PDA

View Full Version : "How BMW Turns Art into Profit" - By Chris Bangle

ahekd
11-11-2003, 03:09 AM
I thought this was an interesting read...

Sorry for the formatting (or lack of).

Ack
11-11-2003, 06:21 AM
I thought this was an interesting read...

Sorry for the formatting (or lack of).

A little easier to read. :D

The Roadstergal
11-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Where is this from?

FrenchBoy
11-11-2003, 10:26 AM
This is indeed a great and enlightening read.
As a software product designer, always fighting Development to accept design and usability-enhancing changes, a lot of what he says rings true.

Where is this taken from? If it is not already planned, this would be a great Roundel article.

Thanks a lot,

FrenchBoy

MMME30W
11-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Very interesting read...

Jeff_DML
11-11-2003, 12:05 PM
hey , he designed the interior/exterior of the wagon :eek: I did not know that :)

Alex Baumann
11-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Where is this from?

Bangle's diary :D :angel:

The Roadstergal
11-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Bangle's diary :D :angel:

Did you sneak into his bedroom and steal it? :eeps:

JonM
11-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Where is this from?

Harvard Business Review. I posted it about 2 years ago. I still have it hanging on my refrigerator.

The Roadstergal
11-11-2003, 12:30 PM
Harvard Business Review. I posted it about 2 years ago. I still have it hanging on my refrigerator.
Danke. I was wondering why he didn't talk about the newest models and their reception and sales...

beware_phog
11-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Danke. I was wondering why he didn't talk about the newest models and their reception and sales...

Thanks for the post. What is shows is that everything is done for a reason....like it or not. Logical or not. It happens. Sort of like that ex-manager in Boston. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

bmw325
11-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Interesting. Although, I wonder if he's still doing a good job of "protecting his artists" from the beancounters. The interior material choices (and possibly even some design choices) on the latest BMWs seem to relfect a lot of input from accountants, not designers.

Anway, if Bangle still manages his people the way he claims to-- he must be a great person to work for.

ChrisTO
11-11-2003, 07:44 PM
i'm guessing the powers that be have lost their vision or rather reset their vision to the almighty dollar. they need to read this article themselves. completely agree with your thoughts that BMWs are no longer designed by artists.

if the interior of the new 5er is any indication, they need those bean counters to sit in the new 5 and the old 5. there is a difference in quality of material/feel. and it's not in the positive direction.

Interesting. Although, I wonder if he's still doing a good job of "protecting his artists" from the beancounters. The interior material choices (and possibly even some design choices) on the latest BMWs seem to relfect a lot of input from accountants, not designers.

Anway, if Bangle still manages his people the way he claims to-- he must be a great person to work for.

Matthew330Ci
11-11-2003, 10:36 PM
"A while back, an engineer told a
designer that one of his designs would require too much retooling. The engineer was just
doing his job, but his bluntness hurt. The designer was so devastated that he took several
sick days-time he may well have spent working on his resume."

geez, i wish those of us in the real world could take a few sick days off when their work is criticized. :rolleyes: :tsk:

ahekd
11-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Yup. More specifically from the Janurary 2001 issue if anyone wants to look it up.

BTW, thanks for the formatting Ack.

bmw325
11-12-2003, 09:38 PM
"A while back, an engineer told a
designer that one of his designs would require too much retooling. The engineer was just
doing his job, but his bluntness hurt. The designer was so devastated that he took several
sick days-time he may well have spent working on his resume."

geez, i wish those of us in the real world could take a few sick days off when their work is criticized. :rolleyes: :tsk:

I was thinking about that line too. Its hard for me to believe that anyone working for a majro corporation, would be so coddled. It kind of makes think maybe Bangle made that up or is greatly exagerrating. OTOH, I do think to be a good artist you need to be really sensitive-- so maybe there is some truth to this. But, I work with lots creative people at my job-- and they're used to having to "slug it out" with managers and techs to get their "creative vision" built. I've never seen one of them get very upset or take criticism that personally.

Salvator
11-13-2003, 01:03 PM
"Its hard for me to believe that anyone working for a majro corporation, would be so coddled. "

It's different in Europe... I could see that occuring quite easily... Don't forget, Germany is the land of 6 weeks vacation... They view that the vacation is good for your mental health... Obviously, here in the USA, no ones going to worry about your mental health until its too late...