PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to wash your car??

300zxmuro
05-24-2010, 02:25 PM
I was at the dealer and saw how they detailed a car. It shines like a M-F. Not sure what they use to wash it or clean the interior. I wanted to create a thread of what is used to was the car in/out from the common user perspective.

That said, what do you use to wash you car? in and out. Put down the brand and product as a reference to others.

Thanks!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup:

TLO03
05-24-2010, 02:38 PM
The detail department has all the info you need..to get a mirror finish...

blufinz
05-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Three words...Zaino, Zaino, Zaino.

djfitter
05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Zaino, Zaino, Zaino II. :thumbup:

dj

Munich77
05-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Zaino is great stuff but I have found other stuff I prefer.

I use good old Meguire's Gold Class Wash and Optimum Wash in my Foam Gun. When drying I use the Finish Kare 425 detail spray to leave a slick surface. Now as for waxing below is the current assortment:

Blackfire Wet Diamond
Optimum Car Wax and
Autoglym High Definition Wax.

When I give my car a full detail, I typically clay the car with an over the counter clay (I love the Mother's set). I then use a glaze - mine is Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze and then put a wa on top. I like putting on a second coat about 8 hours later. That usually does it...

For wheels I use the BMW wheel cleaner, Meguire's Wheel Brightener or Optimum Power Clean. For the interior dash I use Aerospace 303 and the BMW leather conditioner for the the leather.

NoQuarter
05-24-2010, 07:03 PM
I have decided to ask my BMW shop to quite washing the car after they service it! Seems to look worse than when I took it in.

Glad to hear yours does such a nice a job!

ULtimateCajun
05-24-2010, 07:21 PM
I was washing my car this past weekend. I had that nasty black tar speckled all over my front end from about a 900 mile highway work week. This tar mixed with bug guts all over made for a very tough wash. Went to autozone and got some 'Bug & Tar' and that stuff is awesome. spray on and wipe off. it melts all that gunk off. I highly recommend for regular highway drivers.

300zxmuro
05-25-2010, 03:17 PM
So the crap I buy at AutoZone won't work. The Green Turtle brand and those brands. Armor something. It seems to be it is a waste of time. Darnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn:rofl:

Ndokiss
05-26-2010, 09:29 AM
I use Tide

Fahrer
05-26-2010, 10:31 AM
I use the free car wash at the BMW dealership.

djfitter
05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I use Tide

Would that be the incoming or outgoing Tide? :D

dj

GoRavens
05-26-2010, 06:51 PM

dj

you are too witty :rofl:

Just Bryce
05-26-2010, 06:59 PM
http://signaturesterling.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/ajax.jpg

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/dc/d0/Scotch-Brite_Heavy_Duty_Scour_Pads-resized200.jpg

MSAMMY
05-26-2010, 09:32 PM
OUCH!!!:bawling: And I'm not talking about the b**** slap!!! :spank:

fredderf4444
05-27-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm a big fan of Optimum No Rinse :thumbup:

HokieXDriver
05-27-2010, 04:45 PM
I was washing my car this past weekend. I had that nasty black tar speckled all over my front end from about a 900 mile highway work week. This tar mixed with bug guts all over made for a very tough wash. Went to autozone and got some 'Bug & Tar' and that stuff is awesome. spray on and wipe off. it melts all that gunk off. I highly recommend for regular highway drivers.

Detailing clay also does this very well and quite easily, but you do have to re-apply wax afterwards.

NoQuarter
05-27-2010, 05:11 PM
It seems I can only find the clay being sold in a big box with a bottle of detail spray to use as lubricant. Is there a cheaper way to buy the clay? Water works fine for me in my own spray bottle.

bbal
05-27-2010, 06:10 PM
I wash my car often enough that I go for the biodegradable "Simple Green" soap, otherwise my grass and the local streams would suffer. It's good stuff too.

ULtimateCajun
05-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Detailing clay also does this very well and quite easily, but you do have to re-apply wax afterwards.

I know there is better stuff but I do hwy driving every week so when I'm home on the weekends, as much as I love my car, I don't want to spend hours waxing and clay-ing. :) But when I do stay home for more than a week I'll give it a try for sure. Thanks for the tip!

grateful1
05-27-2010, 08:56 PM
It seems I can only find the clay being sold in a big box with a bottle of detail spray to use as lubricant. Is there a cheaper way to buy the clay? Water works fine for me in my own spray bottle.

I hope you are putting lube in with your water

Munich77
05-28-2010, 04:21 AM
I wash my car often enough that I go for the biodegradable "Simple Green" soap, otherwise my grass and the local streams would suffer. It's good stuff too.

I hope that the Simple Green wash does not strip off any of the paint protection you apply.

HokieXDriver
05-28-2010, 11:29 AM
I know there is better stuff but I do hwy driving every week so when I'm home on the weekends, as much as I love my car, I don't want to spend hours waxing and clay-ing. :) But when I do stay home for more than a week I'll give it a try for sure. Thanks for the tip!

