PDA

View Full Version : I got a brand new engine!!

jagu
05-11-2010, 10:19 AM
I took my car to the dealer in December for a ticking noise in the passenger side of the engine. They fixed some vacuum pump and it did not cure the problem. I then took it back on or around January 11 and my car has been in the shop since then. They then replaced all the lifters and valvetrain parts but the tech said he was still hearing the noise. BMW then asked them to do various experiments such as changing the oil to a thicker grade and replacing some more parts which did not solve the problem. Meanwhile Nalley BMW gave ma a brand new 2010 528 to drive and it now has 6k miles on it.

A month ago, BMW finally authorized a complete tear down of the engine and they found out that a couple of connecting rod bearings were worn out, giving enough play to cause the noise. Being that they have already spent enough money to experiment on several repairs, they decided to put in a new motor. Today, I was invited to see the damaged engine and My SA did not even know that they had authorized the new engine. So while we were looking at the damaged engine, the foreman said, Yeah I have a new engine in the box that just arrived yesterday" :thumbup: At that point I tuned myself off from caring about what happened to the old engine and got so excited about the new engine:D.

So, much thanks to my SA, Justin and the foreman, Wes, who personally worked on the car, while being patient with BMWNA's slow process.

My car is a CPO which expires in April 2011. I was going to sell it before that time but I now intend to keep for 3 more years because the new engine has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty:yikes:

Sorry about the very poor iphone pictures
Old engine
http://i39.tinypic.com/73ecds.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/rs65jl.jpg

New V8 in box
http://i39.tinypic.com/346lxdu.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/34rcfw5.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/al2ohy.jpg

mleerob
05-11-2010, 10:53 AM
on an 05.
That is great coverage.
What plan did you have?

jagu
05-11-2010, 11:01 AM
^^^

Regular CPO.

mleerob
05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Others have posted about ticking engine sounds.
Wonder if they have the same issue as your car?
Good deal for you.

Nube1kenobi
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
^^^

Regular CPO.

Now some of the people that had been lambasting BMW for lack of or inadequate service need to be quiet. NICE DEAL! Woooo-hoooo! :thumbup:

jagu
05-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Good deal for you.

Actually, I just bought this car in November. I had the same exact car prior to this which had the same problem and I took it to the same dealer. At that time they only bled the lifters. Unfortunately, that car was totaled by some guy who failed to stop at a stop sign.

jagu
05-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Now some of the people that had been lambasting BMW for lack of or inadequate service need to be quiet. NICE DEAL! Woooo-hoooo! :thumbup:

Besides Porsche or Lexus, I can't think of many other manufacturers with BMW's level of service.

UltimateDriving
05-11-2010, 12:01 PM
OMG, they changed your entire engine!!!
Damn, i want them to do that on mine :rofl:

obacht545
05-11-2010, 02:20 PM
While the outcome is ultimately a good one, I'd still be PO'd in a major way if I couldn't drive my 545 and had to make do with a 528 for FOUR MONTHS :cry:

response_surfac
05-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Thicker oil eh? very interesting!!!!

mleerob
05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Actually, I just bought this car in November. I had the same exact car prior to this which had the same problem and I took it to the same dealer. At that time they only bled the lifters. Unfortunately, that car was totaled by some guy who failed to stop at a stop sign.

The more I read, the more I like BMW.
They sure took care of your problem.
Congrats !

jagu
05-11-2010, 03:41 PM
While the outcome is ultimately a good one, I'd still be PO'd in a major way if I couldn't drive my 545 and had to make do with a 528 for FOUR MONTHS :cry:

Well, I drive a lot and I saved on gas. I am on the 2nd 528i. They sold the first one after i put 2k miles on it and I was asked to return it. They literally tore the plastic off the seat of a new car for me :rofl:

grateful1
05-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Good deal for you.

Just remember that the lifter issue is prevalent for non twin turbo engines. So for all of you folks that are driving 1/3/535 this most likely does not pertain to you.

response_surfac
05-11-2010, 03:50 PM
how many miles were on the engine?
what kind of oil did you use, and what change intervals?

i have a 05 545i as well, and hope to avoid anything like this since i have no warranty. mine has 37k miles on it.

thanks.

jagu
05-11-2010, 04:05 PM
how many miles were on the engine?
what kind of oil did you use, and what change intervals?

i have a 05 545i as well, and hope to avoid anything like this since i have no warranty. mine has 37k miles on it.

thanks.

54k miles. The oil was changed according to BMW guidelines every 15k miles and BMW oil was used since it has always been serviced at an authorized dealer's shop.

TMQ
05-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Hmm...

Another reason to do more oil change, and, I don't know, maybe think twice before getting V8 if you plan to keep the car.

jagu
05-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Hmm...

Another reason to do more oil change, and, I don't know, maybe think twice before getting V8 if you plan to keep the car.

Or just get a CPO vehicle and have some real fun with a V8.

JerseyGeorge
05-11-2010, 09:56 PM
SWEET:thumbup: What's that I hear on my car.......a strange ticking noise:D

mfumbesi
05-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Man I'm happy for you. I'm also a bit jealous, I think my engine is ticking too. :D

Kzang
05-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Hmm...

