PDA

View Full Version : Miles "too low"?

sgnden
05-11-2010, 02:21 PM
So can't help but wonder what's up with a 2007 550 I am looking at with 8500 miles on the clock.

It's at a dealer and is CPO'd and they tell me it obviously just "sat" but def not a something the mfgr took back.

What is the best way to be certain that it is not a b-u-y-back?

Is just running CARFAX enough?

skylolow
05-11-2010, 02:57 PM
They have to disclose to you if it was a buy back. Plus the title would show it and 95% of the time carfax would show it.

These cars aren't uncommon to be garage queens or in families with multiple cars(for each driver) and it may only get driven once or twice a week. So finding one with supper low mileage isn't to odd.

jagu
05-11-2010, 04:15 PM
It's a CPO, so most of the mechanical components that may be affected from lack of use will be covered by warranty. Go for it.

sgnden
05-11-2010, 06:24 PM
It's a CPO, so most of the mechanical components that may be affected from lack of use will be covered by warranty. Go for it.

What would be a good price for something like that, given those miles?

Any advice? I know what others have paid in general (low-mid $30's) for cars w around 30k miles, etc. but not really sure how to think about what to offer them for this.

It's got Sport, Cold Weather, Nav, Logic7.

Thanks!!

GoRavens
05-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Any advice? I know what others have paid in general (low-mid $30's) for cars w around 30k miles, etc. but not really sure how to think about what to offer them for this.

Thanks!!

What are they asking??

sgnden
05-11-2010, 07:14 PM
What are they asking??

Hey GoRavens.

Starting at $39,800.
Sport, Cold Weather, Nav, Logic7, Comfort, Rear Shade and of course 8,500 miles.

jagu
05-11-2010, 07:35 PM

Thanks!!

I think the prices of these cars went down around December to January and they seemed to increase after that. Nevertheless, I will not pay more than $35k for any 2007 CPO 550i.

TRS550
05-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Regardless of how few miles are on the car, you need to know the in service date on the car. The 4yr/50K warranty could be up this fall if the car was put into service in late 2006 and the CPO warranty would be out in 2012.

sgnden
05-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Regardless of how few miles are on the car, you need to know the in service date on the car. The 4yr/50K warranty could be up this fall if the car was put into service in late 2006 and the CPO warranty would be out in 2012.

EXACTLY! I am more worried about running out of warranty "too early" before it's had a chance to really shake-out issues that occur in the 45k+ miles range. Then again, resale cold be strong...unless I keep it for 100k plus like I'd like to.

JerseyGeorge
05-11-2010, 09:53 PM
The car has probably never had an oil change and that scares me! Cars that sits form lots of condensation in the fuel tank, engine. And cars that don't run long enough to burn off this condensation dilute oil and form rust internally further depleting oil additives! It sounds good but strangely enough you may find a better car with more miles! Just check service records and be sure what you're getting into and best of luck!

brandlj
05-13-2010, 08:13 PM
My 2007 530i was new in Oct. 2006. My warranty runs out Oct. 2010. I have 13946 miles on my car. It is not my daily driver. I rotate it with my 1986 Mercedes 300sdl and my 1967 VW Beetle. I am looking into an extended warranty or I just might trade it in on a new car with a full warranty. I have had 4 oil changes on my car. Onein Nov. 2007 at 2000 miles, one in July 2008 at 5000 miles, one in June 2009 at 9400 miles and one in April 2010 at 13,000 miles. These were all covered by the BMW maintenance program. I was told once a year oil change or when the computer tells you.
I have also had the brake fluid changed in Oct. 2008 and will do it again in Oct 2010 before the warranty runs out. I have had a set of windshoeld wiper blades replaced and the pollen filters replaced. That is all that the car has required.
Perhaps the previous owner had a few cars to drive and just drove it on nice days. Have the dealer pull the service records and it will show you what has been performed.
I have had no problems with my car at all, and I hope I can find a reasonably priced extended warranty for it. I DO NOT like the idea of driving my car without a warranty. I have been reading all of the things that can go wrong on this Board.
I do keep my battery at full charge with a battery tender, because the battery will go down to about 11.8 volts after a 2 week stretch of not driving it. Every month is goes on the charger for a day and all is well.
If I do sell it or trade it, I should do well as a 2007 530i CPO at my local dealer with 46,000 miles on it is going for $36,900 on their used car lot.
I really enjoy this car, but end of warranty scares me as it gets older.

vern
05-14-2010, 06:16 AM
The car has probably never had an oil change and that scares me! Cars that sits form lots of condensation in the fuel tank, engine. And cars that don't run long enough to burn off this condensation dilute oil and form rust internally further depleting oil additives! It sounds good but strangely enough you may find a better car with more miles! Just check service records and be sure what you're getting into and best of luck!
Your theory could be wrong. Many BMW owners don't realize that you can get the maintenance yearly if you don't have enough miles. Like you said, check the service records.
cheers
vern

Elias
05-14-2010, 07:23 AM

I've had my 535i for a 1 1/2 years now and I only have 9500 miles on the dial, on my one year anniversary I got my first oil change as per schedule one year or 15,000 miles. Like the other poster said check the maintenance records before you make your decision.