PDA

View Full Version : Which Gasoline To Use?

98bmw528
05-23-2010, 11:46 PM
I have a 2007 525i and was wondering what gasoline I should use for it? On the gas cap door it says minimum of 91. If I fill up with 87 or 89, will it harm the engine if I use a lower octane like 87/89?

What do you guys prefer or use in your cars?

mujjuman
05-24-2010, 01:10 AM
I have a 2007 525i and was wondering what gasoline I should use for it? On the gas cap door it says minimum of 91. If I fill up with 87 or 89, will it harm the engine if I use a lower octane like 87/89?

What do you guys prefer or use in your cars?

It wont harm the car, because the knock sensors will retard timing to adjust to the lower octane. However, you WILL get decreased performance and you WILL get lower mpg...
Do you REALLY want to put cheap gas in a BMW? Do you think it is reasonable to put regular gas in a premium car? Is it worth saving the $5 filling up to a full tank?

Todays pricing in Poughkeepsie, NY:

87 octane: $3.01
E46 tank capacity when light turns on: 14.5 gallons
Fill up: $43.65

93 octane: $3.19
Fill up: $46.25

Unless you are short on cash and buy gas in cash and need the extra $3 or so for toll, food, or something else, I say just make your engine happy buy the premium gas.

Just my 2 cents.

mfumbesi
05-24-2010, 02:08 AM
^^^What he said.

Elias
05-24-2010, 10:22 AM
I put Shell 93 octane in my BMW's 323i as well as my 535i, no skimping when it comes to gas, can't take that chance with my TT 535i its just not worth it. I don't want to take any chance's no matter how minimal to effect my HPFP in any adverse way.

mujjuman
05-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah, turbo cars specifically need higher octane from wht I know.

aficionado
05-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Don't use BP !!! :thumbdwn:

98bmw528
05-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the tips guys!!

tlm999
05-24-2010, 12:52 PM

Do you know what brand fuel is in your car? Not likely. Just because you purchase at a Shell or Exxon station doesn't preclude that the last truckload might have come from a BP refinery. Fuel is swapped all the time for efficiency, capacity and maintenance reasons. If you refuse to purchase from a BP station you will be hurting the station owner (not likely a BP employee) but BP will just sell their fuel to some other station.

response_surfac
05-24-2010, 01:50 PM
you guys are lucky to get 93 octane, here in cali all we get is 91....at least we can say we are saving the planet by using 91 and paying higher fuel taxes for wasted roads in the process.:rofl:

in my previous car i had to back the timing down 1 deg or it pinged badly in hot weather with 91 , it was a twin turbo though.

jesimmons
05-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah, turbo cars specifically need higher octane from wht I know.

Not necessarily... Octane needs are dependent more on the operating compression ratio of the engine.. Higher compression = higher octane needs. Turbo alone does not mean higher compression. I had a turbo engine (not BMW) that required nothing more than regular gas because the engine was relatively low compression.

mujjuman
05-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Not necessarily... Octane needs are dependent more on the operating compression ratio of the engine.. Higher compression = higher octane needs. Turbo alone does not mean higher compression. I had a turbo engine (not BMW) that required nothing more than regular gas because the engine was relatively low compression.

Wow cool, good point about the compression ratio.
The turbo VW engines (the 1.8T and the 2.0T and the 2.7TT) that I'm familiar with required 91+
The 2.5 NA engine in the 2005.5+ Jetta has a compression ratio of like 8.5:1 so it requires 87 only, and doesnt benefit from 91+
(or maybe the compresison is 9.5:1.... i forgot)

boswell
05-24-2010, 04:28 PM
93 all the way all the time.get better gas mileage!

Shokubry
05-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Actually, I think that the lower octane fuels have greater energy per unit volume. So, you should actually get better mileage for normal driving. Knock control via "octane" is only going to come into play during hard acceleration.

mujjuman
05-24-2010, 05:26 PM
I get 21hwy with 87oct and 24hwy ewith 93

jesimmons
05-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Actually, I think that the lower octane fuels have greater energy per unit volume. So, you should actually get better mileage for normal driving. Knock control via "octane" is only going to come into play during hard acceleration.

Again, a common misconception. Low and high octane have the same energy capacity (BTU per gallon). The additives that increase octane simply raise the ignition point and slow down the burn rate. In high compression engines the rapid compression of the fuel-air mix raises the temp past the flash point and it ignites (pre detonates) before the spark ignites it. Higher octane prevents the pre-detonation. If the engine management system detects pre detonation due to low octane gas, it can vary the ignition timing to reduce or eliminate it. It's the altered timing that results in lower mileage. Any unused energy in the form of unburned or partially burned combustion mix finds it's way to the catalytic converter and is burned there instead of providing power to the wheels. :(

I should say that ethanol can be used to increase octane level. Since ethanol lowers the energy content in a blended gallon of fuel, higher octane fuels can be lower in energy content. But where I live, all fuels are 10% ethanol, so I assume octane levels are adjusted using other additives.

98PoleCat
05-24-2010, 09:47 PM
If it says 91 octane minimum, I'd recommend 91 octane minimum. Seems pretty simple.

Solidjake
05-24-2010, 09:55 PM
91+

I put Shell 93 v power

mujjuman
05-24-2010, 10:15 PM
91+

I put Shell 93 v power

I put shell whenever I can. Otherwise, the best gas stations around my neck of the woods are mobil/exxon owned.

Kzang
05-25-2010, 10:17 AM
To the OP - 89 octane is fine for your 525i.

aficionado
05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Do you know what brand fuel is in your car? Not likely. Just because you purchase at a Shell or Exxon station doesn't preclude that the last truckload might have come from a BP refinery. Fuel is swapped all the time for efficiency, capacity and maintenance reasons. If you refuse to purchase from a BP station you will be hurting the station owner (not likely a BP employee) but BP will just sell their fuel to some other station.

