PDA

View Full Version : Found the perfect car.. but leaks oil, why?

munsonbw
05-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Hey gang,

I have been looking for a 530XiT for the wife for several weeks and finally found the right combo of price, options, and color (a 50k miles 2006 in this case). I am many hours away, so I have been dealing with everyone via phone. Had the car taken to the local BMW dealer for a PPI. He found:
1. load leveling suspension faults were cleared by them twice, no record of repair (seller agreed to pay)
2. battery showing 50% voltage during load test (although it starts fine?)
3. oil leak from oil pan
4. oil leak from somewhere above the pan, suspected to be the rear main seal

Now, I know PPIs are a good way to find every little issue in order to get more work in the dealership and to avoid the "I paid for a PPI and you didn't tell me about xxxxx!" However, in my car experience having a car with oil leaks at 50k miles in this day and age sounds real odd. The dealer states the leak is not dripping to the ground, but is "wet". I tried and tried to get him to make a statement regarding the leak and its potential consequences (or what it indicates), but no luck. The best I could get was "let's just say we don't fix oil leaks on 50k cars every day".

So, that was enough for me to walk away from the car. Got my deposit refunded and the selling dealer and I parted on good terms. My question is did I over react? The car is AWD, so the seal repairs are very involved. Honestly I don't really care about the leak, I am worried about why it is leaking. The fact that the previous owner took the car in for the suspension twice within 3 months and then traded it a month later just reeks of poor maintenance or running from the repair bills.

Your thoughts???

ChrisTO
05-15-2010, 07:17 PM
probably the right decision. right options but when looking for a used car it takes time to find that perfect match.

John NY
05-16-2010, 11:33 AM
I think you made the right call.

Nube1kenobi
05-16-2010, 11:40 AM
I think you made the right call.

+1 - best case scenario here is a leaking seal or gasket. Worst case is a developing hairline crack.

brandlj
05-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Hey gang,

I have been looking for a 530XiT for the wife for several weeks and finally found the right combo of price, options, and color (a 50k miles 2006 in this case). I am many hours away, so I have been dealing with everyone via phone. Had the car taken to the local BMW dealer for a PPI. He found:
1. load leveling suspension faults were cleared by them twice, no record of repair (seller agreed to pay)
2. battery showing 50% voltage during load test (although it starts fine?)
3. oil leak from oil pan
4. oil leak from somewhere above the pan, suspected to be the rear main seal

Now, I know PPIs are a good way to find every little issue in order to get more work in the dealership and to avoid the "I paid for a PPI and you didn't tell me about xxxxx!" However, in my car experience having a car with oil leaks at 50k miles in this day and age sounds real odd. The dealer states the leak is not dripping to the ground, but is "wet". I tried and tried to get him to make a statement regarding the leak and its potential consequences (or what it indicates), but no luck. The best I could get was "let's just say we don't fix oil leaks on 50k cars every day".

So, that was enough for me to walk away from the car. Got my deposit refunded and the selling dealer and I parted on good terms. My question is did I over react? The car is AWD, so the seal repairs are very involved. Honestly I don't really care about the leak, I am worried about why it is leaking. The fact that the previous owner took the car in for the suspension twice within 3 months and then traded it a month later just reeks of poor maintenance or running from the repair bills.

Your thoughts???

You did not over react. There are plenty of really nice cars out there with no oil leaks or suspension problems. Keep looking. Try to find something with an extended warranty or CPO.

TLO03
05-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Since wagons are rare it might take awhile to find one that you like, took me almost a year but i was very picky. make sure you get on some dealers lists. local dealers would often sell them before i'd get there.. but stick to what you want no compromise.. gl

JerseyGeorge
05-17-2010, 01:10 AM
You definitely made the correct choice......keep looking and good luck!

cltsig
05-17-2010, 12:01 PM
I had what I thought was an engine oil leak in an '07 530xit. The dealer then said transmission leak, which is probably "better" on the repair scale, and said it was a cracked pan. Odd, maybe I hit something, who knows. After replacing the pan and still having the leak, they then figured out it was some type of grommet/washer where there is an entry point into the transmission. Old tranny's had speedometer cables coming out and in my head that's what I recall it being, but I can't recall exactly what is was. Point is something which seemingly was major really wasn't but it took the dealer a few tries to fix it.

300zxmuro
05-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Good call. Sometimes you fall in love with the car and found out it is kinda bad later on.

munsonbw
05-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the input. We ended up finding a nice 33k mile car for even a little less money. Not all the options we wanted, but we weren't willing to wait a year to find the next perfect car. The PPI came out perfect except for a small paint chip on the door, but mechanically perfect (as you would expect at 33k). I must say, maybe I got lucky twice, but the two BMW service advisers I have dealt with on the PPIs were some of the most helpful and courteous people I have ever dealt with. They were genuinely interested in making sure I was making an informed decision and knew everything I could about the car even though they will never get any more business (these are long distance purchases). I hope my local dealer is as good.

John NY
05-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Congratulations!

JerseyGeorge
05-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the input. We ended up finding a nice 33k mile car for even a little less money. Not all the options we wanted, but we weren't willing to wait a year to find the next perfect car. The PPI came out perfect except for a small paint chip on the door, but mechanically perfect (as you would expect at 33k). I must say, maybe I got lucky twice, but the two BMW service advisers I have dealt with on the PPIs were some of the most helpful and courteous people I have ever dealt with. They were genuinely interested in making sure I was making an informed decision and knew everything I could about the car even though they will never get any more business (these are long distance purchases). I hope my local dealer is as good.

See......patience pays off:thumbup: