PDA

View Full Version : Drove a 760il - Mega Wow Factor!

Parump
11-12-2003, 07:57 PM
I drove the 760il for the Susan Komen drive and was simply astounded. I was absolutely amazed with the superb handling, acceleration, and regal comforts. From my perspective, it drove like a small car! I was duly impressed and felt like a king for twenty minutes. The ultimate cure for a challenging day at work. Anyonelse at Weatherford BMW today?

I am still recovering from the Wow factor.

zhangqj
11-12-2003, 11:15 PM
I drove the 760il for the Susan Komen drive and was simply astounded. I was absolutely amazed with the superb handling, acceleration, and regal comforts. From my perspective, it drove like a small car! I was duly impressed and felt like a king for twenty minutes. The ultimate cure for a challenging day at work. Anyonelse at Weatherford BMW today?

I was at Weatherford today. Nice cars. But the route they chose didnt allow the car to stretch its muscle. Should go to Stevens Creek, which had a route on 280 that a 760Li could easily go north of 110mph without you even noticing it.

Chris330Ci
11-13-2003, 10:01 AM
I was at Weatherford today. Nice cars. But the route they chose didnt allow the car to stretch its muscle. Should go to Stevens Creek, which had a route on 280 that a 760Li could easily go north of 110mph without you even noticing it.

Maybe that's why they chose the route they did...? :eeps: :dunno:

Spectre
11-13-2003, 01:13 PM
I've got the 760iL booked for this weekend at Claridge's. I wonder they'll choose as the route. :dunno: Hopefully something with a bit of highway in it, although since it's expected to rain, this may not be as much fun. And I have a Z4 booked. :(

Melissa
11-13-2003, 01:57 PM

If you buy one, will you be my Sugar Daddy? :smokin: :p

I still haven't recovered from the Wow factor from my 20 minutes in ecstacy last spring!

Parump
11-13-2003, 06:12 PM
If you buy one, will you be my Sugar Daddy? :smokin: :p

I still haven't recovered from the Wow factor from my 20 minutes in ecstacy last spring!

Would love to be a sugar daddy. Unfortunately, our daughter's dentist presented us with a long list of sugar containing foods and drinks to be avoided. Hence, I will probably be the daddy without the sugar . . .

Actually, there were some humorous sidelines for the drive. First, my client advisor instructed me about the voice activated software. I couldn't remember the frequency of my favorite radio station and while trying to switch to a quieter selection, I activated the telephone. " Hello, Mr. Purves, I am driving. . ." Just joking. But, I did select the phone option - by accident. I just reduced the volume. Problem solved.

The provided map didn't seem to follow my knowledge of the streets. I don't know if the intended route included speed bumps and detours. Nevertheless, the car drove with incredible smoothness and agility. I actually drove this car with extreme care. I would feel guilty if I abused it.

I really like the start button. A cool feature.

zhangqj
11-13-2003, 09:52 PM
I've got the 760iL booked for this weekend at Claridge's. I wonder they'll choose as the route. :dunno: Hopefully something with a bit of highway in it, although since it's expected to rain, this may not be as much fun. And I have a Z4 booked. :(

Peter, being a Saturday may mean a big crowd. If you stay long enough though, you can practically drive all of them. Lunch is provided, so ... Aside from the 760, Z4 manual is a lot of fun (if it's not raining).

Today at lunch time, I went to BMWSF and there was hardly anyone driving those cars. So took the 760Li out again, but with traffic light every 1/8 mile and muni/bus on my left and bicyclists on my right, I spent more time enjoying the wonderful stereo and had my butt and lower back massaged (yes 760Li has a massage seat).

It's interesting that they used to have M3 in the fleet. But a couple of years ago, someone drove it like he were at Talladega and flipped the M3. That was the end of M cars in the Ultimate Drive.

stsmytherie
11-14-2003, 10:15 AM
Did the Drive a few weeks ago in Seattle. Much fun. My impressions of the cars:

Z4 3.0 -- Fun car, very comfortable, seating position enhances the sportiness greatly. I like this car more every time I drive one.

330ci -- Great car. Duh. I may be biased as the former owner of a 330i and current owner of a 325it.

530i -- Solid, more comfortable and roomy than the 3er, very stable in very wet conditions. Great engine for this car. The 540 must be a blast!

760i -- Excellent engine ruined by a grotesque car and bloated interior. No car should require that much instruction before driving. It actually felt less roomy than the 5er. But, put your foot into it and this beast takes off like a rocket!

YMMV

Spectre
11-14-2003, 02:11 PM
Peter, being a Saturday may mean a big crowd. If you stay long enough though, you can practically drive all of them. Lunch is provided, so ... Aside from the 760, Z4 manual is a lot of fun (if it's not raining).I don't mind sticking around. And free lunch doesn't hurt. :DToday at lunch time, I went to BMWSF and there was hardly anyone driving those cars. So took the 760Li out again, but with traffic light every 1/8 mile and muni/bus on my left and bicyclists on my right, I spent more time enjoying the wonderful stereo and had my butt and lower back massaged (yes 760Li has a massage seat).Lunchtime seems to quiet down at all of these events. I had my choice of virtually all of the cars during the last Ultimate Drive in which I participated.It's interesting that they used to have M3 in the fleet. But a couple of years ago, someone drove it like he were at Talladega and flipped the M3. That was the end of M cars in the Ultimate Drive. :tsk:

Spectre
11-19-2003, 03:12 PM
Yeah, the 760Li was a big wow. Claridge's didn't have lunch, but they had plenty of Krispy Kreme donuts on hand.

The 760Li handled like a dream. The engine was incredibly smooth, the interior comfortable. The only problem my son and I had was working the iDrive. Since they didn't really explain it to us, it remained baffling despite having ~25 minutes to learn it. I just enjoyed the driving and tried not to worry about figuring out iDrive too much. :D