PDA

View Full Version : E series vs. 5 series

tf789
05-18-2010, 08:03 AM
I thought i was set on an 08 550, willing to pay in the mid $40's. Then I found this web site. I have to say after reading these posts for the past month or two, I'm having some doubts. While I don't expect perfection, especially from a car considered a 'drivers' car, its seems there a lot more problems than one would expect from a high end car.

So I started looking at the 09 E350 and E550. Nice car, not quite the personality and certainly not as quick for the 350. Theres a question here someplace.

How much premium do I put into a faster car to be willing to subject myself to a lot of problems, or is the Benz just as bad? And, am I seeing a biased view from BWM owners that need to vent because of problems and I am just reading the vocal minority?

fredderf4444
05-18-2010, 08:22 AM
do a search , but from what I have seen, the 550 seems very reliable compared to the 535. To me, the 535 is the car thats a true roll of the dice as far as getting a good engine or not.

The 550 does not have the HPFP and seems alot more reliable IMO.

F

grateful1
05-18-2010, 08:24 AM
What issues are you concerned about with a 550? My brother has a E550 and he has had his fair share of issues with his MB.

From a handling perspective with a car that isn't crazy expensive, you can't beat a bimmer. MB are nice but they are a different beast. My brother's comparison was that his car is a family cruiser and my car is a family "sports" sedan.

jpzeller
05-18-2010, 08:32 AM
What issues are you concerned about with a 550? My brother has a E550 and he has had his fair share of issues with his MB.

From a handling perspective with a car that isn't crazy expensive, you can't beat a bimmer. MB are nice but they are a different beast. My brother's comparison was that his car is a family cruiser and my car is a family "sports" sedan.

I was an E-class driver for 20 years (1989 300E, 1999 E320 4Matic, and 2007 E350 4Matic). Cars are nice, no doubt about it.

I developed a Jones for the 535i (mit X-drive), and pulled the trigger at the end of last June. I AM SO SORRY I WAITED THAT LONG!!!!!

In fairness to MB, I was fed up with the dealer in Northbrook, IL; of course, I have little experience with the BMW dealer (downtown Chicago), but based solely on the negoiation and delivery process, I'm very happy with the treatment I've gotten.

The MB service department was also bleeding me dry with maintenance.

The car? No comparison. I LOVE the Bimmer, while I really liked the MB.

A colleague at work and I bought our 535s at about the same time (different dealers). He's replaced his HPFP twice, I haven't had even a minor problem of any kind.

From what I understand, this just isn't an issue with the 550.

Just two cents.

jeffbtx
05-18-2010, 08:41 AM
I thought i was set on an 08 550, willing to pay in the mid $40's. Then I found this web site. I have to say after reading these posts for the past month or two, I'm having some doubts. While I don't expect perfection, especially from a car considered a 'drivers' car, its seems there a lot more problems than one would expect from a high end car.

So I started looking at the 09 E350 and E550. Nice car, not quite the personality and certainly not as quick for the 350. Theres a question here someplace.

How much premium do I put into a faster car to be willing to subject myself to a lot of problems, or is the Benz just as bad? And, am I seeing a biased view from BWM owners that need to vent because of problems and I am just reading the vocal minority?

Most sites like this whether they are BMW, Porsche, Chevrolet, etc. tend to exagerate the "bad" - that's what folks want to talk and vent about.

luxcar
05-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Many people only search/post on the forums when they are having problems. So what you see here can not be described as a general trend.

FastMarkA
05-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I think only the OP can answer his own question. :)

You'll find complaints and compliments on this board about the 5-series. If you go to the MB board, you'll find the same for the E-class.

The question is, which car will you get excited to take delivery? Then get that one.

ROCKYTOP2
05-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't know about others... BUT I lOVE MY 550!! Bad ass fun!
I've owned Benz and Bimmer. This is the best yet. Ive but 30k+ miles on her since Aug and I drive her hard.... :)

Munich77
05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
The 550i is pretty trouble free - the 535 i has problems with the fuel injection system.

My wife has an E350 4 matic - the car has been flawless thus far other than replacement of a front strut - for which MB issued a recall. The downside about an MB is that maintenance costs quite a bit. The free maintenance for BMW mitigates that cost until 4 years down the road.

