PDA

View Full Version : People are so inconsiderate

KARLPAGLIACCI
05-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi, Take a look where some jerk dinged my passenger side door a foot below the mirror with a ding the size of a quarter. I know it's barely noticeable, but I know it's there. I guess I have to be anal like my brother and park away from people. It's a shame when you have to do that stemming from people being so lazy about opening doors. If I work hard to obtain something nice and want to take care of it, why can't others respect that and allow it.

Nube1kenobi
05-16-2010, 11:27 AM
:( Sorry to hear that... unfortunately with a nice or new car, parking awareness is almost a fact of life. There are just way too many envious, malicious and lazy jerks out there. I try to park between newer cars or well-cared for cars. NEVER next to a 2-door beat up car... so far I only had to buff out a few paint scratches, no dings.

You should be able to have that popped easily by a good body shop with their vacuum or dentless repair tool.

dboy11
05-16-2010, 11:28 AM
PDR can take care of that no problem

kajin99
05-16-2010, 12:02 PM
I always park away from everyone else, and in an end stall so only one car can park next to me. ***holes that ding your car door are the reason gunpowder was invented.

PhillyNate
05-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi, Take a look where some jerk dinged my passenger side door a foot below the mirror with a ding the size of a quarter. I know it's barely noticeable, but I know it's there. I guess I have to be anal like my brother and park away from people. It's a shame when you have to do that stemming from people being so lazy about opening doors. If I work hard to obtain something nice and want to take care of it, why can't others respect that and allow it.

Dude, I feel your pain. I went through this about a month ago and share your sentiment. PDR is your friend. I incorporate several different parking methods depending on where I am parked due to this happening over and over on this car and others. The most frequently used is the "mile and a half away from civilization" method. I use this 99%. But this is not always feasible. My least favorite and least used is taking up 2 spots. Occasionally you have to park like a ********* because people ARE *********s. You see what parking nice gets ya. Good luck.

-Howitzer-
05-16-2010, 12:23 PM
When I go to any shopping center, ESPECIALLY A WAL-MART, I park a ridiculous distance away from any of the 1000's of minivans and SUVs filled with retard soccer mom drivers.

PhillyNate
05-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Minivans, SUV's and soccer moms are the enemy... And Camry's. Nobody certainly gives a sh!t driving one of them.

jeffbtx
05-16-2010, 01:07 PM
It's just a car...but I empathize with you. After I get over the "first ding" blues, I tend to feel better about the whole parking dilema. No reason to take up two spots or park in handicap spots. With just a little judcious driving around you can ususally find a spot less likely to pick up damage and a little extra walk can do us all good - watch out for the shoping carts too.

sureshot
05-16-2010, 01:08 PM
"I'll even park in a handi-cap spot sometimes as a last resort just because I know the fine will be less than what it will cost me to remove a bad ding or scratch. "

Are you serious? You truly believe this is acceptable? How about when your gets towed and you end up with some real damage.

I think it's time for you to contemplate what is really important in life. That quarter-sized ding in your door means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Remember at the end of the day we are talking about a CAR.

x3ronnie
05-16-2010, 01:11 PM
I sometimes park in the last spot on the end in a shopping center,and then somewhat over the line. When the place is very busy(holidays),some one will park next to me in an "imaginary spot"! Sometimes you can't win. My wife says that there are "rules" when she drives my car. Parking far away is just one of them.
to the OP,I had someone open a door so hard into my X3,that the metal X3 lettering was misshapen as a result. The dealer replace it for me at no charge.

BMWFAN275
05-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Nice to know that I am not the only one who parks at the end of the lot, or away from all others.
Some other tips:
-Stay way from cars with baby seats. Momma is going to open that door all the way to get the kid in, no matter how sweet your ride.
-Two door cars, agreed stay away.
-Some times parking next to handicapped spots with the hashed lines allows extra space. I usually park right on that line.
-When you can't find a lone spot, always center the car, or find two small cars to park between.. Pray they don't leave.
-I also will find high end cars to park near. BMW guys are a safe bet.
-Try to parallel park if possible versus parking lots. I would rather deal with a bumper issue than a door ding.

