PDA

View Full Version : 20" 4.6is wheels installed!

Driver8
11-12-2003, 02:57 PM
They are replica wheels, not BMW. However, they are indistinguishable from OEM. They are also staggered (10.5"R/9.5"F). I went with an all-season M+S-rated Goodyear Eagle RS-A in a 295/40R20 size at all four corners. Oddly enough, even at 38psi F/R they ride as well as the 19" SP wheels I replaced. I have several pics and I will post a few in here. Enjoy!

Driver8
11-12-2003, 03:02 PM
I hope these aren't too big for the bandwidth-impaired (like me...at home :-)

turbosteve
11-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Nice Wheels! :thumbup: Mind if I aks where you bought them and the price paid? Thank you

suzer
11-12-2003, 05:47 PM
Those look nice, as does the location.

Do you get snow in WVa (I'm not bandwidth impaired, just geography impaired)?

Emission
11-12-2003, 06:01 PM
They are replica wheels, not BMW. However, they are indistinguishable from OEM. They are also staggered (10.5"R/9.5"F). I went with an all-season M+S-rated Goodyear Eagle RS-A in a 295/40R20 size at all four corners. Oddly enough, even at 38psi F/R they ride as well as the 19" SP wheels I replaced. I have several pics and I will post a few in here. Enjoy!

They look sweet.

Why did you put identical sized rubber on staggered wheels?

I grew up in Parkersburg, WV. I didn't know people still lived there (oh, except that Jessica Lynch girl).... :D

gr8wall
11-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Nice looking wheels! :) Did you need to put in hubcentric rings? Some of the replicas requires them. You'll know because the X will feel like it has a slight wobble when driving 50+mph. Congrats on the wheels. It looks very nice with the SG.

Driver8
11-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Nice Wheels! :thumbup: Mind if I aks where you bought them and the price paid? Thank you

Steve - I got them from a company called O.E. Wheel Distributors out of Sarasota FL. They are an Ebay retailer - you can find their wheel auctions there. I have less than $900 in all four shipped. I bought the tires from the Tirerack (www.tirerack.com) and they were also less than $900 shipped.

Thanks for the compliment!

Driver8
11-13-2003, 09:27 AM
Those look nice, as does the location.

Do you get snow in WVa (I'm not bandwidth impaired, just geography impaired)?

Thanks, Suzer! The location is my side yard. We had one of those crisp November mornings last Saturday and I had been up until 2am earlier that same morning washing and shining the X5. It was a perfect morning to get pics. I took 128MB worth!

Do we get snow here? Yes, but not bad. It snowed this morning, although it was just a light dusting. All things considered, we don't get huge amounts of the stuff, but we do get enough that awd sure is a nice option to have on the 10-15 days a year that the roads are covered with snow.

This is why I went with the Goodyear Eagle RS-A mud and snow rated tires. The 19" Michelins were a great summer three-season tire, but are of little value in cold and icy weather. They should be fine for our needs. Between the X5 and my wife's Audi S4 (with Michelin Pilot Alpin snow tires) we should be able to get out when things get icy.

Driver8
11-13-2003, 09:37 AM
They look sweet.

Why did you put identical sized rubber on staggered wheels?

I grew up in Parkersburg, WV. I didn't know people still lived there (oh, except that Jessica Lynch girl).... :D

Hey Em,

The choices for 20" rubber for these wheels is VERY limited. If I had gone with the OEM staggered sizes, I would have had, umm...one choice, the Michelin Diamaris, which took me away from my goal of being able to drive in the winter and not having another set of wheels and tires lying around.

Several others on the Roadfly message board reported success (and better tire options) in going to the non-staggered 295/40-20 size. Using staggered wheels with non-staggered tires gives you a very similar effect as using non-staggered wheels with fat n' skinny tires (which I had on my 528i), i.e. the perception and the appearance of a slightly less staggered setup. By all appearances, the extra one inch in wheel width is clear. It is not as pronounced as the "double-staggered" OEM wheels and tires that come on the 4.6is, but for my purposes, it's a perfect compromise.

Regarding your old hometown, nobody lives in Parkersburg anymore. Nobody. Totally dead. They all moved to L.A. It's just a ghost town with dark buildings and empty streets. ;-)

Jessica Lynch lives in Cairo, WV, a few miles away, or a "fur piece" in the local vernacular.