The cars drive quite different - my recommendation would be to drive both. Either one is a great ride - I just happen to prefer the BMW.

jpzeller
05-18-2010, 03:32 PM
The 550i is pretty trouble free - the 535 i has problems with the fuel injection system.

My wife has an E350 4 matic - the car has been flawless thus far other than replacement of a front strut - for which MB issued a recall. The downside about an MB is that maintenance costs quite a bit. The free maintenance for BMW mitigates that cost until 4 years down the road.

The cars drive quite different - my recommendation would be to drive both. Either one is a great ride - I just happen to prefer the BMW.

+1, on all counts (except that my wife drives an RX 350).

calpalmer
05-18-2010, 04:47 PM
2008 550i here, loaded, not ONE problem. Meets, really exceeds, all my expectations and I've owned bimmers since '84.

Cal

TRS550
05-18-2010, 04:49 PM
2007 550 with a 6 spd manny.

Most awesome car I've ever owned.

BMWFAN275
05-18-2010, 05:33 PM
One test drive in the E class had me running, not walking to BMW. Your choices of engines on the E Class range from a practical (unthrilling and noisy) V-6 to the very expensive V-8. (No middle ground like the 535i) The ride is very cushy, not stirring. The steering, lifeless IMO. I hate the hood ornament, and the killer for me was that most of the E Class cars are sold with MB Tex, the high tech plastic seat covering. Almost all 5ers come with REAL leather. E Class is nice, but that's about it.

BickUW89
05-18-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm can only echo what every other 550i driver on here is saying - especially about the '08, since I own one - these cars are exceptionally well built!

30,100 miles on mine so far, and NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM, at all. Not even any annoying squeaks or rattles. This is hands-down the best car I've ever driven, let alone owned. It is 100x more trouble free than me E39 was, which I owned for 7 years and loved to death. I'm leary of getting out of the E60 for an F10 in a few years simply because I have absolutely nothing to complain about with this car. The late model E60s are exceptional in every possible way.

Oh yeah, and it's fun as hell to drive!

jpzeller
05-19-2010, 03:37 AM
One test drive in the E class had me running, not walking to BMW. Your choices of engines on the E Class range from a practical (unthrilling and noisy) V-6 to the very expensive V-8. (No middle ground like the 535i) The ride is very cushy, not stirring. The steering, lifeless IMO. I hate the hood ornament, and the killer for me was that most of the E Class cars are sold with MB Tex, the high tech plastic seat covering. Almost all 5ers come with REAL leather. E Class is nice, but that's about it.

Gotta disagree about the hood ornament.

:bigpimp:

jpzeller
05-19-2010, 03:38 AM
I'm can only echo what every other 550i driver on here is saying - especially about the '08, since I own one - these cars are exceptionally well built!

30,100 miles on mine so far, and NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM, at all. Not even any annoying squeaks or rattles. This is hands-down the best car I've ever driven, let alone owned. It is 100x more trouble free than me E39 was, which I owned for 7 years and loved to death. I'm leary of getting out of the E60 for an F10 in a few years simply because I have absolutely nothing to complain about with this car. The late model E60s are exceptional in every possible way.

Oh yeah, and it's fun as hell to drive!

+1

Oh, yeah - and Woof!

Munich77
05-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Gotta disagree about the hood ornament.

:bigpimp:

Ditto here - I love the hood ornament.

ROCKYTOP2
05-19-2010, 05:57 AM

+1

boring!!!! zzzzzz

Fahrer
05-19-2010, 06:12 AM
We have a 2003 E320 and a 2008 535 with standard suspension. Both are comfortable and both handle well. The 535 definitely handles better ( even with the standard suspension) and the engine is sweeter but I have a manual transmission in the 535. My experience is that the straight six with the automatic in the 5 series does not sound nearly as nice. I do like the big brakes on the 535 and how quick the car is without being a V8. Both cars have had their problems......sensotronic brakes on the MB and now the fuel system on the BMW.

