PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Pressure

TS Surfer
05-22-2010, 08:21 AM
I have a 550i (08). i was driving on the highway,pulled off on my exit and got a control message for engine oil pressure low, stop engine or possible engine damage. i drove home and parked (engine sounded normal and typical), i checked the oil level its says okay and the level indicator shows max level, i also have 4000miles to my next oil change. i looked in the engine compartment and there is no sign of leak. what could be causing this ?

Spyder
05-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Faulty sensor or bad oil pump are the most likely causes. I definitely would not drive the car until diagnosed since if the oil pressure is indeed low, engine damage could result before you even hear the consequences.

Spyder

Stigmata
05-22-2010, 10:16 AM
+1

TS Surfer
05-22-2010, 12:42 PM
i forgot to mention, the message came up when i was parking the car. i drove the car this morning , no issues no message, again while i was about to park the message came back on. so i havnt seen the message while driving really.

Spyder
05-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Oil pressure is generally proportional to rpm, so is naturally lower when idling/parking. Sounds like your pressure may be marginally low as could be caused by loose tolerances in the oil pump. I'd have it looked at asap.

Spyder

Nube1kenobi
05-22-2010, 01:42 PM
+1 - This conditon can also be attributed to a filtration system not operating in its optimum efficiency. I would be very curious what your oil filter looks like and what debris it has collected. This is one of the reasons why most festers, as I do, subscribe to more frequent oil changes than BMW "free" maintenance program covers.

TS Surfer
05-22-2010, 02:51 PM
@ spider i figure, but if the pump was bad, dont you think i will have pressure issues regardless of engine speed, @ Nube1kenobi i taught about that also ,oil change was done about 10k miles ago,so its possible i have a clogged filter, it seems like the filter might be the issue, it explains why i didnt get the fault whilel driving because the higher oil flow will move around dirty back and it will settle on lower rpms. i will get it check out as soon as i can make an appointment..

skippy_ps
05-22-2010, 03:16 PM
If you keep driving the car while getting a low pressure warning and then burn up the engine, there's a good chance that it won't be covered by warranty. I'd guess about $7 - $10k for a new engine. I wouldn't be willing to take that risk.

Spyder
05-22-2010, 04:47 PM
@ spider i figure, but if the pump was bad, dont you think i will have pressure issues regardless of engine speed...

Not necessarily. If the warning is triggered at a specific pressure, and your pump is operating at, say, 10% below normal pressure at all engine speeds, then the warning would likely occur at lower rpm's when the absolute value of pressure is lowest.

Spyder

TS Surfer
05-22-2010, 07:29 PM
@ spyder, i see your point, i guess i will be okay driving it to the dealer since i dnt have low pressure while driving. (10mile drive) , where do you stand on the filtration idea? i am thinking thats more likely..

Spyder
05-23-2010, 09:15 AM
@ spyder, i see your point, i guess i will be okay driving it to the dealer since i dnt have low pressure while driving. (10mile drive) , where do you stand on the filtration idea? i am thinking thats more likely..

Certainly a possibility, but not your best outcome, ie, if the filter is clogged, than the engine may have suffered some consequence of low oil pressure. If it's the sensor, then no chance of damage, but also easy to exchange. Pump more worrisome.

Spyder

jesimmons
05-23-2010, 09:55 AM
I'd get it checked ASAP!!! One other thing I can think of... though more unlikely... would be deterioration of the oil. If the oil has broken down (sheared to a lower weight) or become diluted, it could be too thin at operating temps, thus causing a low pressure reading at low RPM. Another reason I refuse to go the full 15K mile interval on oil changes. I think $7-10K is way low on a replacement engine.... At least on the N54, BMW parts sites show $19,000 for a replacement engine (new). :(

Not worth risking in any case.

bigreds
05-23-2010, 08:00 PM
There are a plethera of possibilities of why you get this message. Oil filter, Oil pressure sensor and your oil level sensor could be malfunctioning as well. I'll tell you this, your continuing to drive that car is.............well, not a good idea! I would not tell the SA that you continued to drive it, they may tell you, you were negligent and with a price tag of an engine being north of $10,000 they may tell you to take a hike.

TS Surfer
05-23-2010, 09:18 PM
i know better than to ignore the message regardless of the cause. oh no i am not driving the car, the car is parked. i have only seen the message twice, the first time it came up while parking as i previously explained, then 2nd time was when i tried to replicate it, got message again while parking , so parked it. i called the SA they closed for the weekend so i am taking it in as soon as i can get scheduled in this week. though i turned the car on today while parked just to listen to the engine sound and see if a message comes up, after idling for like 5mins no message, engine sounds normal, no engine lights, checked all oil levels , all are okay, no oil leaks still..so i am confident there is no damage done. But i will get it in to get checked out and fixed this week.

Ryan M
05-23-2010, 09:20 PM
I doubt it's the filter. There is a bypass in the filter housing that allows oil to flow around the filter, bypassing it, in the event it gets clogged. Dirty oil is better than no oil.......

TS Surfer
05-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Yeah the engine is not starved of oil... And sounds normal so I think it's not a biggie. Still wudnt drive it until I get it checked and fixed.. But I feel oil quality or sensor unit.. But o well will find out.

TS Surfer
05-27-2010, 05:56 AM
well i took it in and did a multi check inspection and oil and filter change and nothing was found. I also drove the car home and no message. Then i decided to go push the car (100-120mph) nothing still, so i parked it and left it on idle for a while and it eventually came back. Cycled key and it cleared. Any thoughts?

Spyder
05-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Did it throw a code? They need to attach an oil gauge, dupicate the condition, and determine if the pressure is indeed low. If not, replace sensor; if yes, replace pump.

Spyder

jesimmons
05-27-2010, 08:54 AM
well i took it in and did a multi check inspection and oil and filter change and nothing was found. I also drove the car home and no message. Then i decided to go push the car (100-120mph) nothing still, so i parked it and left it on idle for a while and it eventually came back. Cycled key and it cleared. Any thoughts?

Well it apears that you can repeatably reproduce the issue. So contact your SA, offer to bring it in and let them see it first hand and continue to diagnose as Spyder recommends. The downside of a faulty oil delivery system can be pretty severe.

jeffbtx
05-27-2010, 10:09 AM
By taking it in, you at least start the documentation process in case it turns into a bigger problem later.

TS Surfer
05-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Nope no faults ...Yeah I agree.. I will do so ... Thanks

Spyder
05-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Nope no faults ...

Odd that such a potentially serious warning doesn't simultaneously throw a code. You might consider a second opinion, or a call to BMW customer relations.

Spyder

TS Surfer
05-27-2010, 07:47 PM
do you realize the e60 (550), doesn't have a pressure sensor but a pressure switch, meaning open or close .. that's a two stage device. that can easily fail..@ spyder going to try to schedule an appointment in the tomorrow morning.

Spyder
05-27-2010, 08:14 PM
do you realize the e60 (550), doesn't have a pressure sensor but a pressure switch, meaning open or close .. that's a two stage device. that can easily fail..

I'm quite familiar with the terminology and technology. Sensor output can be either analogue or binary, the latter no less reliable than the former, especially when designed to monitor vital engine parameters. Good luck with your second appt.

Spyder

neck
04-09-2012, 11:16 AM
do you realize the e60 (550), doesn't have a pressure sensor but a pressure switch, meaning open or close .. that's a two stage device. that can easily fail..@ spyder going to try to schedule an appointment in the tomorrow morning.

TS Surfer,
What was the fix?
I'm seeing this issue w/ a friends car 545i.