PDA

View Full Version : Check your nuts

Stuka
11-08-2003, 11:04 PM
So yesterday I was driving to work, hmm, what is that sound, hmm, why is the back end making all sorts of interesting noises? :confused:

Pulled over, kicked the driver rear tire, AND IT MOVED. :yikes:

Opened the bottle cap, and two of the four nuts fell right out. The driver rear wheel was only held by 2 nuts. :banghead:

And yes, I did torque the wheels after Sears before driving home. :flipoff:

So I called Hack, and luckily, he had lots of new nuts lying around, well, except we were missing four. We had 12 out of 16 nuts. So we replaced the nuts on three out of the four wheels, and I bought another 4 from Assael for 10 bucks. Boy oh boy, those old nuts look bad. About half of the 12 that were replaced were discolorered and stretched. :mad:

Moral of the story? For an old car, just replace all the nuts on the wheel. :angel:

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG
88 325is Black/Cinnamon

TeamM3
11-09-2003, 12:24 AM
well my experience has been that a torqued nut/bolt never comes lose. In every case I have ever known somebody thought they were torqued but in reality had missed/forgotten them. It happens more often than you think. Even if they stretch it happens when they are torqued (and if you torqued them to the right value then the fact that they stretched is immaterial), not afterward.

Raffi
11-09-2003, 01:03 AM
So I called Hack, and luckily, he had lots of new nuts lying around...

:yikes: :eek: :eeps:

gek330i
11-09-2003, 06:54 AM
Wild guess here, but do you think there might be a possibility that someone was trying to steal your wheels and they couldn't finish the job for some reason?

Just a guess, since I have never had them come loose, although I've heard of other people that have had that happen.

Emission
11-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Twice (yes, I know it should never happen more than once) I've been driving my car on the freeway when I realized my lug nuts were only hand tight! Yikes!

I have a friend who lost a wheel on I-5 near Dodger Stadium. His car slid across three lanes before coming to a stop in the median. Scary. Once again, loose lugs nuts.

Check your nuts!

·clyde·
11-09-2003, 04:59 PM
About half of the 12 that were replaced were discolorered and stretched. :mad:

Look anything like this?
http://lawair.com/bmw/bolt-1.jpg

Moral of the story? For an old car, just replace all the nuts on the wheel. :angel:

Don't limit it to just old cars...the above pic is from a 330i.

TeamM3
11-09-2003, 09:43 PM
somebody loosening them is a possibility, but again they don't come loose by themselves if fully seated and torqued properly, if they don't get torqued it's pretty shocking how fast they will back out on their own :yikes: :eek:

maybe it was someone's idea of a sick joke :dunno: you might consider a set of locks

Pinecone
11-10-2003, 04:43 AM
I had this happen on my Fiat 850 when I was autocrossing it. I figure someone must have loosened them.

Tim330Cic
11-10-2003, 05:43 AM
* Note to self * Don't leave home with loose nuts? :dunno:

PABS
11-10-2003, 06:08 AM
I usually let my girlfriend take care of this :rofl:

PABS
11-10-2003, 12:57 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to "whip" this one out. :rolleyes:

:thumbup:

FireFly
11-10-2003, 03:09 PM
Friday I met with a client who was telling me he did not torque the rear wheel in his SUV. While driving down the road he heard a noise coming from the back end. Turns out one lug completely sheared off and the other lug nuts were only finger tight at best and the lugs were stripped.

Best check those nuts if you think they were not torqued properly.

scottn2retro
11-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Are you guys talking about nuts or bolts? :D

Alex told me on the race car, even after torquing them down, they loosen up during use and should be checked between sessions.