The MB definitely has more room and the view out of the car is superior. In addition, it has a huge fuel tank. This all adds up to a better highway cruiser for long trips. The BMW is definitely better on country roads but is also good on the highway. They both get about 29 mpg on the highway when warmed up and cruising. The MB also has a superior HVAC system in my opinion. The paint job on my 535 is one of the worst I have ever seen on a new car. It was a real disappointment when I picked up the car. The paint on the MB is quite good, although not as good as on an Audi. Interior quality is comparable for both cars.

Bye the way, I decided to keep the MB. I definitely will NOT keep the BMW. The problems with MB have been worked out. I expect endless problems with the BMW fuel system now.

As always, it depends on what your priorities are when considering the better car for yourself.

Solanno1
05-19-2010, 09:18 AM
I love my 545i (OK, its not a 550) but my wife swears by her E. Both cars have been trouble free thus far except that I had the dealer change the brakes while still under warranty on the 545. Having said that, you gotta be prepared to spend $$s on both cars once they are out of warranty. You may luck out or you may not.

Go with what you like. Its gonna be you behind the wheel.

jagu
05-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't know about others... BUT I lOVE MY 550!! Bad ass fun!
I've owned Benz and Bimmer. This is the best yet. Ive but 30k+ miles on her since Aug and I drive her hard.... :)

What are you, a airport limo driver? That's almost 3500 miles a month:yikes:

PolkNole
05-19-2010, 02:49 PM

The E350 can't hold a 535i's jockstrap.

Fahrer
05-19-2010, 07:13 PM
The E350 can't hold a 535i's jockstrap.

And my 535 is a slug compared to my 911.... what's your point?:rolleyes:

PolkNole
05-19-2010, 07:46 PM
And my 535 is a slug compared to my 911.... what's your point?:rolleyes:

Uh, the point is this thread is specifically comparing those two cars?

What kind/year of 911? If its just a 911, well, a few hundred bucks in 535i mods and it will put up a good fight.

Fahrer
05-20-2010, 03:47 AM

Well, then, the 535 is not superior to the MB E350. It simply has different design priorities.

What kind/year of 911? If its just a 911, well, a few hundred bucks in 535i mods and it will put up a good fight.

And, my 535 ( even with mods) cannot compare with my 911 because they have different design priorities.

grateful1
05-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Without getting into a pissing match let me add my two cents for what it's worth.

Well, then, the 535 is not superior to the MB E350. It simply has different design priorities..

I'm not sure PolkNole ever stated that the bimmer was superior to the benz. What I believe his point was (and I agree with him) is that the bimmer handles and out performs the benz. I think you already commented that you agree with this point as well. I also agree with you that both cars were designed differently with different end goals obviously to accomodate a certain market.

What kind/year of 911? If its just a 911, well, a few hundred bucks in 535i mods and it will put up a good fight.[/B]

And, my 535 ( even with mods) cannot compare with my 911 because they have different design priorities.

My assumption is that your 911 is a really fast car and has different design priorities then a 5 series. Point taken. But for the purposes of this thread, we are comparing a benz E350/550 to a bimmer 550 so I'm not sure how the 911 got thrown in the mix.

In any case, to the OP, I don't think you can go wrong with either brand or model. It just really depends on what you are looking for in a car. I would suggest test driving both cars extensively and hopefully that will make your decision easier. As far as problems, I can't really comment from personal experience, but my perception is that if you are going to make a conscious decision to buy a european car and you intend to keep it after the warranty ends that you should fully expect to shell out some bones to maintain and fix it as these costs are relatively high (BMW, MB, Audi, etc.).

jeffbtx
05-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Without getting into a pissing match let me add my two cents for what it's worth.

I'm not sure PolkNole ever stated that the bimmer was superior to the benz. What I believe his point was (and I agree with him) is that the bimmer handles and out performs the benz. I think you already commented that you agree with this point as well. I also agree with you that both cars were designed differently with different end goals obviously to accomodate a certain market.

My assumption is that your 911 is a really fast car and has different design priorities then a 5 series. Point taken. But for the purposes of this thread, we are comparing a benz E350/550 to a bimmer 550 so I'm not sure how the 911 got thrown in the mix.

