PDA

View Full Version : Hit a deer last night...

NickD
11-10-2003, 08:37 AM
I am driving home from dropping my girlfriend off last night in my 328 down a twisty back road. I whip around the turn and there's a deer standing there...

It was still on the turn so I was afraid if I slammed the brakes on I would just go sliding off the road, so I just swerved to avoid it, never hit the brakes, in doing so I managed to go off the road anyway AND not avoid the deer. I managed to get back on the road maybe 20 feet before hitting the beginning of a guard rail.

However, the entire side of the bar is dented in. The headlights are fine, the corner light is destroyed, the front fender is banged up beyond repair, both doors are dented in, the rear fender is pulled out and the rear quarter panel is scraped up.

I am guessing ~$3000 in damage.... Just wonderful. I hate deer. I hate them. And to think I never even saw a deer till I moved out to NJ when was 17 and with my parents in the car we all stopped and said "Aww, look at the deer." now it's ,"Aww, hand me the shotgun."

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO pissed off!!!!

Here are some pictures of the damage:

http://demandred.dyndns.org:3000/Legend/gallery/album52

http://demandred.dyndns.org:3000/Legend/albums/album52/aad.sized.jpg

I hope my insurance covers it, gonna call them shortly.

Tanning machine
11-10-2003, 08:43 AM
I am driving home from dropping my girlfriend off last night in my 328 down a twisty back road. I whip around the turn and there's a deer standing there...

Well, at least you're safe. That's a bummer, though. Insurance should cover it. They've been paying out the nose on deer claims, though, so expect some questions. Make sure you file a police report, so if you need a carcass for proof they may still be able to find it.

FireFly
11-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Your insurance company will cover it. Did you fill the freezer?

I was driving down a dirt road in Maine this weekend and 2 of them were standing in the road- they would not move. Glad I was doing 5mph! Wife thought it was cute but all I could think of was a 3rd of 4th coming out of the woods full speed into the side of the vehicle- glad this did not happen.

AF
11-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Sorry to hear this, thank goodness your ok and no one got hurt.

It's gotta be a scray site to all of a sudden see a deer in the middle of the road . . .

BTW you are the winner of the dirtiest wheels . . . thanks for taking over the title ;)

jvr826
11-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Bummer it is, but it could have been much worse if you hit it head on. Been there, done that and it wasn't fun. FireFly's comment about a 3rd and 4th coming out of the woods is exactly the situation that happened to me. I was cruising down a 2 lane rural road, 2 deer were at full stride out of a driveway to my right. I saw the first, next thing I know it's flying over my roof after being scooped up by my sloping hood. I watched it do a loop-dee-loop through the moonroof. Johnny Law had to put two behind the ears to stop the suffering. I got home and had to pull fur out of my front end.

Your insurance will cover it and I would estimate far more than $3k in damages. They will probably replace the doors and the front fender, and repair the rear side. They'd have to paint the whole side of the car to color-match it anyway. I had a door replaced on my '96 328is, cost upwards of $1400 when all said and done.

Consider yourself lucky. Sheetmetal can be fixed and you won't know the difference. Chalk it up to experience!

It was still on the turn so I was afraid if I slammed the brakes on I would just go sliding off the road, so I just swerved to avoid it, never hit the brakes, in doing so I managed to go off the road anyway AND not avoid the deer. I managed to get back on the road maybe 20 feet before hitting the beginning of a guard rail.

However, the entire side of the bar is dented in. The headlights are fine, the corner light is destroyed, the front fender is banged up beyond repair, both doors are dented in, the rear fender is pulled out and the rear quarter panel is scraped up.

I am guessing ~$3000 in damage.... Just wonderful. I hate deer. I hate them. And to think I never even saw a deer till I moved out to NJ when was 17 and with my parents in the car we all stopped and said "Aww, look at the deer." now it's ,"Aww, hand me the shotgun."

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO pissed off!!!!

Here are some pictures of the damage:

http://demandred.dyndns.org:3000/Legend/gallery/album52

http://demandred.dyndns.org:3000/Legend/albums/album52/aad.sized.jpg

FireFly
11-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Just for the record- I was once a passenger in a car when a deer hit my side. What an eye opening experience! The damage to the car was exactly the same as yours. It kind of got hit near the side mirror and I guess rolled around to the back- covered a lot of ground and did a lot of damage. Covered under friends insurance as an act of god and he did not spend a dime on it.

