PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on this car pleaseeeee

dcnaser
05-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Laura here. trying to get a feel on what you guys think of this BMW

http://www.autochoiceisyours.com/cgi-bin/showroom.cgi?mode=show&id=511140&d_id=1032

I have never tried the 545I, always driven a 3 series but I need more room and power. The 7 series I heard can have so may problems, even though I know it depends.

Nube1kenobi
05-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Good looking car with a lot of the major options and low mileage for a 2004. Did you call them? How much did they want for it outside of their eBay auction? Are you familiar with the area? That small dealer is way out in the "sticks" of Eastern Washington...

dcnaser
05-16-2010, 06:48 PM
No not familiar with the area. I a planning to have it shipped if I bought it. I haven't negotiated the price yet. Waiting to see how much it will reach on ebay.

Nube1kenobi
05-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Good luck! I am a tire kicker myself so I have no experience with on-line sales.

Kamdog
05-16-2010, 07:08 PM
A car that old, I would want to see, smell, go over, and have a mechanic look at it.

Nube1kenobi
05-16-2010, 07:10 PM
a car that old, i would want to see, smell, go over, and have a mechanic look at it.

+1.

jeffjoes
05-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Hey Laura,
I'd get that car rapidly if the price is right for you... You sure wont have to worry about speed with the 545 girll...
Jump on that and it looks pretty mint for the year.. Seems who ever had kept it in good shape.

Jeff Joes

Gahngoo
05-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey Laura,
I'd get that car rapidly if the price is right for you... You sure wont have to worry about speed with the 545 girll...
Jump on that and it looks pretty mint for the year.. Seems who ever had kept it in good shape.

Jeff Joes

Laura,

Take Jeff's advice with a grain of salt, unless you're the gambling type. Don't be too quick to buy sight unseen, unheard, etc.... BMW's can be expensive to fix, so make sure you don't pay the cost of the car, shipping, taxes, tag, registration, etc only to discover that you bought a turd. :eek: Ask a lot of questions and do your homework to verify whatever info they tell you. Just my 2 cents....

JerseyGeorge
05-16-2010, 11:57 PM
+1.

+2

TRS550
05-17-2010, 07:35 AM
FWIW.....

It's a nice looking car, but........

It's a 2004 model. First year for the E60. That model year had more than it's fair share of problems. As others have stated, no way I'd buy that car without a PPI performed by an Indie I knew I could trust.

gmatv16
05-17-2010, 10:43 AM
FWIW.....

It's a nice looking car, but........

It's a 2004 model. First year for the E60. That model year had more than it's fair share of problems. As others have stated, no way I'd buy that car without a PPI performed by an Indie I knew I could trust.

+1:thumbup:

Ralph III
05-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Looks very nice! :thumbup:

You do need to be carefull in making such a purchase, as others have stated, but if you do your homework it could work out nicely for you. One thing to remember, BMW has an excellent warranty with free maintenance to 50k, so you can take comfort the car was most likely well maintained to that point. Secondly, they provided a bunch of pictures and that is typically a good sign of someone with nothing to hide.

1) Have them email you the carfax!

2) Call BMW-USA with the last 7 digits of the VIN. Get phone numbers for the BMW servicing dealerships (could be several). Call each one and inquire as to the history of the car. They may not give you detailed information but can give you the service history and whether any issues.

3) I would email the seller and ask specific questions (ever painted, wrecked, service status, fading, cracks, dents, or otherwise any issues, etc). This way you have something in writing. You do have recourse if they lie or misrepresent something! Ask about their return policy?

4) Check out the seller, not sure whether a dealer/individual, with BBB or otherwise.

5) Make a copy of their listing and look for it elsewhere, such as Cars.com or Autotrader.com. Again, this gives you proof of their listing/statements and may gain valuable additional information.

6) Ask them to take pictures of any "inperfections" and to email those to you. I noticed what appeared to be wear around volume control? Then have someone do a walk around while on the phone with you.

7) Lastly, call the nearest BMW dealership and inquire as to whether they would be willing to perform a safety inspection of the car? I had one performed for free by simply asking. Otherwise, cost involved? Then ask if the seller would take it by for such.

Good luck

Nube1kenobi
05-17-2010, 10:54 PM
There appears to be a couple dings on the right side by the fueling door and rear bumper; the rear glass seals are deteriorating. A well-equipped car with comfort seats... BUT I would still kick the tires... no telling what can bite you. :)

Ralph III
05-18-2010, 07:30 AM
There appears to be a couple dings on the right side by the fueling door and rear bumper; the rear glass seals are deteriorating. A well-equipped car with comfort seats... BUT I would still kick the tires... no telling what can bite you. :)

Good eye Nube1kenobi! Though I could not see back bumper ding. There are numerous other cosmetic issues and why she should insist they highlight all the imperfections for her. Most are cosmetic and addressable.

They put plastic over front floorboard, which is typical sign the car was detailed, however looks as if they could have done a little better job. The mats are very dirty and need cleaning or will have to be replaced. The steering wheel and center console need cleaning as with the passenger seat adjustments (driver side looks good).

There appears to be a chip on front windshield and the tools are missing in the trunk tool box?

Bremen Ben
05-18-2010, 08:51 AM
I also noticed the ding by the gas door. Also the light switch looks like it's been kicked in (easy fix though).

I would look at the car in person or if you are unable to, at least have two PPIs: one by the dealership (or reputable Indy shop) for the mechanical soundness and the other by a regular auto inspector for test drive, overall cosmetics and odor. Both would cost you probably around $500-600 but it is a worthwhile investment in making sure your risk is minimized.

grateful1
05-18-2010, 02:56 PM
a car that old, i would want to see, smell, go over, and have a mechanic look at it.

+3

looks very nice! :thumbup:

You do need to be carefull in making such a purchase, as others have stated, but if you do your homework it could work out nicely for you. One thing to remember, bmw has an excellent warranty with free maintenance to 50k, so you can take comfort the car was most likely well maintained to that point. Secondly, they provided a bunch of pictures and that is typically a good sign of someone with nothing to hide.

1) have them email you the carfax!

2) call bmw-usa with the last 7 digits of the vin. Get phone numbers for the bmw servicing dealerships (could be several). Call each one and inquire as to the history of the car. They may not give you detailed information but can give you the service history and whether any issues.

3) i would email the seller and ask specific questions (ever painted, wrecked, service status, fading, cracks, dents, or otherwise any issues, etc). This way you have something in writing. You do have recourse if they lie or misrepresent something! Ask about their return policy?

4) check out the seller, not sure whether a dealer/individual, with bbb or otherwise.

5) make a copy of their listing and look for it elsewhere, such as cars.com or autotrader.com. Again, this gives you proof of their listing/statements and may gain valuable additional information.

6) ask them to take pictures of any "inperfections" and to email those to you. I noticed what appeared to be wear around volume control? Then have someone do a walk around while on the phone with you.

7) lastly, call the nearest bmw dealership and inquire as to whether they would be willing to perform a safety inspection of the car? I had one performed for free by simply asking. Otherwise, cost involved? Then ask if the seller would take it by for such.

Good luck

+1

300zxmuro
05-18-2010, 03:20 PM

+2