In any case, to the OP, I don't think you can go wrong with either brand or model. It just really depends on what you are looking for in a car. I would suggest test driving both cars extensively and hopefully that will make your decision easier. As far as problems, I can't really comment from personal experience, but my perception is that if you are going to make a conscious decision to buy a european car and you intend to keep it after the warranty ends that you should fully expect to shell out some bones to maintain and fix it as these costs are relatively high (BMW, MB, Audi, etc.).
I agree 100% - so many posts ask for opinions on mods, colors, comparisons, etc. I hope folks aren't making buying decisions based on opinions posted here - if you're going to buy an exhuast, find one and listen to it - YouTube isn't the way to compare. MB and BMW - folks should drive before they buy...and then consider any opinions expressed here.

Fahrer
05-20-2010, 08:23 AM

I was just rying to make the point that in some respects the MB is definitely superior to the BMW and there is no dogmatic assessment on which attributes are the most important. It depends on the designers' goals and the buyers' goals, not one fan's opinion.... like what's the best flavor of ice cream? .... that's why I threw in the 911 as an extreme.

Kzang
05-20-2010, 08:33 AM
do a search , but from what I have seen, the 550 seems very reliable compared to the 535. To me, the 535 is the car thats a true roll of the dice as far as getting a good engine or not.

The 550 does not have the HPFP and seems alot more reliable IMO.

F

A colleague at work and I bought our 535s at about the same time (different dealers). He's replaced his HPFP twice, I haven't had even a minor problem of any kind.

According to some members here, the HPFP is a non-issue and it seems that these very people have not directly experienced this problem with their 535i, so regardless of how many percentage of problems there are with the HPFP, they will be stuborn and ignore this fact until it actually happens to them and leave a bad taste in their mouth with this particular model. Luckily, I haven't had any issues with the HPFP and pray that it stays that way. However, with a $60K price tag on a car, I shouldn't have to worry about this.

so I'm not sure how the 911 got thrown in the mix.

Fahrer's "other" car is a 2008 Porsche 911S, Silver/Black as per his/her signature.

And its just simply people tend to think "their" car is superior over any other competitor's or even non-competitor's brand. If you browse over at MB boards, I'm pretty sure you will hear that their car is superior over the BMW.

To the OP, the fact is a 2008 - current 535i does have an issue with HPFP, BMW even attempted to address the issue by extending the warranty to 100K miles. But regarding the 550i, I have not heard or read of any issues that are consistent with other 550is owners.

Alpine300ZHP
05-20-2010, 10:41 AM
What are you, a airport limo driver? That's almost 3500 miles a month:yikes:

Thats not too bad. I do 2400 a month on my car and it is parked on the weekends (drive the 135 on the weekends). If I did all of my driving in the 535 I would be at 3400 easy. Some of us are combat commuters.....

grateful1
05-20-2010, 10:41 AM
[B]I was just rying to make the point that in some respects the MB is definitely superior to the BMW and there is no dogmatic assessment on which attributes are the most important. It depends on the designers' goals and the buyers' goals, not one fan's opinion.... like what's the best flavor of ice cream? .... that's why I threw in the 911 as an extreme.

I agree. Point taken.

And its just simply people tend to think "their" car is superior over any other competitor's or even non-competitor's brand. If you browse over at MB boards, I'm pretty sure you will hear that their car is superior over the BMW.

+1

Alpine300ZHP
05-20-2010, 10:43 AM
According to some members here, the HPFP is a non-issue and it seems that these very people have not directly experienced this problem with their 535i, so regardless of how many percentage of problems there are with the HPFP, they will be stuborn and ignore this fact until it actually happens to them and leave a bad taste in their mouth with this particular model. Luckily, I haven't had any issues with the HPFP and pray that it stays that way. However, with a $60K price tag on a car, I shouldn't have to worry about this.

Fahrer's "other" car is a 2008 Porsche 911S, Silver/Black as per his/her signature.

To the OP, the fact is a 2008 - current 535i does have an issue with HPFP, BMW even attempted to address the issue by extending the warranty to 100K miles. But regarding the 550i, I have not heard or read of any issues that are consistent with other 550is owners.

