PDA

View Full Version : I-Drive Overheating

fbass30
05-24-2010, 04:07 AM
Hi All
Has anyone had issues with what seems to be the i-drive overheating. This first happend to me last summer and it seems once it gets to about 22c outside the i-drive starts to intermittently cut out or lock up. Most annoying as even if you turn the whole unit off it will turn itself back on again.

It was first detected a month after BMW warranty was out and there advice has been to change the until at a cost of over 2k!

I didn't know if this was a know fault with a fix or if it is possible to take the unit out yourself and check fans are working etc.

Any advice most welcome as it is putting a real downer on this weather.

Thanks

jeffbtx
05-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Hi All
Has anyone had issues with what seems to be the i-drive overheating. This first happend to me last summer and it seems once it gets to about 22c outside the i-drive starts to intermittently cut out or lock up. Most annoying as even if you turn the whole unit off it will turn itself back on again.

It was first detected a month after BMW warranty was out and there advice has been to change the until at a cost of over 2k!

I didn't know if this was a know fault with a fix or if it is possible to take the unit out yourself and check fans are working etc.

Any advice most welcome as it is putting a real downer on this weather.

Thanks

Regularly above 30 here in Texas from May to September - no problems with my 08 M5 iDrive.

fantomex
06-06-2011, 04:44 AM
I have very similar problem. If you get into car early in the morning, everything is fine until a hour or so... then iDrive starts to freeze/unfreeze, lag, sound is choppy from all devices. In more hot conditions/use of AC this problem appears in 30minutes.

I remember same thing happens when PCs is overheated and the easiest solution is to improve cooling by either adding/replacing fan or passive cooler. Also the thermal paste could help a lot. There's a fan next to the iDrive system. Anyone has faced similar problem?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EH13&mospid=48813&btnr=65_1453&hg=65&fg=45