Yep, I'm hip to BP selling gas to other companies, if you have to us them, you have to use them, if given a choice, I Wouldn't.

BP SUCKS :thumbdwn:

jpzeller
05-25-2010, 01:33 PM

OK, I'll bite.

Reasons, please?

PolkNole
05-25-2010, 02:13 PM
OK, I'll bite.

Reasons, please?

:eeps:

...something tells me this thread isn't going to end well...

:throw:

mujjuman
05-25-2010, 03:42 PM
I'd like to know as well... about BP

aficionado
05-25-2010, 07:47 PM
OK, I'll bite.

Reasons, please?

Hmmm, Oil Spill, Gulf of Mexico, oil oil everywhere.

Turn on the news...

Wow, sorry, thought everyone kind of knew about that.

mujjuman
05-25-2010, 08:23 PM

Turn on the news...

I knew about that, but just cuz they spilled some oil doesnt make their gas low quality....

aficionado
05-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I knew about that, but just cuz they spilled some oil doesnt make their gas low quality....

Sorry, thought most people would have caught that.

grateful1
05-25-2010, 09:46 PM

+1 even though I don't really care for BP. Don't know why but it's not due to any environmental issues. We all drive cars that pollute the environment anyway.

Not like anyone cares but BP is not a top tier fuel. I personally use Phillips 66 only because it is close to my house and is categorized as top tier and doesn't cost me any more than non top tier fuel.

UltimateDriving
05-25-2010, 10:56 PM
I always use 95 Octane here, on the BMW (Central America ratings, i don't know if 95 Octane here is 95 in USA, probably it is :P)
We never put lower than 95, even on our old Chevrolet! :D

Boraxo
05-27-2010, 01:05 PM
If you can afford to spend $50k for your BMW you can afford to spend an extra 20 cents per gallon for premium. At 500 gallons per year, that's an extra $100 - well worth the price to get the premium performance that you bought.

Unlike certain other car brandss high octane gas is not simply recommended (which means you are free to use cheaper gas) it is required for BMW peak performance.

Elias
05-27-2010, 01:17 PM
if you can afford to spend $50k for your bmw you can afford to spend an extra 20 cents per gallon for premium. At 500 gallons per year, that's an extra $100 - well worth the price to get the premium performance that you bought.

Unlike certain other car brandss high octane gas is not simply recommended (which means you are free to use cheaper gas) it is required for bmw peak performance.

+1

HokieXDriver
05-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Here's an interesting read (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/27/gm-recalling-select-2010-cadillac-srx-crossovers-over-engine-fai/) about what happens to some cars if you don't put required premium in them.

JerseyGeorge
05-27-2010, 09:56 PM

"Just cause they spilled SOME oil":mad: "dosen't make their gas low quality"::loco:

You have to be kidding.....right?

mujjuman
05-27-2010, 10:18 PM
"Just cause they spilled SOME oil":mad: "dosen't make their gas low quality"::loco:

You have to be kidding.....right?

Yeah Im kidding about the "some" part

JerseyGeorge
05-28-2010, 01:42 AM
Yeah Im kidding about the "some" part

Your idiotic remark has me speechless! But let me reiterate my point.....BP:thumbdwn:

grateful1
05-28-2010, 06:35 AM
Your idiotic remark has me speechless! But let me reiterate my point.....BP:thumbdwn:

I don't use BP so I don't really care one way or another but I'm not sure I understand why you believe their gas is low quality.

I always thought that 90% of the gas we consume came from the same pipe and that the only difference between gas retailers was what additives they put in their gas.

Please enlighten me with what you know that I don't know about BP gas which isn't much. Just curious.

mujjuman
05-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Wow you're a bit too passionate about hating bp man.... Geez

jpzeller
05-28-2010, 10:48 AM

Turn on the news...

Really?

From whom does one buy gasoline, then? Exxon? Shell? (I'm sure both of these companies haven't been involved in disastrous mistakes - at least not in the last month or so - as far as we know.)

WTF does the oil spill have to do with which gasoline to choose for one's car?

BLUE550
05-28-2010, 10:54 AM
We all know that BP hasn't been very responsible or reactive even after the breakout of the news.

I am thinking that what people here are saying is that let's show BP that we care about how companies run their businesses and their moral.

It's doubtful that Exxon or Shell is any better than BP, but at least they haven't made the big mess that BP has.

If I was given a choice, then I would always choose a lesser devil - which is anybody but BP at this point of time.

jpzeller
05-28-2010, 10:56 AM
We all know that BP hasn't been very responsible or reactive even after the breakout of the news.

I am thinking that what people here are saying is that let's show BP that we care about how companies run their businesses and their moral.

It's doubtful that Exxon or Shell is any better than BP, but at least they haven't made the big mess that BP has.

If I was given a choice, then I would always choose a lesser devil - which is anybody but BP at this point of time.

Exxon "haven't [sic] made the big mess BP has?"

Again, really?

BLUE550
05-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Exxon "haven't [sic] made the big mess BP has?"

Again, really?

I admit. I was wrong. Didn't realize Exxon had big spill 1980s but I was considered still young at that time and it never actually registered in my head! But from what I read, even that one was as half bad as what BP has done today, though?

PolkNole
05-28-2010, 05:01 PM
I admit. I was wrong. Didn't realize Exxon had big spill 1980s but I was considered still young at that time and it never actually registered in my head! But from what I read, even that one was as half bad as what BP has done today, though?

No - it was much worse, as it was right on the coast.

So far, the damage here has been minimal in comparison, due to the luck of the location, currents and weather, along with BP's hitting the oil at the site with chemicals.

jesimmons
05-28-2010, 07:52 PM
So far, the damage here has been minimal in comparison, due to the luck of the location, currents and weather, along with BP's hitting the oil at the site with chemicals.