Uhh....talk to Jagu....the V8 motors have a lifter ticking problem that has been leading to engine rebuilds and, in Jagu's situation, engine replacements. I am sure it is more isolated than the HPFP issue, but that could simply be because the twin turbo was produced in much higher numbers than the V8.

grateful1
05-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Uhh....talk to Jagu....the V8 motors have a lifter ticking problem that has been leading to engine rebuilds and, in Jagu's situation, engine replacements.

Is this true? I spoke to my BMW mechanic who has never lead me astray and he indicated that the engine ticking is a known issue in non-turbo engines. However, he also said that it is very rarely attributed to how the car performs or the degredation of how the car runs. I had a 528 as a loaner the other day. It had less than 1k miles and I heard the engine tick. Even though the sound is annoying I'm not sure in all cases that it leads to engine failure. Or does it?

Kzang
05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Uhh....talk to Jagu....the V8 motors have a lifter ticking problem that has been leading to engine rebuilds and, in Jagu's situation, engine replacements. I am sure it is more isolated than the HPFP issue, but that could simply be because the twin turbo was produced in much higher numbers than the V8.

I read his thread.. and IMO based on all the complaints I have read here and other BMW sites it is not even close as wide spread as the twin turbo HPFP issues.. Actually, Jagu's thread is the only one I have heard of that actually had to have his engine replaced.

Kzang
05-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Is this true? I spoke to my BMW mechanic who has never lead me astray and he indicated that the engine ticking is a known issue in non-turbo engines. However, he also said that it is very rarely attributed to how the car performs or the degredation of how the car runs. I had a 528 as a loaner the other day. It had less than 1k miles and I heard the engine tick. Even though the sound is annoying I'm not sure in all cases that it leads to engine failure. Or does it?

My previous 525i, 6 cylinder engine had ticking noises and sometimes very pronouced.. BMW mechanic says its normal lol.

Alpine300ZHP
05-20-2010, 11:02 AM

Jagu can answer this better than I. I am just repeating what I have seen mentioned on the fest. Jagu's motor did not actually fail, but it was replaced under CPO warranty because they could not fix it after several attempts. My understanding is also that after a full breakdown of the engine premature wear was found as being the cause of the ticking problem. Would this lead to catastrophic failure? I cannot say. My point is that people should be aware that having a V8 is not a guarantee of problem free ownership. The only engine that seems to be completely problem free is the NA six cylinder base motor.

Alpine300ZHP
05-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I read his thread.. and IMO based on all the complaints I have read here and other BMW sites it is not even close as wide spread as the twin turbo HPFP issues.. Actually, Jagu's thread is the only one I have heard of that actually had to have his engine replaced.

I totally agree with what you said. I guess the real question is which is the lesser evil..the HPFP problem or the ticking lifter problem? We could debate that all day long and it is probably a personal preference issue. I wanted a 550 because of the M sport package, but got the 535 because the 550 burns significantly more gas, costs alot less money and I found a 6MT 535 and could not find a 6MT 550.

Kzang
05-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Jagu can answer this better than I. I am just repeating what I have seen mentioned on the fest. Jagu's motor did not actually fail, but it was replaced under CPO warranty because they could not fix it after several attempts. My understanding is also that after a full breakdown of the engine premature wear was found as being the cause of the ticking problem. Would this lead to catastrophic failure? I cannot say. My point is that people should be aware that having a V8 is not a guarantee of problem free ownership. The only engine that seems to be completely problem free is the NA six cylinder base motor.

And thats because you probably never heard of a 6 cylinder engine (despite the ticking noise ) ever being replaced under CPO. As I mentioned my previous car had a very loud engine ticking noise.. is it the same as Jagu's? I don't know because the dealer blew me off with an excuse saying its "normal".

TMQ
05-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I have heard about this engine ticking thing of non-turbo I6 engines from several sources. Not sure how big of a problem this would be. Most of the the current BMWs in NA use the N52 so let's hope it's a very rare issue.

I'm keep the 528i long term so I'll be paying close attention.

PolkNole
05-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Well, then, the 535 is not superior to the MB E350. It simply has different design priorities.

