PDA

View Full Version : Sirius .. Bad News and Good News ... Read On:

Zappo
11-12-2003, 05:55 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/031110/media_sirius_stocks_1.html

SpaceMonkey
11-12-2003, 05:59 PM
That's why I picked XM over Sirius almost a year ago. And the BMW unit mentioned is already out. Nick installed it successfully. :)

Anyone looking to sell their 2003 e46 head unit? :eeps:

nealh
11-12-2003, 06:04 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/031110/media_sirius_stocks_1.html

That maybe the case but I believe you will need adapter plus a tuner

Blitzsafe is supposed to have an adapter that will allow XM in sat radio ready cars to display on the MID ...but I think when you look at price of the adapter plus tuner it will be close to a discounted Sirius setup

both of course need antennae

I see the advantage to lower cost with XM but I am getting Sirius since I do not want any commerials with my music...

SpaceMonkey
11-12-2003, 06:32 PM
That maybe the case but I believe you will need adapter plus a tuner

Blitzsafe is supposed to have an adapter that will allow XM in sat radio ready cars to display on the MID ...but I think when you look at price of the adapter plus tuner it will be close to a discounted Sirius setup

both of course need antennae

I see the advantage to lower cost with XM but I am getting Sirius since I do not want any commerials with my music...

The XM kit comes with everything you need: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45392&highlight=xm+direct

And more than half the XM music stations don't have commercials. The ones that do have roughly 2 minutes per hour.

nealh
11-12-2003, 06:55 PM
I still prefer no commercials if I am paying for music, I realize the third party shows..like ESPN radio etc have commercials

You still need a sat ready radio(basically just 03 BMWs with no Nav and future 04)..so XM setup is about same price as Sirius...you can get the Sirius receiver and antennae for $340 from Circle BMW....

I guess this is a nice alternative to Sirius for those who want XM

you may not need the mounting kit...

I would hope over time ther will be enough for both services to thrive better if there is competition for the consumer...but of course one or both can fail
Sat. radio is just in its infancy

TD
11-12-2003, 07:05 PM
All I can say to that news story is - WOOOHOOOO!!!

My XM stock has now more than paid for all of my XM equipment (2 units and associated adapters, etc) and a lifetime of service for both accounts. By a large margin.

Thanks XM.

Jetfire
11-13-2003, 06:53 AM
Around this time last year, I considered buying XM stock. It was DIRT CHEAP (like $1.00 or so) and I had this hunch that it would do very well.

God damn it.

Zappo
11-13-2003, 10:32 AM
The XM kit comes with everything you need: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45392&highlight=xm+direct

And more than half the XM music stations don't have commercials. The ones that do have roughly 2 minutes per hour.

Where does the XM box mount? ... Is it in the truck on the left side where the BMW CD Changer and Sirius box would normally go? I have a 2003 Sirius Compatible Head Unit (Dealer warranty swap out for Poor AM reception a while back) and a BMW OEM CD Changer mounted on the left in the truck with the larger cover panel .... Standard Dealer installation. With the Sirius you unplug the CD cables and plug into the new Sirius box and then get a special BMW adapter to link from the Sirius back to the Changer.

Is this the same for the XM Box? Would like to know before spending any money. Thanks :thumbup:

LordByron
01-02-2004, 09:04 PM
That's why I picked XM over Sirius almost a year ago. And the BMW unit mentioned is already out. Nick installed it successfully. :)

Anyone looking to sell their 2003 e46 head unit? :eeps:

I would NEVER paid for a service that comes with commercials ... sooner or later people will catch on...and I say this being a one time XM subscriber now I have SIRIUS in my BMW

Jetfire
01-02-2004, 09:22 PM
I would NEVER paid for a service that comes with commercials ... sooner or later people will catch on...and I say this being a one time XM subscriber now I have SIRIUS in my BMW
Do you pay for cable TV?

Sure, commercials aren't the most desirable thing when paying for radio service. But the relative infrequency of commercials on XM, combined with the superior programming IMO, and the lower monthly price, all added up to a win for me.

LordByron
01-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Do you pay for cable TV?

Sure, commercials aren't the most desirable thing when paying for radio service. But the relative infrequency of commercials on XM, combined with the superior programming IMO, and the lower monthly price, all added up to a win for me.

superior programming??? with commercials?? uummm I had both services and it all depends on what u listen to... the reason I went for Sirius was because it is COMMERCIAL FREE and for the music and sport programs I listen to is much "superior" than XM, I hate to listen to those corny commercials and they are the same ones all the time !!! at least change it up a bit... XM has much better ROCK selection but I don't care about ROCK it all depends on what you like... but sound SIRIUS is much better than XM...

Cheers