Coastal and marsh damage, while heavily publicised, has been much less than I had expected, but the worst may be yet to come... And don't forget.... the unseen / unseeable damage to marine life in the gulf due to the profuse use of dispersants will be unmeasurable and possible never known directly. This has a looooooong way to play out.

Although I don't use BP gas, one could argue that if BP steps up and really tries to pay for the cleanup and compensate injured parties over the longer haul, they will need all the $$ they can get or this just might put their existence in jeopardy. If BP were to declare bankruptcy (not saying they will at all... but just hypothesizing), nobody wins. :(

mujjuman
05-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Coastal and marsh damage, while heavily publicised, has been much less than I had expected, but the worst may be yet to come... And don't forget.... the unseen / unseeable damage to marine life in the gulf due to the profuse use of dispersants will be unmeasurable and possible never known directly. This has a looooooong way to play out.

Although I don't use BP gas, one could argue that if BP steps up and really tries to pay for the cleanup and compensate injured parties over the longer haul, they will need all the $$ they can get or this just might put their existence in jeopardy. If BP were to declare bankruptcy (not saying they will at all... but just hypothesizing), nobody wins. :(

took the words right out of my mouth... i was afraid to say it out of fear of being flamed...
the worst is definitely yet to come... we will remember today as "yeah it wasnt that bad back then"
i was thinkng the same thing... bp NEEDS money right now in order to help clear this mess up. even if u dont support bp or w/e, we definitely need to do w/e we can to clean up this mess.

ajaiello
05-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Go with premium, better performance and better gas milage easily makes up for the price difference:D

mikeglenn
05-29-2010, 12:18 PM

Please take a look at BP's financial data before speculating on whether it has the resources for clean-up and the potential for insolvency. As of the end of 2009, BP had more than $8 billion in cash. Its 2009 assets exceeded its liabilities by more than $100 billion. During each of the past 4 years, BP generated net cash from operating activities in excess of $24 billion per year. BP could spend $5 billion per year on clean-up for each of the next ten years without risking bankruptcy. http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/BP/financials/cash-flow

Admittedly, the BP shareholders will not be happy with the company spending billions on clean-up and current BP management may suffer the consequences (which some deserve in my opinion), but speculating on insolvency at this time has no basis in reality. BP's current market capitalization is >$130 billion. The BP market cap is down about 30% or $55 billion arguably due to the oil release. The current price of BP stock and the market cap already reflect the impact of clean-up on BP. Some analysts now think BP stock may present a buying opportunity. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bp-upped-to-outperform-by-oppenheimer-2010-05-27

Do I think this gulf oil release is an environmental disaster and that BP and others should have done more to avoid it and been better prepared for the worst case and be held responsible for clean-up? Absolutely. Does this impact my choice of gasoline? No.

I use Shell premium gas in my BMW whenever possible. My choice is based on the fact Shell is a top tier gas that BMW recommends and BP is not. http://www.toptiergas.com/ Also, I receive a 5% discount when using my Shell credit card.

If environmental concerns drove my decisions, I would not be debating which gas to use in my BMW and would not travel by a high performance car or by plane. I would use public transportation or my bicycle, would live in a minimalist home and would become a vegan.

Lummer535i
05-30-2010, 08:01 AM
I don't use BP so I don't really care one way or another but I'm not sure I understand why you believe their gas is low quality.

I always thought that 90% of the gas we consume came from the same pipe and that the only difference between gas retailers was what additives they put in their gas.

Please enlighten me with what you know that I don't know about BP gas which isn't much. Just curious.

Grateful1,

I agree that the point you are making is that the differences between the major gas retailers is not very large. I also believe that as BMW owners, we care about the small differences that will optimize the performance and engine life of our vehicles and therefore choose to use Top Tier fuels.

I cannot confirm that the source of the petroleum we use is 90% common to every refinery as there are many sources of crude oil.

The refinery distributes its refined gasoline with its own proprietary additives to stations carrying their banner. The same refinery may also offer refined product to competitors like Costco that use generic additives and they may also supply refined gasoline to competitive gasoline retailers using additives provided by the competitor (based on a quid pro quo arrangement in another geographic region where the refinery owner may not have refining capacity).

Cheers!

grateful1
05-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I also believe that as BMW owners, we care about the small differences that will optimize the performance and engine life of our vehicles and therefore choose to use Top Tier fuels.

+1

That is why I use a top tier branded fuel as well.

The same refinery may also offer refined product to competitors like Costco that use generic additives and they may also supply refined gasoline to competitive gasoline retailers using additives provided by the competitor (based on a quid pro quo arrangement in another geographic region where the refinery owner may not have refining capacity).

I agree. I was at a Costco gas station filling up my wife's car and asked the attendant who they got their gas from. He indicated BP.

aficionado
05-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Exxon Valdez was a ship/captian that ran a ground, busting the ship and spilling the oil.

I don't think you can compare that to people drilling a hole in the bottom of the Gulf, releasing all this oil, with absolutely no way of stopping it, if something was to go wrong.

It's like an experiment gone bad.

Are these people the stupidest people in the world or what ? :confused: Who drills a hole in the bottom of the Gulf/Ocean, one mile down, with NO WAY to cap it....

Dirk0
05-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Exxon Valdez was a ship/captian that ran a ground, busting the ship and spilling the oil.

I don't think you can compare that to people drilling a hole in the bottom of the Gulf, releasing all this oil, with absolutely no way of stopping it, if something was to go wrong.

Are these people the stupidest people in the world or what ? :confused: Who drills a hole in the bottom of the Gulf/Ocean, one mile down, with NO WAY to cap it....

Every Offshore Exploration company has the ability to cap wells. The real tragedy? What about the men who lost their lives? This was an EXPLOSION. Regardless if this was inland or in the middle of the ocean, there is no easy way to cap a well that is out of control. Too bad Red Adair isn't around to explain this. I am not defending BP. I'm sure that they will take a huge hit on this, just like Exxon did. I believe the point of the thread was dealing with "octane rating" not "where to buy".