I am blessed, as my wife parks her car with my same technique. She has a cherished A4 Cabriolet that she keeps up nicely.:thumbup:

BMWFAN275
05-16-2010, 06:07 PM

My sympathies. That just stinks. Try not to let it burn you up. :(

ULtimateCajun
05-16-2010, 06:58 PM
my girlfriend always gives me S#it for being very selective of where I park. I had a Mercedes before my Bimmer and I came back to my car in a mall parking lot with a similar dent in my passenger side door. I was pretty p.o'd! So I can feel your pain. I often park far or end spots as well so I can give those large SUV's with the kids swinging those doors open a little more room. It sucks but some people just don't care. Just don't start being one of those Porche guys that double parks.....that's a bit excessive and makes you look like a huge DB.

jpzeller
05-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I always park away from everyone else, and in an end stall so only one car can park next to me. ***holes that ding your car door are the reason gunpowder was invented.

a-holes that ding the car AND THEN DRIVE AWAY WITHOUT A NOTE

jpzeller
05-16-2010, 07:45 PM

Had a brand-new 1989 300E, and caught people in the act at a college football game (and I was from their school!). They had the audacity to yell at me when I very politely pointed out what was happening (old drunks). Luckily, I was with a Cook County assistant state's attorney, who duly noted the other car's plate and followed up the following week.

Wouldn't have happened if I'd been Jack Bauer.

B. Diddy
05-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I feel your pain.

Any BMW owner that parks next to me can be 100% sure that I'll be super careful about the doors. And I have a kid with a carseat!

JerseyGeorge
05-17-2010, 01:02 AM
Minivans, SUV's and soccer moms are the enemy... And Camry's. Nobody certainly gives a sh!t driving one of them.

I also drive a Camry and I care!

I don't care what kind of car someone drives......if you're a lazy, carless idiot you don't care one way or the other no matter what you drive!

As others have suggested you need to park FAR away where the other lazy heathens who don't care won't park:mad:

Financeman
05-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Not to worry.....my PDR person would charge about $50 to remove that dent. I've had several removed, many much worse, all with good results. Someone allowed a grocery chart to roll down hill into the side of my car last year....left a deep dent the size of a half dollar in my right rear quarter panel. PDR guy charged $60....removed the dent completely...though the paint was a little "stretched" and the spot can be seen if viewing in really bright light.

njlou
05-17-2010, 08:19 AM
you may have to resort to this for urban warfare!!

http://www.brighttrim.com/custom.asp?id=82519&page=90

BLUE550
05-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I do sympathize!

sorry for the dumb question - what is PDR?

njlou
05-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Paintless Dent Removal

gmatv16
05-17-2010, 11:35 AM
a-holes that ding the car AND THEN DRIVE AWAY WITHOUT A NOTE

makes me sick :mad:, sometimes if you are in the car people next to your car hit with their car door and say sorry and drive away without even waiting for you response.

dboy11
05-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I do sympathize!

sorry for the dumb question - what is PDR?

Paintless dent removal they are every where these days, cheap and fast way to remove little dinks like that

balbs
05-17-2010, 01:37 PM
I just had mine PDR'd this past weekend. You're lucky, at least yours doesn't have a scratch. I parked well away from other cars and this still happened to me. I posted pics on another forum:

http://forums.5series.net/topic/97990-how-do-i-get-this-dentscratch-fixed/

Balbs

Crmgr
05-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Some people just don't care. I've seen them just fling their door open using the car next to them as a backstop. It use to drive my ex crazy when I would drop her off at the door and park at the other end of the lot. She use to always say "it's just a car".

You're lucky at least that the dent is in a place where PDR can get to it. They do a great job and as long as the paint isn't broken you'll never know it was hit. I had a Lexus caught in a hail storm a few years back and I could not even tell after they went over it.

azbimmer
05-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Quoting: "My least favorite and least used is taking up 2 spots. Occasionally you have to park like a ********* because people ARE *********s. "

Does not mean you have to be one. People who take up 2 spaces deserve to have their cars dinged.

