PDA

View Full Version : 100 octane, good ro bad for engine?

DTC-OFF
05-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Hey guys, might sound like a stupid question, but can i put 100 octane in my engine? im assuming there will be a big performance increase, am i right? and also, are there any negative affects to this?:dunno:

PolkNole
05-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Yes, you can. But the average engine will see virtually zero difference in performance. And that gas goes for over $7 a gallon!

The difference is noticable only in high boost engines. That's where a JB3-type boost increaser comes into play. A high boost setting and a high octane level and zing - increased performance!

RambleJ
05-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Yes, you can. But the average engine will see virtually zero difference in performance. And that gas goes for over $7 a gallon!

The difference is noticable only in high boost engines. That's where a JB3-type boost increaser comes into play. A high boost setting and a high octane level and zing - increased performance!

Exactly! If you are stock, its a waste of money. But if your running a tune, you will see significant gains from higher octane fuels.

DTC-OFF
05-24-2010, 11:55 AM
yeah, but i think i heard that the JB3 recommends a Map 3 setting, and anything higher is at risk for shooting a code. is this true Polk, and if so, how much of a difference does map 3 make?

PolkNole
05-24-2010, 12:02 PM
yeah, but i think i heard that the JB3 recommends a Map 3 setting, and anything higher is at risk for shooting a code. is this true Polk, and if so, how much of a difference does map 3 make?

Yeah, that's true. But I use Map 5 as my daily driving setting - I will throw codes only if I'm pushing the heck out of it - my last Sebring trip for example. I would STRONGLY recommend getting the BT Cable - with that, code reading (and clearing) is a snap. They have a combo package for sale.

Map 3 is immediately noticable. I'd say its akin to switching from a 528 to a 535. But if you use 100 octane, go to at least map 5 or higher or not much diference. Now you're into E39 M5 territory!

DTC-OFF
05-24-2010, 12:06 PM
wait a minute...theorhetically speaking, if i throw a code and that damages the engine in some way, if i clear the code and remove the JB3, will there be any way that BMW can not fix the problem under warranty?

PolkNole
05-24-2010, 12:16 PM
wait a minute...theorhetically speaking, if i throw a code and that damages the engine in some way, if i clear the code and remove the JB3, will there be any way that BMW can not fix the problem under warranty?

The codes you throw that you'd have some 'splainin' to do are basically anything showing boost levels being high. That code proves a boost increaser was in use. Those are the codes I speak of.

If you throw a code for, say a HPFP malfunction, leave it alone. Sure, they will fix under warranty as they would for any car.

The codes you see are the codes they see, period.

DTC-OFF
05-24-2010, 12:46 PM
did not know that... how easy it is to read and interpret a code btw? is it something that i need to look up, or is general info about the code on screen? because to be completely honest, im a bit nervous to do this mod.(as you may have already guessed)

PolkNole
05-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes, its easy - a 4 character code and just look it up.

LOL, yes, I can tell you're nervous because you responded in this thread about the same subjects which I looked up for you, but here it is anyways - it shows example codes with explanations and a video of how a BT Scanner works and a dyno run which shows the massive HP and Torque gains you'll obtain...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431092&highlight=jb3+codes+bt

Oh, and btw Nube, sorry, didn't see your question at the end til now, but, no, i don't think it can do new regristrations - it just reads and clears codes. I can play with it though some and make my windows move from my laptop - that's fun.:)

grateful1
05-24-2010, 06:28 PM
You can get 100 octane by you? I live in a major city and don't ever recall seeing anyone selling 100.

DTC-OFF
05-24-2010, 06:48 PM
The codes you throw that you'd have some 'splainin' to do are basically anything showing boost levels being high. That code proves a boost increaser was in use. Those are the codes I speak of.

If you throw a code for, say a HPFP malfunction, leave it alone. Sure, they will fix under warranty as they would for any car.

The codes you see are the codes they see, period.

Polk, what type of codes have you gotten? can you give some examples as to what i would see?

