PDA

View Full Version : No A/C,Heat and Other Electrical Problems

Spartacus530xi
05-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Hey all, I leased my first BMW and I've had problem after problem with my climate systems. I custom ordered the car and it has 60k+ miles.

The Problem: the A/C is never cold (keeps leaking) and the heat isn't warm. The heat blows cold. My A/C is always low on refrigerant even with the dealership recharging the system every couple months. The technicians have replaced thermostats, water valves, low and high side pipes of the a/c system, the condenser, evaporators, fans, blowers, the heater core, oring gaskets - the list goes on and on. I'm wondering if the heat and a/c are related?

DT425
05-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Check if the A/C compressor belt is still in tack, if A/C is not cold them you might be low on freeon or your A/C compressor is seize up and it need to be replace.

Nube1kenobi
05-24-2010, 11:15 PM
To the OP: Have your dealership perform a diagnosis of your system using the most current software per - http://www.bmwtis.com/tiscode/cgi-bin/omcgi.exe?sie_path=server.mappath/12153.5.B640407.xml&brand=bmwtis&sie_id=12153&usersession=339785832

Spartacus530xi
05-24-2010, 11:30 PM
To the OP: Have your dealership perform a diagnosis of your system using the most current software per - http://www.bmwtis.com/tiscode/cgi-bin/omcgi.exe?sie_path=server.mappath/12153.5.B640407.xml&brand=bmwtis&sie_id=12153&usersession=339785832

They have and can't find a problem.

FYI I've been out of service over 70 days for this and other major problems, starting with an electrical nightmare trunk leak at 1000 miles.

BMW NA didn't let me out of the lease, even though this and other repairs were major enough to violate the lease if I did not have it serviced.

Could it be something else?

wallstreetblues
10-11-2013, 08:50 AM
I own a 2006 530i. driven only 10,000 KM. I have had my A/c related woes highlighted a couple of times on this forum. I was glad some very good tips came my way but didn't materially allay the problem. here's what happened just today.

I had to take my vehicle to the garage(not the dealership though) as the A/C was actually blowing hot air. The technicians did a couple of things and proposed some other.

They filled up on Freon and checked the evaporator and as a consequence I had my cooling back almost 70%.

Since the level of cooling was still wanting he expressed a fear that he suspected something wrong with the electrical system that causes the compressor to sometimes underperform resulting in lower cooling

He suggested that I change the compressor, the evaporator and one more thing I forget what that was. Can someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction if his diagnostics is correct and most importantly how do I get my arms around the electrical glitch (if at all).

I am avoiding to send it to the dealership as I've had a very bad experience in the recent past

Plus how much would these parts set me back by

Would appreciate some guidance

Regards

WSB

schpenxel
10-11-2013, 12:46 PM
What are the high/low side pressures that coincide with the temperature not being low enough?

I think they are throwing parts at it and don't really know.

wallstreetblues
10-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks Schpenxel

You came to my rescue the last time also so thanks a million for that.

So if you think they are merely throwing parts at it could you please suggest how I go about it. Could you also please dilate a little bit on what electrical glitch could possibly be the culprit? plus they also maintained that if the compressor went belly up it could it could harm the engine as it functioned off a common belt....whatever that means.

Would appreciate your usual support

WSB

schpenxel
10-11-2013, 03:58 PM
AC Compressor completely going out really could be bad--it can leave bits of metal throughout the system which is a nightmare to get cleaned out. I'd still question what kind of pressures they are seeing in the AC system--that should at least give you some indication of what is going on

Did they vacuum the system out first or just add refrigerant?

As far as the AC compressor/belt, it certainly wouldn't be a good thing for the belt to break, but you'd get so many warning dings and lights when it happened that you wouldn't keep driving long enough to hurt anything. There would be no power steering either

Anyways. I have no idea what electrical glitch it could be--I don't really think that's what it is right now