Bremen Ben
05-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Related question: does the PDR require taking down the inside panel of the door if the dent is on the door, or can it work from outside?

balbs
05-17-2010, 03:49 PM
I just had mine PDR'd this past weekend. You're lucky, at least yours doesn't have a scratch. I parked well away from other cars and this still happened to me. I posted pics on another forum:

http://forums.5series.net/topic/97990-how-do-i-get-this-dentscratch-fixed/

Balbs

CRAP!!! I saw this thread this morning...posted on it...I wanted to step out from work and then I found that somebody banged my car and didn't leave a note! I posted more on this thread:

http://forums.5series.net/topic/97990-how-do-i-get-this-dentscratch-fixed/page__st__15

Balbs

balbs
05-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Related question: does the PDR require taking down the inside panel of the door if the dent is on the door, or can it work from outside?

When they did mine, they didn't need to take off the panels. They sqeezed one of their tools between a gap they found and then "massaged" the dent from the inside.

Balbs

PhillyNate
05-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Quoting: "My least favorite and least used is taking up 2 spots. Occasionally you have to park like a ********* because people ARE *********s. "

Does not mean you have to be one. People who take up 2 spaces deserve to have their cars dinged.

This is the equivalent of saying women who dress provokatively deserve sexual assault. Assault a car or a woman because (you feel) they deserved it. Is this your stance?

PolkNole
05-17-2010, 05:24 PM
This is the equivalent of saying women who dress provokatively deserve sexual assault. Assault a car or a woman because (you feel) they deserved it. Is this your stance?

Dude, are you really trying to equate a car ding with rape? No - its not the equivalent - it isn't even in the same hemisphere of equivalent. :tsk:

PhillyNate
05-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Dude, are you really trying to equate a car ding with rape? No - its not the equivalent - it isn't even in the same hemisphere of equivalent. :tsk:

Alright, not an equivalent. Not OK to ding/vandalize cars purposely for ANY reason period.

PolkNole
05-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Alright, not an equivalent. Not OK to ding/vandalize cars purposely for ANY reason period.

Agreed and agreed.

But it is still uncool to take up 2 parking spots.

ROCKYTOP2
05-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Park in back 40 and walk... Its better for you and lowers worry and stress (and bail when you beat thier ass)

GoRavens
05-19-2010, 08:31 AM
note... if you park for away (as we all should and many times it is quicker than waiting for someone to back out), you need to be 'uphill' from where the shopping carts go. I saw a runaway cart slam into a new Maxima that was park far away. They were downhill from where the carts are placed in the middle of the parking lot.

530CE
05-19-2010, 09:04 AM
I park as far away as I can and I need the walk anyway to try and stay at a 34 inch waist. My wife's 3 year old X3 just got its first door ding a couple of months ago and PDR took care of it perfectly. I canít even find it.

Several years ago I had a brand new Cadillac (YukÖ) and the day I picked it up my son and I ran up to Albertsonís in Laguna Hills to pick something up. When we came out some stupid women in MB had sat her purse with metal feet right on the trunk lid and shoved her shopping cars right into the bumper. This car wasnít more than three hours old! I asked her if she had lost her f***ing mind and she wanted to call the PD on me.

Iíve decided stupid is just something we have to live with and try our best to avoid them.
:)

chrischeung
05-19-2010, 09:51 AM

Since it is hardly noticeable, it seems like it was an accident. I'm not sure how you can characterize this as being "inconsiderate", and the person a "jerk". I was rear ended a few years ago. I didn't think that person was inconsiderate or a jerk. And I don't characterize myself as an especially forgiving person. Are you even sure the person who did this knows that they dinged your car, since it is hardly noticeable? What happened to the benefit of the doubt? Over $50 of damage for goodness sakes. As my wife often says when I count the pennies, "I make that when I grab a cup of tea".

I park as close as I can to where I want to get, in the first space that is reasonably large enough, regardless of where I am - why call attention to yourself? I get dinged on average once a year. If you want nothing to happen to your car, just park it at home. Otherwise, just accept this as something that happens (regularly) in life and enjoy it. I'd be willing to bet that you lose more enjoyment worrying about your car than you gain in the satisfaction of keeping it pristine.