And to the OP:

As others have said, just use 91+ whenever possible. You can go lower if needed, but try to use 91+.

JerseyGeorge
06-01-2010, 12:25 AM

It's not about the quality of there gas dude it's the fiasco going on in the Gulf:mad: You do know that there is a disaster going on in the Gulf Of Mexico with a BP owned oil drilling rig that is spewing oil that has surpassed the Exxon Valdez disaster. Jeez, you probably have no clue what Exxon Valdez was:( If you and Mujj can't figure out my point then we have nothing to discuss further!

jesimmons
06-01-2010, 07:54 AM
You do know that there is a disaster going on in the Gulf Of Mexico with a BP owned oil drilling rig that is spewing oil that has surpassed the Exxon Valdez disaster. Jeez, you probably have no clue what Exxon Valdez was:( If you and Mujj can't figure out my point then we have nothing to discuss further!

I believe the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig was actually owned by Transocean, not BP. BP simply contracted with Transocean to rent the rig. So BP was calling the shots and had ultimate responsibility for the operation, but it was Transocean and Haliburton that were actually doing the drilling operation. I know its a nit-pick.... but it may make some difference when the legal battles start to heat up.

Ultimately, though..... its BP's well thats gushing oil into the gulf.

JerseyGeorge
06-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I believe the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig was actually owned by Transocean, not BP. BP simply contracted with Transocean to rent the rig. So BP was calling the shots and had ultimate responsibility for the operation, but it was Transocean and Haliburton that were actually doing the drilling operation. I know its a nit-pick.... but it may make some difference when the legal battles start to heat up.

Ultimately, though..... its BP's well thats gushing oil into the gulf.

You're absolutely correct and it's not nit picking but ultimately the buck stops with BP! If there CEO wasn't trying to white wash this disaster and continually down playing the present and future dangers I would ease up on them!

grateful1
06-01-2010, 07:55 PM
It's not about the quality of there gas dude it's the fiasco going on in the Gulf:mad: You do know that there is a disaster going on in the Gulf Of Mexico with a BP owned oil drilling rig that is spewing oil that has surpassed the Exxon Valdez disaster. Jeez, you probably have no clue what Exxon Valdez was:( If you and Mujj can't figure out my point then we have nothing to discuss further!

Georgie, I am well aware of what is currently going on in the world and have never made a claim stating that BP was a company that anyone should be backing. My original statement was simply that the quality of their oil was no less good or bad in comparison to other gas companies pre and post spill. I completely understand where you are coming from and fully agree that BP are imbeciles to say the least.

Also, I distinctly remember the Exxon Valdez debacle. How old do you think I am?

Let's recap:

Your point = BP is stupid, retarded and what they have done is unexcusable

My point = BP puts out quality fuel both before and after the debacle

Observation = we are both making two totally different points

To your point, it's not about the quality of the gas. However, my point was about the quality of their gas but was not intended to be stated to diminish the magnitude of what has happened in the gulf.

I'm not sure there is anyone that has any common sense, regardless of how up to date they are with current events who would remotely state that what has happened is not a travesty and a disgrace. Please don't take my comments out of context.

BMWFAN275
06-01-2010, 09:41 PM

First, let me say that I am really saddened by this oil release, and that some of the decisions made may have led the well to blowout and to the deaths of eleven men.

However, they are not stupid, and we should all just ponder for a moment why the heck they need to drill in over 5,000 feet of water and then drill down another 18,000 feet. And by the way, they do this all the time now. Well, there just ain't much oil located in easy to reach places. And without that oil, our gorgeous machines would just be useless piles of beautiful junk. Lets accept the risk, let them clean up the mess and work out the repair technology which no doubt will improve after this incident. Lets face it, we need the oil and its just not sitting behind our houses.

JerseyGeorge
06-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Georgie, I am well aware of what is currently going on in the world and have never made a claim stating that BP was a company that anyone should be backing. My original statement was simply that the quality of their oil was no less good or bad in comparison to other gas companies pre and post spill. I completely understand where you are coming from and fully agree that BP are imbeciles to say the least.

Also, I distinctly remember the Exxon Valdez debacle. How old do you think I am?

Let's recap:

Your point = BP is stupid, retarded and what they have done is unexcusable

My point = BP puts out quality fuel both before and after the debacle

Observation = we are both making two totally different points

To your point, it's not about the quality of the gas. However, my point was about the quality of their gas but was not intended to be stated to diminish the magnitude of what has happened in the gulf.

I'm not sure there is anyone that has any common sense, regardless of how up to date they are with current events who would remotely state that what has happened is not a travesty and a disgrace. Please don't take my comments out of context.

Okay, they make good gas so everyone go out and purchase BP fuel and reward the Eco Terrorist:thumbup: My bad!

jesimmons
06-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Well, there just ain't much oil located in easy to reach places. And without that oil, our gorgeous machines would just be useless piles of beautiful junk.

True to some degree.... But, there's plenty of oil in easy to reach places in the US.... on land. It's just off limits to exploration drilling and development for "environmental" and political reasons. The spread and cleanup of an oil leak on land is, in comparison to whats happening now, much more containable and more easily stopped. I bet that if the current BP leak had occurred on land and been flowing for 40+ days, the cleanup would affect a handful of square miles at most... What were faced with in the gulf is a cleanup of many many thousands of square miles. We'll see if this gulf disaster causes anyone to rethink policy.

grateful1
06-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Okay, they make good gas so everyone go out and purchase BP fuel and reward the Eco Terrorist:thumbup: My bad!

Are you for real? Get your head out of your ass and read my posts. Why don't you start your own thread and talk about how much you hate BP. This isn't a pissing match. And even if it was, you wouldn't win. Do you know why? Because we both are contending two completely different points. Take off the blinders dude. You have tunnel vision right now.