Interesting as my previous car had 60K miles on it and I did a BMW yearly 15K miles oil changes and no issues.. :dunno:

jagu
05-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Interesting as my previous car had 60K miles on it and I did a BMW yearly 15K miles oil changes and no issues.. :dunno:

Exactly! There wasn't any mention of oil starvation being the cause of the problem.

response_surfac
05-12-2010, 07:51 AM
not oil starvation.......thin worn out oil with 14k miles on it that allowed metal to touch metal when the force was high enough to squeeze it out of the bearing gap.

can you share any more info about their thicker oil experiment? do you know what brand, visc etc? were they just trying to see if a worn bearing was the culprit, if the noise went away do you think they would have told you to use the high visc oil long term?

jagu
05-12-2010, 08:49 AM
not oil starvation.......thin worn out oil with 14k miles on it that allowed metal to touch metal when the force was high enough to squeeze it out of the bearing gap.

can you share any more info about their thicker oil experiment? do you know what brand, visc etc? were they just trying to see if a worn bearing was the culprit, if the noise went away do you think they would have told you to use the high visc oil long term?

Sorry I don't have any info on this. They just told me that they changed the oil twice with different grades on BMW's direction. I hadn't not seen my car since January until yesterday. It will take a week to install and they will keep it for a couple of days to test drive and make all is fine.

UltimateDriving
05-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Mine has the ticking noise back too, last time it was fixed with a simple oil change then a few weeks later it came back. But after driving a 150KM + 2-3hours trip it's gone at the moment, i'm pretty sure it will be back once we start the daily commutes -_- which is short and engine doesn't gets to a optimum temp level (BTW my brothers uses it to go to a gym which is less than 1 km and takes 5 minutes, so take your conclusions, he's wearing down the engine very fast!!)

goodman
05-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Jagu, did your first 545i start ticking around 54k miles, too?

WJGreer
05-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Hmm...

Or just get a CPO vehicle and have some real fun with a V8.Or go look at one of the HPFP threads and read people recommending that you go with the V8 in order to avoid problems.

WJGreer
05-13-2010, 12:13 PM
In my opinion, BMW would view having to replace entire engines on CPO cars in the field - with any regularity - as a total disaster. If BMW were to draw any connection to that happening from their recommendation to change oil at 15,000 miles, they would promptly revise the recommendation. Forward-looking, though, probably.

jagu
06-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Ok, I finally got my car back with the new re-manufactured engine and what a blast the 545i is when everything runs well. It just goes with brute force and purpose and even my morning transmission slam is gone, they solved that by just adding more transmission fluid. The engine has a 2 year unlimited warranty and I have 1 year of cpo remaining, so I will keep this car for at least 2 more years.

The new engine is so smooth and powerful thus making the cabin so quiet that I now hear the leather squeak from the rear seat.:(

If you have any warranty left and you have a ticking V8, don't let them pull the wool over your eyes by saying "it's normal". It is not normal because my new engine make no unusual noises or ticking noises.

Nube1kenobi
06-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Break that new engine and change the oil after the break-in period. :bigpimp: It should be good for another decade.

jagu
06-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Break that new engine and change the oil after the break-in period. :bigpimp: It should be good for another decade.

Yep, I am keeping it under 4k rpm for 1000miles and changing the oil after the 2000miles.

Newmanium
06-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Wonder what this will do for resale. On the one hand you have a new engine. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want the car that has had that many problems.

jagu
06-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Wonder what this will do for resale. On the one hand you have a new engine. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want the car that has had that many problems.

It's a 5 year old car which I will keep for 2 more years. The impact on resale will be very minute at that time. Besides, it drives far better than a CPO 2007 550i that I test drove at the dealership.

You also mentioned "many problems". Those problems are in fact gone with the old engine.

WJGreer
06-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Ok, I finally got my car back with the new re-manufactured engine and what a blast the 545i is when everything runs well. It just goes with brute force and purpose and even my morning transmission slam is gone, they solved that by just adding more transmission fluid. The engine has a 2 year unlimited warranty and I have 1 year of cpo remaining, so I will keep this car for at least 2 more years.

The new engine is so smooth and powerful thus making the cabin so quiet that I now hear the leather squeak from the rear seat.:(

If you have any warranty left and you have a ticking V8, don't let them pull the wool over your eyes by saying "it's normal". It is not normal because my new engine make no unusual noises or ticking noises.Great news! And I suspect that very many of our "mysterious transmission problems" that we discuss on this board are the result of low fluid. I had a gasket leak fixed recently in my 545 - evidently a very typical leak for those at ~50K - and in the process they topped off the fluid. I haven't had a transmission slam since, and my little surge issue seems to be gone as well.

steveo90290
06-02-2010, 08:55 AM
NICE!!!!!!!

With all of the inherently negative things we read on forums, it is good to read this. Persistence pays off Jagu.

jagu
06-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Great news! And I suspect that very many of our "mysterious transmission problems" that we discuss on this board are the result of low fluid. I had a gasket leak fixed recently in my 545 - evidently a very typical leak for those at ~50K - and in the process they topped off the fluid. I haven't had a transmission slam since, and my little surge issue seems to be gone as well.

Yeah, funny how easy it was to fix that. My transmission is now perfect!

Munich77
06-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Congrats on the new engine - now just change the oil once it is broken in.