Driver8
11-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Nice looking wheels! :) Did you need to put in hubcentric rings? Some of the replicas requires them. You'll know because the X will feel like it has a slight wobble when driving 50+mph. Congrats on the wheels. It looks very nice with the SG.

Hi Gr8,

I installed hubcentric rings on the rear wheels only. Odd, but that is how they were delivered. Other aftermarket wheels that I have owned that required hubcentric rings specified them at all four corners. And I gotta say, these are about the best balanced wheels and tires I have ever owned...I mean they are rock-solid and baby-butt smooth all the way to arrest-me-now velocities.

One question for you...I've racked my brain and cannot figure out your "SG" reference...what is SG? Thanks!

gr8wall
11-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Hi Gr8,

I installed hubcentric rings on the rear wheels only. Odd, but that is how they were delivered. Other aftermarket wheels that I have owned that required hubcentric rings specified them at all four corners. And I gotta say, these are about the best balanced wheels and tires I have ever owned...I mean they are rock-solid and baby-butt smooth all the way to arrest-me-now velocities.

One question for you...I've racked my brain and cannot figure out your "SG" reference...what is SG? Thanks!

Hey Driver8,

That's cool. If they are running rock-solid, then you're all set. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about with the driving at "arrest-me-now" speeds :angel:

As for "SG", I was referring to the color of your X. It is Steel Gray, right? :)

Driver8
11-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Hey Driver8,

That's cool. If they are running rock-solid, then you're all set. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about with the driving at "arrest-me-now" speeds :angel:

As for "SG", I was referring to the color of your X. It is Steel Gray, right? :)

Oh, of course, my bad! Yes, steel grey over grey leather. A very nice color for this car, IMHO. I initially wanted Black, but I have grown to like this color quite well.

SupraRZ
11-19-2003, 03:10 AM
$900 shipped is a VERY good deal.. after all, they're making about $80 per set, so the profit margin is quite low. Congrats on the wheels, they look great... I've seen 20" 4.6 wheels on base model X5's and it looks a bit tacky, but with your exterior modifications it looks very tasteful.

iwpb2001
02-14-2004, 09:34 AM
These are exactly the same wheels I wanna get (also from Sarasota on ebay). Did you go from stock 17' to these 20'? Any difference in ride....sluggish? feel heavier? Any problem with the replica wheel?

Thanks in advance

What did you do with your old wheels and tires. I hate to stick 4 brand new BMW wheels with Michilins Diamatis (?) in my attic.

Verbalkint
09-27-2004, 07:48 PM
The Sequel"? :)

Verry nice.

~Ken

IFlyX5
09-28-2004, 07:23 AM
I heard that this Sarasota dealer is a very good and reputable dealer on eBay. Someone from Tampa, FL also bought from this dealer and he's very happy. If you are in Tampa and looking for a place to mount the tires, try TransWheel 813-909-4010 and ask for Sammy. He's the best there is and they have the new Hunters DSP7000 wheel balancer.

These are exactly the same wheels I wanna get (also from Sarasota on ebay). Did you go from stock 17' to these 20'? Any difference in ride....sluggish? feel heavier? Any problem with the replica wheel?

Thanks in advance

What did you do with your old wheels and tires. I hate to stick 4 brand new BMW wheels with Michilins Diamatis (?) in my attic.

SuperGreg
09-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Oh, of course, my bad! Yes, steel grey over grey leather. A very nice color for this car, IMHO. I initially wanted Black, but I have grown to like this color quite well.

Very nice setup! Nice photography as well :)

Driver8
09-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks, VK!

I've got a few pix up my sleeve. I got some sweet ones of my M3 this weekend that I'm dying to share :-)

Mike

Driver8
09-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks, SG! Most of these I took with my old Soney DSC-S75, a 2nd-gen 3mp camera that I truly loved. I can get some great stuff with my newer Sony DSC717, but it's a bear to lug around, I just bought a teeny weeny lil Sony DSCP100 5mp that does quite nicely. I'll post something soon from it.

Mike

breytonX5
09-28-2004, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=I've got a few pix up my sleeve. I got some sweet ones of my M3 this weekend that I'm dying to share :-)

Mike[/QUOTE]

Amazing photograps, Mike. Love those scenic background. Can't wait to see pics of the M3. Meem is another RF member who posts breathtaking pics of his e46 M3 against Boston backdrop.