PDA

View Full Version : 2008 535 Skipping - any ideas?

wantmye90
05-19-2010, 07:24 PM
I have an 08 535 with sport, 28,000 miles on it. When I get on the gas and put a load on the transmission, my car starts to "skip" intermitently as if the gear or engine is slipping. This is most noticeable when driving at highway speeds and then accellerating. Will also reproduce when rolling along around 30 mph or so and then giving it the gas. Doesn't seem to skip in the lower gears nor when driving gently around town. Just when putting a fair amount of load or tork on the drive train.

Took it by the dealer and service manager drove the car. He did notice the "effect" and said since no warnings were produced then no codes would have been thrown. Suggested that I bring it back in 2 weeks to a month when the BMW field rep was in town so he could drive it. Anyone have this or know of relevant TSBs?

History - HPFP replaced at 7000 miles. #5 cylinder misfiring at 24,000 and car was reprogrammed. Battery replaced at 26,000 miles.

Thanks!

Nube1kenobi
05-19-2010, 08:13 PM
There is a Steptronic transmission SIB but not sure if this applies as the tech would probably have cleared your EGS adaptation first if they suspected this is remotely causing it...

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/B242307g.htm

I'm not sure if this will reassure you but the decision to wait for the BMW rep's opinion IMHO is the best call. Too often in the past, issues such as this acceleration, stumbling, sputtering, etc. would cause an inordinate amount of focus towards the HPFP and related fuel systems. Without a thrown code, they apparently used to make a bee-line towards the drawer with the alcohol detection test syringe.

Although I feel for you... I am glad that they are resorting to the experts' opinions instead of doing shotgun troubleshooting. I hope they make your car well again! :)

wantmye90
05-23-2010, 05:53 AM
Thanks Nube1kenobi for that SIB. The service manager has called me back and said that he has researched all SIBs and can't locate one that he feels addresses my car's "skipping" or "hickupping". He said he checked all SIBs related to tranny, fuel systems, drivetrain, electrical, etc. Suggested we wait for the field rep's next visit and let him drive it for input. I hate that I have to wait and have this driveability issue, but good things come to those who wait, right?

HokieXDriver
05-23-2010, 06:23 AM
I guess the days of mechanics being diagnosticians are long gone. If the car doesn't tell them what is wrong, how to do it, then replace its own part, write up the invoice and then charge your credit card all by itself, they don't have a clue what to do.

mikewils
05-23-2010, 10:45 AM
I guess the days of mechanics being diagnosticians are long gone. If the car doesn't tell them what is wrong, how to do it, then replace its own part, write up the invoice and then charge your credit card all by itself, they don't have a clue what to do.

+1, for dealer mechanics

No code = :dunno: