05-11-2010, 10:18 AM
This is on page 88 of the hard cover manual or page 90 of the .pdf version of the manual.

Must only be an option if you have NAV.
My car has no adjustment for this.

djfitter
05-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Yes it does. I don't have Nav and the option is there. Push on the idrive controller. Go to settings. Push again. Go to display settings. Push again. It should then be on the brightness screen, push and adjust.
If you don't have the owners manual you can download one here.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/OwnersManualVideos.aspx?enc=jb6IKoqBm0s21kIJmjYLv8 ghClaHZhEl4xcUSc6w/Ho=

dj

jeffbtx
05-11-2010, 11:22 AM

You should be able to do it - here's the page from the owner's manual (index under iDrive setting brightness).

mleerob
05-11-2010, 11:59 AM
You should be able to do it - here's the page from the owner's manual (index under iDrive setting brightness).

The manual is generic. Not specfic to each car and options of that car.
My car does not have that menu to select those options.

jeffbtx
05-11-2010, 12:44 PM
It's an iDrive menu - are you saying you don't have iDrive? if you have iDrive you can get to it. What do you see when you push the Menu button (the button just aft of the big knob)? Next time you're at the dealer have them walk you through the iDrive functions.

djfitter
05-11-2010, 01:07 PM

Then your '08 535i is the only one that doesn't. You have more options than I and I have the capability to dim the brightness. I don't have Navigation so it isn't part of this at all. Did you follow instructions? :confused:

dj

djfitter
05-11-2010, 01:09 PM
It's an iDrive menu - are you saying you don't have iDrive? if you have iDrive you can get to it. What do you see when you push the Menu button (the button just aft of the big knob)? Next time you're at the dealer have them walk you through the iDrive functions.

He has a 535i, it comes with iDrive. :dunno:

dj

mleerob
05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Found it.
Thanks for the help.

grateful1
05-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Check your manual for more detail info. but go to main menu, vehicle settings, screen, and adjust accordingly.

Edit: This is how it is for 2010.. not entirely sure if it is the same for older versions.

Yes it does. I don't have Nav and the option is there. Push on the idrive controller. Go to settings. Push again. Go to display settings. Push again. It should then be on the brightness screen, push and adjust.
If you don't have the owners manual you can download one here.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/OwnersManualVideos.aspx?enc=jb6IKoqBm0s21kIJmjYLv8 ghClaHZhEl4xcUSc6w/Ho=

dj

Then your '08 535i is the only one that doesn't. You have more options than I and I have the capability to dim the brightness. I don't have Navigation so it isn't part of this at all. Did you follow instructions? :confused:

dj

This thread is unbelievable.

How many dudes does it take to figure out how to dim the brightness on the iDrive display? Answer = 4

How many posts does it take for the OP to actually begin comprehending that this is a standard option on all iDrive enabled cars? Answer = 4

How many posts does it take for the OP to start listening to what other people have to say in an attempt to answer his original post? Answer = 8 :confused:

How many ways is there to dim the brightness on an iDrive enabled car? Answer = 1

Kzang
05-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Apparently some people insist not reading the owners manual... lol