Let me repeat what I have previously already stated. The quality of BPs gas is no reflection of their actions in the gulf. Period. It is up the consumer if they want to boycott BP and not buy their gas. It is pretty evident based on their stock prices over the past few days that the public and the market do not hold BP in a favorable light. I've never really cared for BP and yes this latest instance has made me care for them even less. I've never contended that we should be "rewarding the Eco Terroists" but again you can continue to take my comments out of context to fuel your already existing rage in regards to this topic. What's crazy is that I've already stated that I agree with you. I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. But if you want to keep talking about this then I'm down. It's still not going to change the fact that I agree with you that BP are idiots and that you are going to turn what I am saying about BP producing quality gas somehow back into the fact that BP are idiots.

E92-Lighting
06-02-2010, 01:00 PM
only use the highest octane

BMWFAN275
06-02-2010, 08:46 PM
True to some degree.... But, there's plenty of oil in easy to reach places in the US.... on land. It's just off limits to exploration drilling and development for "environmental" and political reasons. The spread and cleanup of an oil leak on land is, in comparison to whats happening now, much more containable and more easily stopped. I bet that if the current BP leak had occurred on land and been flowing for 40+ days, the cleanup would affect a handful of square miles at most... What were faced with in the gulf is a cleanup of many many thousands of square miles. We'll see if this gulf disaster causes anyone to rethink policy.

It is certainly easier to contain, even stop a leak on land. Unfortunately, finding large oil reserviors on land is becoming increasingly rare. If we still want to drive, fly and continue to enjoy our lifestle, get used to the fact that we need to explore offshore. I don't think the US Gov't is going to pass any laws or regulations that is going to make another accident less likely.

mujjuman
06-02-2010, 10:14 PM
It is certainly easier to contain, even stop a leak on land. Unfortunately, finding large oil reserviors on land is becoming increasingly rare. If we still want to drive, fly and continue to enjoy our lifestle, get used to the fact that we need to explore offshore. I don't think the US Gov't is going to pass any laws or regulations that is going to make another accident less likely.

exactly.. we will continue to need more and more oil... certainly everyone on this board will have to agree and support drilling for more oil given that our cars arent exactly built for gas mileage (well, not including the newer diesels etc)
i plan to buy even bigger cars with bigger engines and more of a thirst for fuel (M5 V10) so i support more drilling.
but not spilling.

aficionado
06-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Per the BMW Manual:

"should you encounter drivability problems wich you suspect could be related to the fuel you are using, we recommend that you respond by switching to a recognized high-quality brand such as gasoline that is advertised as TOP Tier Detergent Gasoline."

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Road Ranger
CountryMark
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

I DON'T see BP on the list. Thus BP is a LOW quality fuel.

These are just the facts.

mujjuman
06-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Wish they had mobil on that list.

grateful1
06-03-2010, 12:03 PM

I have to disagree with your reasoning in terms of why you have detemined BP as producing low quality fuel. Top Tier fuels are designated as such due to meeting certain standards specifically related to the additives and cleaners they put in their fuel. In addition, gas retailers need to pay a fee to receive a designation to even be deemed as Top Tier. At one point in time, many of the retailers on the Top Tier list weren't considered Top Tier fuel because they didn't pay the fee and/or their fuel really didn't meet the criteria to be deemed Top Tier.

So THE FACT as you have claimed is not a fact at all. The term "Top Tier" wants to denote that it is above the rest but it is simply a designation. Mind you, a designation that you need to pay for. So just because BP didn't pay for the designation doesn't mean that they don't produce high quality fuel. If BP was deemed a Top Tier fuel tommorrow would it change your opinion of using their gas in your car? Mobil isn't deemed a Top Tier fuel but they are one of the largest providers of gas in the nation. Based on your understanding of Top Tier fuel I guess Mobil produces inferior gas. Or maybe it's perhaps they don't need a designation to help them market and sell their gas.

The other requirement of deeming gas as being Top Tier is based on the amount of additives and cleaners. In my opinion, most car makers such as BMW recommend Top Tier fuels because they value the cleaners in the fuel so that the engine, sensors, etc. will remain cleaner. Even though I do think that good quality fuel is a must, let's be real, the gas that we put in our cars comes from the same pipe. The difference between retailers is what additives they put into their fuel.

Furthermore, I'm not sure anyone ever stated that BP produced high quality fuel with or without additives. I believe what I stated was that the latest spill most likely didn't degrade the quality of the fuel BP is selling at their stations. And again to be clear, I'm not condoning what happened in the gulf or am promoting anyone to buy gas from BP.

I for one only use Top Tier fuel in my bimmer. My wife used to fill her car up at Costco until we found out that BP was their supplier.

BMWFAN275
06-03-2010, 12:16 PM
exactly.. we will continue to need more and more oil... certainly everyone on this board will have to agree and support drilling for more oil given that our cars arent exactly built for gas mileage (well, not including the newer diesels etc)
i plan to buy even bigger cars with bigger engines and more of a thirst for fuel (M5 V10) so i support more drilling.
but not spilling.

Next time you are in traffic, look around at the cars. I see so few that are fuel saving in nature. We're all quite happy to feed our beasts at $3/gal or more. We owned a 2009 Corolla for one year, dumped it. No one would use it. Traded it for an A4 Cabriolet Quattro that gets 15mpg city. Saving gas is always someone else's mission. Lets face it, we hate crappy cars, and we are going to drive what we want until the pump runs dry.

aficionado
06-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I have to disagree with your reasoning in terms of why you have detemined BP as producing low quality fuel. Top Tier fuels are designated as such due to meeting certain standards specifically related to the additives and cleaners they put in their fuel. In addition, gas retailers need to pay a fee to receive a designation to even be deemed as Top Tier. At one point in time, many of the retailers on the Top Tier list weren't considered Top Tier fuel because they didn't pay the fee and/or their fuel really didn't meet the criteria to be deemed Top Tier.

