PDA

View Full Version : Clicking popping steering wheel

MSAMMY
05-21-2010, 08:56 PM
I've had a problem for a while that's getting much worse every day. When I drive the car and turn the steering wheel, there is a weird clicking/popping/rubbing sound that comes from the steering wheel very close to the steering column up very high. I can feel the click/pop/rub/whoosh as a vibration through the steering wheel as I'm turning. It doesn't matter what speed I'm driving and it's giving me a feeling the steering wheel is loose? :yikes: Has anyone experienced this problem before? :dunno:

hkninja
03-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Yes, but i don't know what causes it tho...... Mine clicks and pop..... I'm going to bring it bacck to the dealership next week. Did you ever figured out what is it?

garrett1983
05-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Did anyone ever figure out what this is? I have the identical issue on my out of warranty 2008 528i

garrett1983
05-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Help! What was it?

MSAMMY
05-29-2012, 10:49 PM
In my case, I've found it's the round horn/airbag button in the center of the Sport steering wheel, it's loose and moves around when turning. It varies when it's hot/cold and for the most part, it's no big deal. You can turn it a bit and it will lock tighter to the wheel and the problem goes away for a while.

John NY
05-30-2012, 03:28 AM
My 09 535 did something similar. When the steering wheel was turned, I'd hear a strange vibrating noise. I at first thought something was loose and was rattling. My dealer took the car for a day, and the problem turned out to be the steering pump. They replaced the part and the noise was gone.