PDA

View Full Version : bad design, or specific purpose?

DTC-OFF
05-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Today i found out that when you shut off the engine, and remove the key, if you hit the start button with the brake pressed, the car will start! :confused: is there a reason for this, or is it just a mistake by bmw?

maggie2
05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I would think You have comfort access - the key does not have to be in the ignition to start the car.

Nube1kenobi
05-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Maybe you have comfort access and didn't know it? :) If you don't have CA then... :dunno:

DTC-OFF
05-10-2010, 03:07 PM
no i dont have comfort access because my doors dont unlock automatically, and the car only starts without the key only after i have turned the car on then off, remove the key, and hit the start button car again. if i just go in and hit the start button, nothing happens...can someone else try this and let me know?

dr.s
05-10-2010, 04:30 PM
We have a 330i without comfort access and I have noticed the same thing. I think if you wait a period of time - something like 1 to 5 minutes - it will not start without the key.

UltimateDriving
05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Or when you lock the car xD

Jack Stefano
05-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Today i found out that when you shut off the engine, and remove the key, if you hit the start button with the brake pressed, the car will start! :confused: is there a reason for this, or is it just a mistake by bmw?

Duhh. It's the flux capacitor.

Beha
05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
wow I didnt know this was possible...nice find! :)

grateful1
05-10-2010, 08:03 PM

Haha. It is weird though. Have you guys attempted to actually drive the car after starting it without the key.

carolbob
05-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Yes, it drives like normal. I use it all the time when I drop off husband/kids, I turn off the car and give the the car keys to them to open up the front door and then I drive around to the alley to the garage.

cac3a
05-11-2010, 04:30 AM
This is very thief friendly feature, wonder what the insurance company would say about that!
We just need to wait for CNN story on someone leaving a kid in the car and the kid taking off without the keys....:)

vadim76
05-11-2010, 08:48 AM
This is very thief friendly feature, wonder what the insurance company would say about that!
We just need to wait for CNN story on someone leaving a kid in the car and the kid taking off without the keys....:)
I believe, once you open the driver door after pulling the key out, it won't start without the key.

njlou
05-11-2010, 09:35 AM
This was mentioned in a prior thread.
It is handy to minimize the carjacking threat. If you have the key out and get carjacked, the thief cannot start the car later.
A minimal use but could be handy in "bad" neighborhoods.
The reason IMHO is that the computer takes a few minutes to sleep.

Kzang
05-11-2010, 10:20 AM
This was mentioned in a prior thread.
It is handy to minimize the carjacking threat. If you have the key out and get carjacked, the thief cannot start the car later.
A minimal use but could be handy in "bad" neighborhoods.
The reason IMHO is that the computer takes a few minutes to sleep.

+1 this is old news.

edgar620
05-11-2010, 10:23 AM
The stero does a similar thing. You can turn it on with no key in the ignition. You just press teh power button. I barely found this out like a month ago.

GolferEngineer
05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I also notice that sometimes after I shut off the car and remove the key and open the door that the "reminder" chime goes off.
This is probably due to the proximity of the key fob to the steering wheel receptacle.

DTC-OFF
05-11-2010, 11:01 AM

hey, about time i see someone on here with my name xD (stefano)

DTC-OFF
05-11-2010, 11:03 AM
The stero does a similar thing. You can turn it on with no key in the ignition. You just press teh power button. I barely found this out like a month ago.

i tried this with my car, but no luck...do i have to go into idrive to activate it?

edgar620
05-11-2010, 04:50 PM
i tried this with my car, but no luck...do i have to go into idrive to activate it?

:dunno: I dont have I drive, but you can have the doors open, no key in the ignition and still turn on the stereo. The steering wheel controls don't work but everything on the stereo does. The windows dont work after the doors are opened but the stero works any time by just preesing the power button.

DTC-OFF
05-12-2010, 09:10 AM
:dunno: I dont have I drive, but you can have the doors open, no key in the ignition and still turn on the stereo. The steering wheel controls don't work but everything on the stereo does. The windows dont work after the doors are opened but the stero works any time by just preesing the power button.

nope, mine just wont do it:(