So THE FACT as you have claimed is not a fact at all. The term "Top Tier" wants to denote that it is above the rest but it is simply a designation. Mind you, a designation that you need to pay for. So just because BP didn't pay for the designation doesn't mean that they don't produce high quality fuel. If BP was deemed a Top Tier fuel tommorrow would it change your opinion of using their gas in your car? Mobil isn't deemed a Top Tier fuel but they are one of the largest providers of gas in the nation. Based on your understanding of Top Tier fuel I guess Mobil produces inferior gas. Or maybe it's perhaps they don't need a designation to help them market and sell their gas.

The other requirement of deeming gas as being Top Tier is based on the amount of additives and cleaners. In my opinion, most car makers such as BMW recommend Top Tier fuels because they value the cleaners in the fuel so that the engine, sensors, etc. will remain cleaner. Even though I do think that good quality fuel is a must, let's be real, the gas that we put in our cars comes from the same pipe. The difference between retailers is what additives they put into their fuel.

Furthermore, I'm not sure anyone ever stated that BP produced high quality fuel with or without additives. I believe what I stated was that the latest spill most likely didn't degrade the quality of the fuel BP is selling at their stations. And again to be clear, I'm not condoning what happened in the gulf or am promoting anyone to buy gas from BP.

I for one only use Top Tier fuel in my bimmer. My wife used to fill her car up at Costco until we found out that BP was their supplier.

I used to use Mobil all the time in my Corvette. There was a problem with the gas gauge, it would show Full, then empty, then half, it did this all the time, the corvette forum people suggested changing gas....

I switched to Chevron and the problem NEVER occurred again.

I switched from a NON Top Tier to a Top Tier gas and it made a difference.

I don't and wouldn't use Mobil.

Maybe BP just doesn't measure up or they are just to cheap to pay, who knows, all I know is BMW say use Top Tier and that is what I use. If BP was on the list, I still wouldn't use them, but they would have been on the list I posted.

grateful1
06-03-2010, 07:51 PM
I used to use Mobil all the time in my Corvette. There was a problem with the gas gauge, it would show Full, then empty, then half, it did this all the time, the corvette forum people suggested changing gas....

Maybe BP just doesn't measure up or they are just to cheap to pay, who knows, all I know is BMW say use Top Tier and that is what I use. If BP was on the list, I still wouldn't use them, but they would have been on the list I posted.

I have read that certain models and makes perform and/or run better on different gas retailers. I also think that Ford exclusively recommends using BP. Not that any of this matters but I did find this point interesting as I've never heard of any other car manufacturer recommending a specific brand of gas. Perhaps there are others.

We don't have Chevron/Texaco in the Chicago land area so can't vouch for it but I have always heard very positive remarks about Chevron gas.

mikeglenn
06-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Car and Driver had an interesting column on the potential benefits of Top Tier fuels. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/05q3/your_car_is_a_temple_so_put_in_the_good_stuff.-column

Here is another comment that I found instructive posted at: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25861567&sort=whole
"When gasoline is shipped from the Gulf Coast refineries it's shipped in huge "batches" through the "finished product" interstate pipelines. Valero, Shell, Exxon, Marathon, all make their products to an industry standard in three octanes levels and they own and use the pipeline. Refiner "A"'s product is stored in the same tanks, in transit, as refiner "B","C","D" and "E". It's called "house brand" XX octane.

When it gets delivered to a breakout delivery tank farm the individual refiner mixes in the additives, detergents, color, etc. Then it becomes an individualized product XXXXX's Super Blue 93 octane or YYYYY's Wonder Blend 87 octane. The name refiners use the same product only the additives, color and name differentiates one from the other.

Between huge batches on the pipeline, in between, say, 87 octane house brand and 93 octane house brand a slug of water separates the two products. Very little of the water gets into the product in the batches, this is just pure physics. At transit points there are product/water separators. The separated mix is put into a transmix tank and sold off to companies that re-refine it and sell the result. The same technology applies to oil products, jet fuel, heating oil, diesel, kerosene.

Name refiners and name retailers do not sell inferior products. Some refiners provide exactly the same product to their stations and the rival volume station at the shopping center three hundred yards down the road. The only difference is a few cents a gallon and the "brand" credit card.

I drive a luxury SUV with a sophisticated multi-cam, multi-valve engine, I buy gas at the volume station at the shopping center and if I drive out of the area, I buy at the refiner's station or another name brand. I won't risk an expensive engine repair to save 4 cents a gallon.

It's my money and my investment and that why I'm a longtime participant at the Motley Fool.

MrStockman
retired automation tech
for the world's largest
petroleum pipeline."

jesimmons
06-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Excellent description of the gas distribution pipeline. As stated, the refined base product is pretty much a commodity... Each brand differentiates itself by the additives it blends into the base before delivering it to the retailer. Also, there may be different levels of quality control in the actual physical distribution / delivery to the retailer.

Here in Northern VA, most of our gasoline comes through the Colonial Pipeline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Pipeline)that originates in the Gulf and comes up the east coast. There's a pipeline distribution point with a huge tank farm in Fairfax VA (Not far from me) where just about all brand tanker trucks pull in and load up day and night - from the el cheapo no-names to the high end brands.

mujjuman
06-04-2010, 11:19 PM
there are certain gas stations here in the Albany area in upstate new york... they are call "stewart's"..... they are a no-name brand gas station here and they get their gas from mobil.
i know this statement may seem as unrelated... but what if mobil's source is a bp line? or shell or chevron for example? they may just add certain chemicals and slap their name on it.

todd92
06-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Per the BMW Manual:

"should you encounter drivability problems wich you suspect could be related to the fuel you are using, we recommend that you respond by switching to a recognized high-quality brand such as gasoline that is advertised as TOP Tier Detergent Gasoline."

