PDA

View Full Version : Another Engine Malfunction / Reduced Power

Fahrer
05-15-2010, 04:57 AM
Well, I thought I was one of the luckier ones until now....

I reached about 41,000 miles and now my car runs at reduced power constantly for the last few days. Previously it would run OK after re-starting.
I will bring it in to the dealer this week. Interesting that I had the pump module replaced just a few thousand miles ago.

Here we go......:rolleyes:

Munich77
05-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Sorry to hear that. I am certain they will figure it out. I had the same thing happen to me - and this time around I got new fuel injectors, spark plugs and a reprogram but no new HPFP.

bmrboy2008
05-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Sorry to hear that. I am certain they will figure it out. I had the same thing happen to me - and this time around I got new fuel injectors, spark plugs and a reprogram but no new HPFP.

Ditto here. Best of luck Fahrer. Let us know how things turn out. :thumbup:

Fahrer
05-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Update-

I dropped the car off yesterday morning . They had to check out the car and submit to BMW for approval. I was told that any -35 engine issue is scrutinized by BMW for whatever reason. I guess too many dealers are replacing parts without really knowing the problem?

I just heard from the dealer today......he had to order new parts...... turbos and wastegates. The parts will be overnighted and hopefully the car will be done by tomorrow afternoon but I have my doubts. Meanwhile I have to drive this smelly Camry loaner that needs constant attention to keep it going straight.... yikes!

I am surprised to hear about the turbos....in the 1980s turbos were considered wear items lile brakes but today I would have expected them to last until at least 100K miles.

Nube1kenobi
05-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Update-

I dropped the car off yesterday morning . They had to check out the car and submit to BMW for approval. I was told that any -35 engine issue is scrutinized by BMW for whatever reason. I guess too many dealers are replacing parts without really knowing the problem?
I just heard from the dealer today......he had to order new parts...... turbos and wastegates. The parts will be overnighted and hopefully the car will be done by tomorrow afternoon but I have my doubts. Meanwhile I have to drive this smelly Camry loaner that needs constant attention to keep it going straight.... yikes!

I am surprised to hear about the turbos....in the 1980s turbos were considered wear items lile brakes but today I would have expected them to last until at least 100K miles.

Exactly. There are techs and there are TECHS! :)

Spyder
05-21-2010, 11:59 AM
I am surprised to hear about the turbos....

Not me. At 49,700 mi my 535 threw a CEL. I figured it was time for it's 4th HPFP which require changing at about the same rate as oil on my car. But, this time it was a vacuum fault traced to the bank 1 turbo, so, after much communication with BMW, the entire assembly (turbo, wastegate, and actuator) were replaced, along with the actuator on bank 2 for good measure. The car is now under a platinum exclusionary warranty out to 100k mi.

Spyder

Fahrer
05-21-2010, 03:24 PM
I just picked my car up today. It is running smoothly now but it has substantially more turbo lag and the power builds less smoothly. Power is also not up to where it should be. Now I am told they replaced only one turbo and wastegate. A $3000 job ( a reported 10 hours at 125 per and $1300+ in parts ). I will be bringing it back next Wednesday. I think BMW tried to save a few bucks here. :mad: It is under warrantee but GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!:banghead:

Munich77
05-21-2010, 04:32 PM
I just picked my car up today. It is running smoothly now but it has substantially more turbo lag and the power builds less smoothly. Power is also not up to where it should be. Now I am told they replaced only one turbo and wastegate. A $3000 job ( a reported 10 hours at 125 per and $1300+ in parts ). I will be bringing it back next Wednesday. I think BMW tried to save a few bucks here. :mad: It is under warrantee but GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!:banghead:

Sorry to hear about that. I have not heard of many turbo replacements but based on what I have read in this thread and the E-class thread, I share your concern about the long term reliability of an N-54. I am definitely already considering extended warranty because of these problems.