:confused:

EVERYTHING that is different, by definition, has different design properties. The only things that you CAN compare are things with different design properties!

All this time, I was thinking my BMW was supeior to a pogo stick but I am mistaken - they simply have different design priorities!:rofl:

tf789
05-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I need to drive the Benz to be sure but since i've had sports cars and sport sedans in my life since I was 16, I think i'll end up with the 550I. Although the Hundia Genesis has some potential. :eeps:

BTW, If I put 5 people in my 550, i'll beat a 911 with 5 people every day of the week.:rofl:

jagu
05-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I need to drive the Benz to be sure but since i've had sports cars and sport sedans in my life since I was 16, I think i'll end up with the 550I. Although the Hundia Genesis has some potential. :eeps:

BTW, If I put 5 people in my 550, i'll beat a 911 with 5 people every day of the week.:rofl:

Z4luvr
05-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Just did the Ultimate Drive last weekend where we drove similarly equipped E350, Lexus GS350 and BMW 535i. The MB was the weakest of the three in spirited driving. The front end dipped and dove like a dodgeball player. At high revs the engine sounded like a scared cat. The 535 was incredibly smooth and in control by comparison. The 550 would be a step above in terms of power. After driving all three cars back to back, I decided no one who ever did any spirited driving would want the MB. Its great to look at in the driveway, but on the road, it pales in comparison.

jagu
05-20-2010, 06:58 PM
^^^

Are you serious. The Benz was more sloppy than the Lexus?

Z4luvr
05-20-2010, 07:02 PM
^^^

Are you serious. The Benz was more sloppy than the Lexus?I thought so. The steering on the Lexus was looser, but the suspension on the Benz seemed to be all over the place. You could really see it when other drivers were on the course. The MB rear end could not stay in a straight line and the front dipped quite a bit. Having driven a MB for a while, I was very surprised. Our professional driver said the MB's handling (or lack thereof) was fairly obvious over their many events.

Fahrer
05-20-2010, 07:17 PM

EVERYTHING that is different, by definition, has different design properties. The only things that you CAN compare are things with different design properties!

All this time, I was thinking my BMW was supeior to a pogo stick but I am mistaken - they simply have different design priorities!:rofl:

Well I did decide to keep the Benz and it is working out after the previously mentioned repairs. The 535 is currently in shop getting both turbochargers and wastegates replaced at 42000 miles. I am glad it is still under warrantee because when I saw the car today on the lift they had the front suspension apart to get access. It looks like big $$$$$$...... as I have said before.....definitely not a keeper. Long term reliablity is one of my priorities and based on my experience the 535 just doesn't cut it for me.

PolkNole
05-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Just did the Ultimate Drive last weekend where we drove similarly equipped E350, Lexus GS350 and BMW 535i. The MB was the weakest of the three in spirited driving. The front end dipped and dove like a dodgeball player. At high revs the engine sounded like a scared cat. The 535 was incredibly smooth and in control by comparison. The 550 would be a step above in terms of power. After driving all three cars back to back, I decided no one who ever did any spirited driving would want the MB. Its great to look at in the driveway, but on the road, it pales in comparison.

Exactly. If driving experience is your top priority - can't hold jockstrap.

jboucher
05-21-2010, 07:38 AM

I would not worry about the 550. Even if it is not CPO, there are two years left on the factory warranty and it probably still has no charge maintenance for another two years!

your cost will be gas, tires, insurance, brake pads, but you will smile every time you push the start button:D the only thing better than the sound of a naturally apirated v8 starting up, is a naturally asprirated v10 (M5).

I have had zero problems with mine (I don't count a sofward glitch that disabled my eyebrow lights a problem)

have you driven the mercs?

SpartanGA
05-21-2010, 07:39 AM
We LOVE our 550 and have had zero issues (knock on wood).

We originally test drove many cars. Including Lexus GS and Benz E. The BMW was the drivers car, Lexus was like a corporate jet..smoother, less involved..Benz was a bit of both..no personality. I mention this to the Benz salesman and his reply was "that is a common comment. We feel the Benz is for those that cannot decide which type of car they like. Offers a bit of both'. Ok, but without any personality.

BMW, hands down.