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Road Ranger
CountryMark
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

Top Tier is nothing more than a marketing program. Sign up, pay the fee and meet the minimal requirements and you're Top Tier. A good part of the list is C-Store chains that don't make gasoline and use the same generic additive packages. Look at the names that choose not to play the game. BP, Citgo, Exxon, Gulf, Hess, Irving, Koch, Lukoil, Marathon, Mobil, Murphy, Sinclair, Sunoco, Valero.

Anecdotal.

I have read that certain models and makes perform and/or run better on different gas retailers. I also think that Ford exclusively recommends using BP. Not that any of this matters but I did find this point interesting as I've never heard of any other car manufacturer recommending a specific brand of gas. Perhaps there are others.

We don't have Chevron/Texaco in the Chicago land area so can't vouch for it but I have always heard very positive remarks about Chevron gas.

If an auto manufacturer recommends a brand of gas or oil, it is solely due to a marketing agreement.

Car and Driver had an interesting column on the potential benefits of Top Tier fuels. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/05q3/your_car_is_a_temple_so_put_in_the_good_stuff.-column

Here is another comment that I found instructive posted at: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25861567&sort=whole
"When gasoline is shipped from the Gulf Coast refineries it's shipped in huge "batches" through the "finished product" interstate pipelines. Valero, Shell, Exxon, Marathon, all make their products to an industry standard in three (no, two, regular and premium, midgrade is blended into the truck at the terminal by mixing regular and premium) octanes levels and they own and use the pipeline. Refiner "A"'s product is stored in the same tanks, in transit, as refiner "B","C","D" and "E". It's called "house brand" (no, it's called fungible product) XX octane.

When it gets delivered to a breakout delivery tank farm the individual refiner mixes in the additives, detergents, color, (no, nothing is added at breakout tankage or at the distribution terminal, the additive package is injected into the product as it is loaded on the truck for delivery to the station and there is no dye added) etc. Then it becomes an individualized product XXXXX's Super Blue 93 octane or YYYYY's Wonder Blend 87 octane. The name refiners use the same product only the additives, color and name differentiates one from the other.

Between huge batches on the pipeline, in between, say, 87 octane house brand and 93 octane house brand a slug of water separates the two products (no, there is no water used as an interface, ever. the different grades actually touch each other and the interface is cut into the lower grade product). Very little of the water gets into the product in the batches, this is just pure physics. At transit points there are product/water separators. The separated mix is put into a transmix tank and sold off to companies that re-refine it and sell the result. The same technology applies to oil products, jet fuel, heating oil, diesel, kerosene.

Name refiners and name retailers do not sell inferior products. Some refiners provide exactly the same product to their stations and the rival volume station at the shopping center three hundred yards down the road. The only difference is a few cents a gallon and the "brand" credit card.

I drive a luxury SUV with a sophisticated multi-cam, multi-valve engine, I buy gas at the volume station at the shopping center and if I drive out of the area, I buy at the refiner's station or another name brand. I won't risk an expensive engine repair to save 4 cents a gallon.

It's my money and my investment and that why I'm a longtime participant at the Motley Fool.

MrStockman
retired automation tech
for the world's largest
petroleum pipeline."

You may have worked for Colonial Pipeline, and you may be a whiz at automation, but you didn't learn much about how the product is transported while you were there.

there are certain gas stations here in the Albany area in upstate new york... they are call "stewart's"..... they are a no-name brand gas station here and they get their gas from mobil.
i know this statement may seem as unrelated... but what if mobil's source is a bp line? or shell or chevron for example? they may just add certain chemicals and slap their name on it.

The ONLY thing that differentiates gasoline is the additive package and the sign on the station.

bluebee
06-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Do you think it is reasonable to put regular gas in a premium car?

I ran across this thread researching the dozen liquids in an E39 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5237138&postcount=1), one of which is fuel.

The assumption that bothers me is that "premium" cars need "premium" gas. That's not true at all. The word "premium" is wholly misleading when it is applied to gasolines - and it was always intended to be so - by the marketing people who market fuels. Anyone who makes this assumption is falling prey to the advertising (although technically, premium fuels of 91AKI are what you need to associate with the BMW - but for octane reasons, not marketing reasons).

Lower octane gas is not worse than higher octane gas; it simply burns differently. Likewise, higher-octane fuel is not better than lower-octane fuel; again, it just burns differently. (Note: The detergent & additive package is so highly variable and independent of octane rating and marketing hype that I'm only discussing the anti-knock qualities of the fuel here).

Of course you should put the fuel the engine manufacturer recommends (which for my E39 is 91AKI). Anything higher is a total waste of money and anything lower will retard the timing under load if detonation is felt by the piezoelectric knock sensors.

But associating "premium" gas with "premium" cars is merely exactly what the marketing folks want you to do (on both sides).

mujjuman
06-06-2010, 12:57 AM
I ran across this thread researching the dozen liquids in an E39 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5237138&postcount=1), one of which is fuel.

The assumption that bothers me is that "premium" cars need "premium" gas. That's not true at all. The word "premium" is wholly misleading when it is applied to gasolines - and it was always intended to be so - by the marketing people who market fuels. Anyone who makes this assumption is falling prey to the advertising (although technically, premium fuels of 91AKI are what you need to associate with the BMW - but for octane reasons, not marketing reasons).

Lower octane gas is not worse than higher octane gas; it simply burns differently. Likewise, higher-octane fuel is not better than lower-octane fuel; again, it just burns differently. (Note: The detergent & additive package is so highly variable and independent of octane rating and marketing hype that I'm only discussing the anti-knock qualities of the fuel here).

Of course you should put the fuel the engine manufacturer recommends (which for my E39 is 91AKI). Anything higher is a total waste of money and anything lower will retard the timing under load if detonation is felt by the piezoelectric knock sensors.

