PDA

View Full Version : hand brake lock

cac3a
05-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Just notice today something about handbrake and I'm sure if this is a feature or my handbrake is bad.
When parked on a slope(front upwards) and I'll pull up the hand brake, the car stops and its all good. When I take off the handbrake the car still doesn't move until I move forward few inches. It seems as if the brake gets released when there is motion forward. I'll check tomorrow if this happens only after the engine is turned off.
is this a feature or my brake isn't working properly?

BMWFAN275
05-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Just notice today something about handbrake and I'm sure if this is a feature or my handbrake is bad.
When parked on a slope(front upwards) and I'll pull up the hand brake, the car stops and its all good. When I take off the handbrake the car still doesn't move until I move forward few inches. It seems as if the brake gets released when there is motion forward. I'll check tomorrow if this happens only after the engine is turned off.
is this a feature or my brake isn't working properly?

That's the hill holder doing its job. Note that when you are on a flat surface or pointed downhill it feels like its released. I don't believe you have a problem.