PDA

View Full Version : Limp Mode

preston27
05-18-2010, 02:41 PM
My car has been at the dealership for 5 weeks. They have replaced the throttle body and throttle moduel, wiring harness and a DME. The car still goes into limp mode and they are stummped. Any ideas?Thanks in advace.

Nube1kenobi
05-18-2010, 02:48 PM
That's kinda hard to give any opinion when we don't know the symptoms, don't you think? :dunno:

preston27
05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Here are the issues.
Strats fine but sometimes it is a long start( a few seconds)
Driving along at about 2700 rpm the engine stumbles and the car goes into limp mode.
Erractic idle about 1100rpm and thats it, the car will not go. Idive says "ENGINE Malfuction, reduced power, encreased emisions, cruise control malfuction, active stearing malfunction. service engine soon.
At first I could shut the car off for 2 min and it would rest itself so I could get home. It prgressed now to the piont that the car is undrivable.

jesimmons
05-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Your original question was ... "Any Ideas?"

My Idea... Contact BMWNA for a buyback..... assuming you purchased it new and its under warranty. If mine had spent that much time in the shop undrivable and they still cannot figure it out, its time to "cut bait", sad to say. :(

Nube1kenobi
05-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Here are the issues.
Strats fine but sometimes it is a long start( a few seconds)
Driving along at about 2700 rpm the engine stumbles and the car goes into limp mode.
Erractic idle about 1100rpm and thats it, the car will not go. Idive says "ENGINE Malfuction, reduced power, encreased emisions, cruise control malfuction, active stearing malfunction. service engine soon.
At first I could shut the car off for 2 min and it would rest itself so I could get home. It prgressed now to the piont that the car is undrivable.

Whew... you do have some issues! At the risk of armchair quarterbacking... I believe you have 2 distinct and separate issues. 1) Battery (power) issue and, 2) DME control module program issue. I was leaning towards throttle potentiometer issue but you said they already replaced the harness, body and throttle module.. :dunno:

Edit: I forgot to add that a friend had a similar issue a few years back. I cannot recall the actual resolution but it was blamed on sulfated unregistered battery and corroded contacts; then they went from there... now he drives around in a '09 535i.

BimmerMan81
05-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Sounds like what happened to me, I had to get the high pressure fuel pump replaced...

preston27
05-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Just an update, the car is not fixed yet but the dealership has impressed me by not giving up.
We have ruled out the following
Wiring harness
Throttle body and harness
Accelerator pedal assembly
DME

Everyone seems to be stummped even BMW
No codes are showing.... no lights....... just runs in limp mode after one rev with the throttle then it goes into limp mode. Fuel pressure sounds like an idea but I think there would be a code showing if that was the problem.

preston27
06-18-2010, 10:10 AM
After all this it turns out that the new throttle body from BMW was bad off the shelf. The dealership put another new one on and it runs great! Performance BMW in Chapel Hill NC. rocks they are the only ones that will ever touch my car. My cost ZERO and was in a loaner car all this time. Even when I did not buy the car from them and no warranty they hooked me up. Awsome!!!!!

djfitter
06-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Sounds like what happened to me, I had to get the high pressure fuel pump replaced...

He doesn't have one.

dj

jesimmons
06-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Glad you're back in business!! Enjoy your ride!

-J-

Raymond Lee
06-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Preston27,
So glad to hear your problem is fixed!