PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to turn off the passenger airbag?

gp330
11-11-2003, 07:01 PM
Not for my wife...haha, but I have a 2003 Coupe and it would be great if my kid could ride in front sometimes.

I know on other sport coupes, they make it possible to turn off the passenger airbag for this very reason.

Anyone?

philippek
11-11-2003, 07:16 PM
The consumer can't, but a dealership can. Be prepared to sign a number of waivers and pay for a 1/2 hour of labor.

gp330
11-11-2003, 07:29 PM
That's a drag.

I have an older Mitsubishi 3000 with no passenger airbag and my kids love to ride up front.

Pinecone
11-12-2003, 02:20 AM
If the kid can wear the normal seatbelt, then it is OK. This means, if the kid is smaller, you may need a booster seat to properly fit the shoulder harness.

Just no car seats in the front, without disabling the passenger air bag.

GSR13
11-12-2003, 06:19 AM
If the kid can wear the normal seatbelt, then it is OK. This means, if the kid is smaller, you may need a booster seat to properly fit the shoulder harness.

Just no car seats in the front, without disabling the passenger air bag.

Are you sure about this? Here in Georgia my nephew is 10 and is still not legally allowed to ride in the front seat if there is an airbag. My neighbor's daughter is 9 and also not allowed in the front seat. I am not sure if it is height or age dependent, but both children can fit the seatbelt properly.

TGD
11-12-2003, 06:44 AM
I don't know about legal requirements, but I remember reading a long time ago that the minimum safe height of a front seat passenger is 1.5 meters.

PABS
11-12-2003, 06:59 AM
No children under 12 in the front in Georgia.

·clyde·
11-12-2003, 07:44 AM
Are you sure about this? Here in Georgia my nephew is 10 and is still not legally allowed to ride in the front seat if there is an airbag. My neighbor's daughter is 9 and also not allowed in the front seat. I am not sure if it is height or age dependent, but both children can fit the seatbelt properly.
Another example of shortsighted, simplistic thinking from legislators or regulators that would save us (or our kids) from ourselves because they think that we're stupid. :tsk:

We recently discussed (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42423) this issue here.

PABS
11-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Most people are stupid...I see examples of that every day...what seems like common sense to some seems to totally escape others.

Even if not required by law I still won't let my son ride in the front.

whk
11-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Another example of shortsighted, simplistic thinking from legislators or regulators that would save us (or our kids) from ourselves because they think that we're stupid.

I live in Georgia, and I can assure you that law or no law, dozens of kids are driven, in the front seat, to the elementary school near my house every day.

On a more positive note, here's a bit of evidence that some laws do encourage people to behave more safely that I found on the web, "For example, when Louisiana passed a strong adult belt law, child restraint use (child safety seats and seat belts) increased from 45 percent to 82 percent in just two years."

Pinecone
11-12-2003, 04:56 PM
There may be local laws that preclude this. But in reality, the child will be safe if the shoulder harness comes properly across the shoulder. This may require a booster seat to accomplish this. Children that are too short (and possibly some adults) the shoulder harness comes across the neck,w ith obvious consequences in a crash.

WRT GA law, so a 5 foot 11 1/2 year old can't ride in the front seat, but a 4 foot 12 year old can? makes sense to me, NOT. :)

Parrain
11-13-2003, 03:28 AM
I'm pretty sure that it is height and mass that make it safe/unsafe for a child to ride in the front w/airbag. The occupant will always come into contact with the airbag (even if restrained by a seatbelt) if it is deployed and if he/she doesn't have enough mass then bad things could happen.

I think that the age laws in certain states are based on the avg. mass/height for that particular population.

Pinecone
11-13-2003, 05:27 PM
Mass isn't a factor in anything I have seen on the safety, only height.

With modern seat systems there are seat belt tensioners that get the occupant tight back into the seat to minimize contact with the airbag.

As always, front seat occupants should sit as far back from the airbags as possible.

Parrain
11-15-2003, 05:22 AM
Even with the restraint, the airbag will make contact with the person, because its job is to exert a force on the person that is simply less of a force than the dashboard would exert absent the airbag. It accomplishes this by slowing your deceleration (increasing dt). It exerts a force = (2.5kg) * (-v/dt). This force is big because you are usually travelling fast in the car (v is large). If you don't have enough mass, then this impact can injure you. Here is a cool page about airbags.

http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edudev/LabTutorials/Airbags/airbags.html

Pinecone
11-16-2003, 04:05 PM
Even with the restraint, the airbag will make contact with the person, because its job is to exert a force on the person that is simply less of a force than the dashboard would exert absent the airbag. It accomplishes this by slowing your deceleration (increasing dt). It exerts a force = (2.5kg) * (-v/dt). This force is big because you are usually travelling fast in the car (v is large). If you don't have enough mass, then this impact can injure you. Here is a cool page about airbags.

http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edudev/LabTutorials/Airbags/airbags.html

If you are far enough away (seat back) and properly restrained by belts, you should NOT contact the air bag. The air bag is to keep you from hitting hard parts.

I know of a couple of people in accidents where they made no contact with the airbag.