I'd prefer this thread to be about - "Where is the best place I can go to get this fixed?".

DTC-OFF
05-19-2010, 01:56 PM
When I go to any shopping center, ESPECIALLY A WAL-MART, I park a ridiculous distance away from any of the 1000's of minivans and SUVs filled with retard soccer mom drivers.

OH MY GOD YESSS! +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::lmao::lmao::l mao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

DTC-OFF
05-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Polks right....car dings are not things to laugh about.

E92-Lighting
05-19-2010, 04:44 PM
i always park well away from everyone, its a habit

UltimateDriving
05-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Man, if you're annoyed by that, you gotta see how many scratches there is on my E60.

It gets like a small scratch every now and then.
I REALLY FREAKING hate when people do it on purpose, and i can clearly see most scratches on the car ARE.
It makes me wanna take a gun and shoot everyone that stands near my baby :P

azbimmer
05-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Not an apt comparison. If you take up 2 spaces, you are inconveniencing other legitimate users of the parking spaces. Mini skirts never inconvenienced anyone.

For parking a**holes, check out this site:
http://jalopnik.com/tag/asshats/

Already BMW drivers are rated as the worst drivers in Britain. Let us park our cars in Siberia (as I do) and *never* inconvenience others.

Amen.

tyt215
05-19-2010, 10:35 PM
LoL this is funny, because i followed the thread which was brought up before. About 3 Months ago, i went to Target Parking Lot. I was almost parked but i noticed the side cars were pretty smashed up, so i pulled out and parked far away in open area. Guess what happend, i went shopping i came out and some dumb bit*h was trying to learn how to drive (After she received a driving license) and hit me on the side door and went all the way down to rear door and quarter panel. Lucky me that parking security noticed it and stopped her. It took 8,500 $ to fix it and another 10,000$ of headache. Car is in the accident report and i own it. Selling it will be painfull. So guys dont park away from other cars on parking lot.

tyt215
05-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Before that guy parked a Dodge HSE right next to me, got out of car and hit me on side door. I got out of the car and he was like whatever it was not me and walked away. In that case Gentleman you should do what i did. I took my Kersaw knife and went around the whole car. It was like racing stripe but just around the car... and i just went in the car. The funny thing is when guy got out he didnt even notice the scratch all around his car. Thats what really pissed me off.

Nube1kenobi
05-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Not sure if I condone vandalism but as payback my friend just got out a pair of dikes and started cutting tire valve stems... :) Then parked across the ways and watched the guy rant and rave, honked and drove off. :bigpimp:

rentsr
05-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Take up two spots when possible. Yea it is jerkish, but it provides a nice perimeter around your car away from carless swinging doors =)

rgaret
05-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Had my E60 about a month when someone dinged me in a hospital parking lot. I employ the "park in Guam" as my wife puts it. I need the exercise anyway :)

HPIA4v2
05-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Not a whole you can do, park center in the spot then pray.
Or maybe give the infomercial company an idea to make "car buoy" to hang by the sideways.:bigpimp:

cac3a
05-20-2010, 08:38 AM
LoL this is funny, because i followed the thread which was brought up before. About 3 Months ago, i went to Target Parking Lot. I was almost parked but i noticed the side cars were pretty smashed up, so i pulled out and parked far away in open area. Guess what happend, i went shopping i came out and some dumb bit*h was trying to learn how to drive (After she received a driving license) and hit me on the side door and went all the way down to rear door and quarter panel. Lucky me that parking security noticed it and stopped her. It took 8,500 $ to fix it and another 10,000$ of headache. Car is in the accident report and i own it. Selling it will be painfull. So guys dont park away from other cars on parking lot.

I've seen similar scenario happen live. Someone parked far away from everyone. The parking lot was sloping and delivery truck parked on multiple spots rolled back down hill and smashed the bimmer on the side. As the truck hit it, the other side of the bimmer was pressed against the curb, so you can imagine the kind of damage that it got. The driver of the bimmer was there loading some stuff into the trunk, he was ok, but there is nothing that he could do to stop it....