BMWs4U
11-10-2003, 11:07 PM
I WAS GOING TOWARD THE 395 FROM CONVICT LAKE, AND LO AND BEHOLD TWO DEER IN MY LANE. I WAS WITH MY FIANCE IN A 1987 TOYOTA 4X4 PICK-UP. IT WAS DUSK ON A WINDY TWO LANE BACK ROAD. I WAS COMING AROUND A BEND AND MY FIANCE SAYS WHAT'S THAT!!! I INSTINCTIVELY SWERVED TO MISS THE TWO DEERS, THANK GOD NO ONE WAS COMING TOWARDS US IN THE OPPOSET LANE. WELL ONE OF THEM DID NOT MOVE, BUT THE OTHER ONE DARTED TO THE LEFT AND I CLIPPED HER. IT WAS BETTER THAN HITTING BOTH OF THEM HEAD ON. IT DID ABOUT $2300 WORTH OF DAMAGE TO MY RIGHT FENDER. MY INSURANCE COVERED IT. IT PUT A LITTLE DAMPER ON OUR CAMPING TRIP, BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE. :angel:

T2

TeamM3
11-10-2003, 11:36 PM
just be glad you didn't become #151 :yikes:

Report: Deer-Related Accidents Cost $1.1B
By ADAM ASHTON, AP

WASHINGTON (Nov. 4) - Some 150 people die each year in more than 1.5 million traffic accidents involving collisions with deer, according to an insurance industry-funded report released Tuesday that puts the economic damage at $1.1 billion.

The study relied on federal and state records as well as academic studies on the issue to develop the national estimates. Researchers hired by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety to produce the report said theirs was the first to look at the accidents nationwide.

"People ask what can motorists do. In a lot of cases, not very much, because they just come flying out at you," said Allan Williams, an institute researcher who worked with a representative of Highway Safety North of Ithaca, N.Y., and two deer experts from Cornell University.

The report focuses on steps by local governments to reduce accidents and recommends fences and reducing deer herds as the most effective ways of keeping the animals off the roads.

The study notes frequent public opposition to herd reduction plans and says that fencing can be costly to maintain and disruptive to natural deer behavior.

Highway reflectors, high-pitched whistles, signs and other methods to prevent collisions show mixed results, the report says.

Wisconsin's Transportation Department relies heavily on driver education to limit deer accidents, and last week, at the start of deer mating season, announced a new program.

"The one thing we can try to influence is motorist behavior, to get motorists to understand there is a hazard," agency spokesman Dennis Hughes said. "That being said, people still hit them."

Already this year, seven people on motorcycles have died in collisions with deer, he said.

The government's auto safety agency, which records the cause of death in each vehicle accident, determined that about 154 people die each year from crashes involving wildlife.

The insurance report relied on state studies from Michigan and Minnesota to estimate that more than 90 percent of wildlife accidents are caused by deer.

Researchers reviewed studies from 1995 and 1997 in a publication by The Wildlife Society, a nonprofit scientific and education association, to estimate the annual number and cost of deer-related accidents.

The insurance group updated those figures by comparing them with a University of Wisconsin study this year that accounted for deer accidents in the upper Midwest.

NickD
11-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys :) I got in contact with my insurance company and it looks like they will cover everything, except the $500 deductable. They are sending out an adjuster last this week to look over my car. I hope that all works out. Thanks again guys :)

Wingboot
11-13-2003, 12:11 PM
That sucks, too bad you car got messed up. Glad nobody got hurt.

It usually pays to drive a slower at night than one would like. I was cruising comfortably down a favorite “twisty” the other night slower than I would have been going in the day by the way. However, it wasn’t slow enough.

There was a deer standing two to three feet of the right shoulder. I zipped by before I could even hit the brakes. I slowed down to around 55 for the rest of the trip into town. Whew, that was a close one. The deer just stood there. I was lucky it didn’t bolt in the wrong direction….

pony_trekker
11-13-2003, 08:42 PM
People ask what can motorists do . . .

Start hunting!