PDA

View Full Version : Reset brake pads message

BEEEMY
05-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Hi all,
I just replaced my brake pads and rotors on 04 525i and trying to reset the warning light.
I turned on ignition(not starting) press check till date appeared then press button
on dash till triangle appeared then till brake message appeared and press again till RESET?
came on then press again the -9000 turned to _ _ _ _ but it will not give me new miles.
Then after a while -9000 came back on again. Anyone else experiencing this. Before -9000
it was 1200 till due, but I tried to reset then it turned to -9000, weird. I reset the brake fluid light this way no problem. Any help would greatly be appreciated. thanks all!

skippy_ps
05-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Make sure the pad wear sensor isn't worn through on the lf and rr.

BEEEMY
05-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks Skippy, I will check the sensors again this weekend.

Ryan M
05-25-2010, 09:26 PM
If you are certain that the wear sensors are ok, then just keep resetting it. It's a software glitch, and happens from time to time. I remember one car I got at work. I reset the oil light, and it said 99,000 miles till the next change lol.

BEEEMY
05-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the tip Ryan! We'll see what happens.

clowe
12-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Hi BEEEMY, did you get the problem fixed? I get the same -9000 message after I reset the brake warning light.

jesimmons
12-13-2010, 08:03 AM
You are supposed to replace the wear sensors when the pads get replaced - even if they are not worn through.... Something about the spring clips that hold them on the pads are weakened/damaged when removing them from the old pads. They are pretty cheap and easy to replace, though.

Spyder
12-13-2010, 10:21 AM
You are supposed to replace the wear sensors when the pads get replaced - even if they are not worn through.... Something about the spring clips that hold them on the pads are weakened/damaged when removing them from the old pads. They are pretty cheap and easy to replace, though.

While I was aware that BMW recommends replacing the sensors along with pads, I did not do this when replacing the pads on my 650 18 mos ago. The pads were replaced early, ie, at less than 20k mi, primarily to reduce dusting, so the sensors were in good shape, and the easily damaged retaining springs held them tight in the new pads. I had new sensors on hand in case they were needed. CBS indicator reset w/o a problem.

OTOH, two weeks ago when I replaced the fully worn pads and rotors on my 535 at 63k mi, the sensors clearly had to be replaced. Again, CBS reset went smoothly.

Spyder

jesimmons
12-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Spyder..
Interesting you mention it. I replaced my pads all around when the car was 2 weeks old to put in low dust pads. I was very careful removing the sensors and when comparing them to a new one, it didn't look like they were damaged at all. I snapped them back into the new pads and they did hold snugly so I left them. I guess you just have to asses how tight they are when reinstalled and if they are loose at all be safe and replace them.

Jim

jay024
12-13-2010, 12:25 PM
any idea where i can get the steps to actually reset the break light and remove error from idrive?? i changed the breaks and sensors and now just gotta remove the message...

clowe
12-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Thank you for the info. everybody, I did replaced the sensor along with the pads which I brought from autohausaz.com. This morning I reintalled the sensor and even disconnected the battery for a minute before I reset the computer, but I still got the same message. The Idrive shows" pads are wore to the minimum, have the pads replaced by the dealer". I might have brought a defect sensor, I don't know.

clowe
12-13-2010, 02:09 PM
jay024, go to youtub, there is a video clip shows you how to reset the computer for oil change, it is the same procedure for brake pads.

jesimmons
12-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Check this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5627740&postcount=1

jay024
12-14-2010, 01:22 PM
thank you very much clowe and jesimmons.... even though i had to pay 50 dollars to some one last week to get this reset... i shouldve asked this question last week here.... i feel so dum....

thanks again guys...

Bubs2004
12-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi guys, I had my brake pads replaced recently, but am not sure they replaced the sensor (the mechanic usually does not work on BMW's). I've tried resetting the warning light manually using the instructions above. However, when it asks for RESET and I hold the button down the mileage resets to -15,000. I assume that this is because the sensor needs to be replaced as well?

b530i
12-17-2010, 10:05 AM
jay024, go to youtub, there is a video clip shows you how to reset the computer for oil change, it is the same procedure for brake pads.

thanks again clowe. that helps out a great deal. i tried on the first try and had no problems.

Melrose
12-22-2010, 11:39 PM
I broke one of the two pins on the pad sensor connector. Put the old one in but did not install, and afetr reset it did not go on. People break them all the time.

kbatrph
07-11-2011, 09:15 PM
i have an "08 328i.....i reset the oil light after changing the oil and filter, then the brake light came on.....says pads are at a minimum thickness, they need to be replaced. I take it to the dealership, which proceeds to tell me i have 6mm left on the front pads and 4mm left on the rears. BMW will not do warranty work till they reach 3mm, which i will be lucky to reach before my warranty runs out. They cannot reset my brake light warning because they say its too close to the pads actually needing to be replaced. i've tried the above procedure but does not work....any suggestions????