PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I've the Aux Input in the Glove Box finally but ....

Zappo
11-11-2003, 12:08 PM
.... I don't have anything to try with it.

1. Do devices like iPods have their own battery power?

2. Can I use an adapter to provide power from the built-in E46 flash charger that's in the Glove Box for various devices?

3. What's the best way to provide flexible 12v power when using the Aux Input Connector .... a plug-in to the Cig Lighter?

OBS3SSION
11-11-2003, 12:59 PM
If you have a device that needs 12v power, I think your best bet would be to use the cig-lighter or get the power adapter than plugs into the flashlight recharger port.

Zappo
11-11-2003, 03:46 PM
If you have a device that needs 12v power, I think your best bet would be to use the cig-lighter or get the power adapter than plugs into the flashlight recharger port.

I did not know that there was a BMW 12v adapter that plugs into the flashlight recharger port ... cool.

Anyone by chance have a part number?

Thanks! :thumbup:

cokray
11-11-2003, 03:50 PM
I did not know that there was a BMW 12v adapter that plugs into the flashlight recharger port ... cool.

Anyone by chance have a part number?

Thanks! :thumbup:

http://www.pacificbmw.com/catalog/access/detail.asp?pid=33&category=5&section=20&model=E46

Zappo
11-11-2003, 10:34 PM
http://www.pacificbmw.com/catalog/access/detail.asp?pid=33&category=5&section=20&model=E46

Mucho thanks :thumbup:

Tanning machine
11-12-2003, 03:50 PM

Yes.

You'll need a male-to-male 1/8" patch cord. Radio Shack has 'em, and you can use it with anything that has a headphone (minijack) output (e.g., walkman, discman, etc.)

Zappo
11-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Yes.

You'll need a male-to-male 1/8" patch cord. Radio Shack has 'em, and you can use it with anything that has a headphone (minijack) output (e.g., walkman, discman, etc.)

Are you saying that anything like a Walkman, DiscMan, etc. with a 1/8" headphone minijack can be plugged into the Auxillary Input and it will play through the Head Unit?

Also, what is displayed on the head unit when playing through the Aux Input? Does an iPod provide song info like you get with Satellite radio or FM radio, etc? Does the Aux input have that kind of display capability or is it source dependent? Thanks :thumbup:

Tanning machine
11-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Are you saying that anything like a Walkman, DiscMan, etc. with a 1/8" headphone minijack can be plugged into the Auxillary Input and it will play through the Head Unit?

Also, what is displayed on the head unit when playing through the Aux Input? Does an iPod provide song info like you get with Satellite radio or FM radio, etc? Does the Aux input have that kind of display capability or is it source dependent? Thanks :thumbup:

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The aux input simply creates a way to put a different source into the head unit. It's like the back of your amp/receiver at home. You can plug in a turntable, tape, cd, etc. to that. the aux input makes that possible with the car head unit.

and i believe there's no display possible, because the data have to be output from the source. the ipod won't put that data through the minijack. you'd need some other way of getting the data in.

Zappo
11-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Yes, that's what I'm saying. The aux input simply creates a way to put a different source into the head unit. It's like the back of your amp/receiver at home. You can plug in a turntable, tape, cd, etc. to that. the aux input makes that possible with the car head unit.

and i believe there's no display possible, because the data have to be output from the source. the ipod won't put that data through the minijack. you'd need some other way of getting the data in.

Okay, I get it now ... Thanks!
:thumbup:

PABS
11-26-2003, 09:30 AM
What model year radios have the AUX input available?

Zappo
11-26-2003, 10:15 AM
What model year radios have the AUX input available?

Generally, all 2003 non-NAV model year 3 and 5 Series (and the X5s) have radios with this cabability. NAV models may have got it in 2004 (not sure).

The non-NAV head unit must have Software Version 50 or higher if it was built in mid to late 2002 for the 2003 cars. Any head unit with an actual built date in 2003 regardless of SW version should also have it. Note that these units also are Sirius Satellite Plug and Play compatible with the BMW OEM Sirius Controller Kit.

See this thread for more details:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37661

LordByron
01-02-2004, 09:45 PM

2. Can I use an adapter to provide power from the built-in E46 flash charger that's in the Glove Box for various devices?

3. What's the best way to provide flexible 12v power when using the Aux Input Connector .... a plug-in to the Cig Lighter?

Hook up your Sirius PNP if u can't afford the receiver its only 150 w/ a mail-in rebate