But associating "premium" gas with "premium" cars is merely exactly what the marketing folks want you to do (on both sides).

bluebee, I <3 you and I understand what you mean, and I agree with you as well for the most part.
I'll be honest, I have put 87 in my BMW many times before... as well as other cars that "recommend" 91.
My whole mindset the day I made that comment was very different... I was in a very very bad mood at the time, because I was seeing so many nice E39s and E46s, even prefacelift E90s and E60s get treated like crappy beaters by their new owners. Seeing E30s and E36s on the road that dont even look like BMWs anymore, and are beat to death. Seeing E34s and E38s that look like they belong in the car graveyard rather than on the road... I felt as if the "prestige" of those cars was being diminished because of the way those cars were getting treated by people... for example, improperly "fixing" a car when something is wrong, etc... made me want to scream haha. I especially hated and was specifically thinking about when owners spend premium money to buy a premium car like a BMW or Mercedes or Audi Lexus etc and skimp out on repairs and maintenance for the sole reason of "saving money"... I hope you understand what I mean. My reasoning at the time was, "if you want to put 87 octane in your BMW just to save money, then you bought the wrong car" mostly because I was angry at the "money saving techniques" some BMW owners have. Dont get me wrong, I'm all for saving money, but not at the expense of my car's well-being, haha. And if 93 octane will make my car run faster and more efficient, then I will run that.
Ok I feel as if I realllllllly diverted from the original topic of this thread, and even the NEW topic of the thread (which itself was off-topic) so I shall stop typing haha.
(btw I apologize for any offensive remarks to anyone, that was not my intention and i apologize for any retarded statements... I am not currently in the right state of mind if you know what I mean ;) )

Btw you are 100% correct in your statements, and the fact that the marketing people want you to believe "premium gas ONLY in premium car"

todd92
06-06-2010, 04:10 AM

bluebee, I <3 you and I understand what you mean, and I agree with you as well for the most part.
I'll be honest, I have put 87 in my BMW many times before... as well as other cars that "recommend" 91.
My whole mindset the day I made that comment was very different... I was in a very very bad mood at the time, because I was seeing so many nice E39s and E46s, even prefacelift E90s and E60s get treated like crappy beaters by their new owners. Seeing E30s and E36s on the road that dont even look like BMWs anymore, and are beat to death. Seeing E34s and E38s that look like they belong in the car graveyard rather than on the road... I felt as if the "prestige" of those cars was being diminished because of the way those cars were getting treated by people... for example, improperly "fixing" a car when something is wrong, etc... made me want to scream haha. I especially hated and was specifically thinking about when owners spend premium money to buy a premium car like a BMW or Mercedes or Audi Lexus etc and skimp out on repairs and maintenance for the sole reason of "saving money"... I hope you understand what I mean. My reasoning at the time was, "if you want to put 87 octane in your BMW just to save money, then you bought the wrong car" mostly because I was angry at the "money saving techniques" some BMW owners have. Dont get me wrong, I'm all for saving money, but not at the expense of my car's well-being, haha. And if 93 octane will make my car run faster and more efficient, then I will run that.
Ok I feel as if I realllllllly diverted from the original topic of this thread, and even the NEW topic of the thread (which itself was off-topic) so I shall stop typing haha.
(btw I apologize for any offensive remarks to anyone, that was not my intention and i apologize for any retarded statements... I am not currently in the right state of mind if you know what I mean ;) )

Btw you are 100% correct in your statements, and the fact that the marketing people want you to believe "premium gas ONLY in premium car"

Almost true. Most cars that recommend premium will run fine on regular. You may feel lower performance and you may get lower mileage, depending on the car and how you drive. Turbo motors get into the knock zone more often on regular, so are more susceptible to displaying this effect.

However, there are cars that require premium. My Nissan GT-R is an example. My Nissan Titan (with an aggressive UpRev engine map) is another. How can you tell? RTFM, of course. Cars that can run on regular will say so. Cars that cannot will say so. DUH.

mujjuman
06-06-2010, 04:14 AM
RTFM lol. thats true. I just filled up gas in my Jetta VR6 and the gas flap says "91 AKI minimum" or something..... I think that means 87 octane minimum. Next time I fill the E46 I'll check what it says. Too lazy to take my manual out (its in teh car)

mujjuman
06-06-2010, 04:20 AM
Oh btw who uses Castrol oil in their engines? Guess what, bp owns castrol

(personally I use mobil1)

grateful1
06-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Oh btw who uses Castrol oil in their engines? Guess what, bp owns castrol

(personally I use mobil1)

Really? That's interesting, I didn't know that.

There have been claims stating that the factory BMW motor oil that came in all of our cars is really nothing more than German Castrol. My assumption is that the oil that bimmer dealerships sell here in the states is also the same.

04fivethirtyeye
06-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Wow cool, good point about the compression ratio.
The turbo VW engines (the 1.8T and the 2.0T and the 2.7TT) that I'm familiar with required 91+
The 2.5 NA engine in the 2005.5+ Jetta has a compression ratio of like 8.5:1 so it requires 87 only, and doesnt benefit from 91+
(or maybe the compresison is 9.5:1.... i forgot)

Actually, the compression of the motor does not determine the octane of the gasoline needed. It is actually cylinder pressure that determines octane needed. 9.5:1 compession is not that high for a high-performance engine, however the fact that it is boosted increases the cylinder pressure. Boosting a motor does not raise compression, it raises cylinder pressure.

A 9.5:1 Naturally aspirated motor would run fine without pre-detonation on 86/87 octane.

If you boost that motor it would then need higher octane to avoid pre-detonation because of the raised cylinder pressure.

However, an 11.5:1 C/R naturally aspirated engine, for example, would required higher octane because higher C/R does mean higher cylinder pressures.

Nitrous & Superchargers also have the same effect obviously.

mujjuman
06-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Ah yes, thanks. I overlooked that.