PolkNole
05-24-2010, 07:15 PM
You can get 100 octane by you? I live in a major city and don't ever recall seeing anyone selling 100.

Luckily, I have a Sunoco pump in my hometown of Lakeland, FL! Here is a link showing all 100 octane sales outlets for Sunoco by state:

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consumer/RaceFuels/260GT100Locations/

Polk, what type of codes have you gotten? can you give some examples as to what i would see?

Most of my codes came from Sebring, both times. When you boost way up and increase octane and push her, you'll get some pushback, i.e. codes! Limp modes create codes. I also got a good batch of codes from trying to switch batteries to that dumb lightweight battery that was a piece of junk. There's a good list of example codes in the other post I linked for you a couple of posts back...

Again, clearing codes is a snap.

njlou
05-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Does the key carry the code also??

PolkNole
05-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Does the key carry the code also??

No.

jeffbtx
05-25-2010, 06:09 AM
Hey guys, might sound like a stupid question, but can i put 100 octane in my engine? im assuming there will be a big performance increase, am i right? and also, are there any negative affects to this?:dunno:Some stations that sell high octane racing gas sell leaded versions too - make sure you don't get any of that - will ruin your cats.

Kzang
05-25-2010, 09:13 AM

100, 110, 120 high octane pumps are available here in North NJ.

DTC-OFF
05-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Some stations that sell high octane racing gas sell leaded versions too - make sure you don't get any of that - will ruin your cats.

Will the pump say unleaded?

jeffbtx
05-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Will the pump say unleaded?It should...but I've run AvGas in my motorcycle and it was labled 100LL where LL - low lead.

DTC-OFF
05-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Luckily, I have a Sunoco pump in my hometown of Lakeland, FL! Here is a link showing all 100 octane sales outlets for Sunoco by state:

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consumer/RaceFuels/260GT100Locations/

Most of my codes came from Sebring, both times. When you boost way up and increase octane and push her, you'll get some pushback, i.e. codes! Limp modes create codes. I also got a good batch of codes from trying to switch batteries to that dumb lightweight battery that was a piece of junk. There's a good list of example codes in the other post I linked for you a couple of posts back...

Again, clearing codes is a snap.

Polk you have no idea how tempted i am to get this... i juat need some time to push myself over to the dark side. Just wanted to say that your awesome, and its great to have someone with this much knowledge on the forum.

mermar
05-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I too am conservative when it comes to tunes - but the JB 3 seems solid. If I knew a qualified installed to assure it was installed correctly - I think I would jump in. But messing around in the ECU box - putting it back together and getting weird codes, or the car not starting and needing a tow to the dealer - seem like a possible nightmare scenario. I thought there was a JB2 that was super easy plug and play with no need to get into the ECU box - but I hardly see anyone mention this one.

PolkNole
05-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Polk you have no idea how tempted i am to get this... i juat need some time to push myself over to the dark side. Just wanted to say that your awesome, and its great to have someone with this much knowledge on the forum.

thanks...I'm just you 12 months ago, offering my experiences...

I too am conservative when it comes to tunes - but the JB 3 seems solid. If I knew a qualified installed to assure it was installed correctly - I think I would jump in. But messing around in the ECU box - putting it back together and getting weird codes, or the car not starting and needing a tow to the dealer - seem like a possible nightmare scenario. I thought there was a JB2 that was super easy plug and play with no need to get into the ECU box - but I hardly see anyone mention this one.

I'm sure there's someone near you that can install this for you if you are concerned. I put mine in and it took less than an hour only because I was so deliberately slow.

The easy one you're thinking of is the JB+ - installs and removes in seconds.

Nube1kenobi
05-25-2010, 04:45 PM
It should...but I've run AvGas in my motorcycle and it was labled 100LL where LL - low lead.

MoGas runs 100/115, and they're unleaded.

ffej
05-25-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm sure it's already been said, but 100 octane is great for a race (or even street) car that's been tuned for it, hard on your wallet, and idiotic if you're driving a car that is designed to take a minimum of 91 octane