Didn't mean to say my technique is "better" than yours. Sorry if it came across that way. Bug and tar remover is faster, no doubt, especially since you don't have to re-wax. Clay is just another way to handle it, especially if you already use clay anyway.

By the way, clay will also clean your windshield very well.

Munich77
05-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Didn't mean to say my technique is "better" than yours. Sorry if it came across that way. Bug and tar remover is faster, no doubt, especially since you don't have to re-wax. Clay is just another way to handle it, especially if you already use clay anyway.

By the way, clay will also clean your windshield very well.

I would suspect that Bug & Tar remover removes any wax underneath too. Nothing that cannot be fixed with a quick spray wax.

bbal
05-29-2010, 07:26 AM
I hope that the Simple Green wash does not strip off any of the paint protection you apply.

It does after a while but I dilute it quite a bit and wax when it does not bead.

JerseyGeorge
05-31-2010, 11:10 PM
It does after a while but I dilute it quite a bit and wax when it does not bead.

Now that's a first.....Simple Green as a car wash! I clean my wheels, degrease my engine with the stuff but never have washed the entire car with a concentrated degreaser! Even diluted it's still a degreaser! Modern car wash concentrates are biodegradable so if you want to stay green it's no problem! Anyway it's your car so do what you want with it!

ZAINO is what I use:thumbup:

Ndokiss
06-01-2010, 02:04 PM

dj

Outgoing tide with mountain freshness :D

bbal
06-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Now that's a first.....Simple Green as a car wash! I clean my wheels, degrease my engine with the stuff but never have washed the entire car with a concentrated degreaser! Even diluted it's still a degreaser! Modern car wash concentrates are biodegradable so if you want to stay green it's no problem! Anyway it's your car so do what you want with it!

ZAINO is what I use:thumbup:

Maybe you're thinking of something else?...

"Perfect for the automotive professional or enthusiast, Simple Green Car Wash is custom blended to remove the toughest dirt and grease making automotive surfaces shine. This amazing formula is gentle enough to clean delicate automotive surfaces yet is a highly effective, non-toxic and biodegradable cleaner. Simple Green Car Wash produces a thick and rich foaming lather that effectively lifts-off road soils during washing-without dulling or stripping away waxed surfaces. It also rinses cleanly, which will leave your car streak-free and give it that brilliant showroom finish!"

Now the M3 never sees bad weather, so I just use water to get the dust off... No need for soap.

dailygrind
06-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Doesn't matter what soap you use. All it matters is you use microfiber towel to wash. It cleans everything. Once washed/cleaned/dried. Use Klasse All in One, then Klasse sealant, then a layer of wax. You're good for months. Additional layers of Klasse sealant will make your car dirt free forever.

w5lx
06-03-2010, 04:53 PM
...what do you use to wash you car? in and out.

Water:tsk:

Nube1kenobi
06-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Note to self: Do not buy a car from Ndokiss or Just Bryce! Unless you're aiming for the camouflage look. :rofl:

Just Bryce
06-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Note to self: Do not buy a car from Ndokiss or Just Bryce! Unless you're aiming for the camouflage look. :rofl:

I don't expect any of you to use my patented method without first PMing me for permission and paying me a $.01 royalty :D

Rolf-Dieter
06-03-2010, 07:07 PM
All are good posts and recommendations except for the Ajax LOL. I wash my car every week and believe it or not I use simple liquid dishwashing detergent. Purchase the most gentle one and you cannot go wrong. For waxing, wheel cleaner and windshield cleaning I use 3M products. For my interior I use the BMW leather cleaner.

Once a year I take my car to BMW for a spa it is kind of a treat for my car to take me places all year long. This is my 5th Bimmer and people ask me how I keep my cars showroom clean. So I tell them.

One word of caution, 3 of my cars have been silver, one was white and the one I now drive is orion silver. Your color might be different, still gentle dishwasher detergent will not do any harm to your car.

One fellow complained about the dealer wash, I think it depends on the dealer and how close they follow BMW standards. What do you think?

Nube1kenobi
06-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Simple Green and my 3000 PSI Ridgid pressure washer works great on my wheels... no need to clay or any of that exotic car care stuff. :bigpimp:

wigsplitta
06-10-2011, 12:40 AM
sweet

gcvt
06-10-2011, 01:33 AM
http://www.griotsgarage.com

centennIan
06-10-2011, 03:47 AM

Yyyyep. The products, the packaging (trigger sprayers that Work!), and the service all are top shelf. I've run the gamut from Autoglym to Zymol, and for my money Griot's is the most efficient way to keep a car looking its best.

Munich77
06-10-2011, 05:28 AM
Yyyyep. The products, the packaging (trigger sprayers that Work!), and the service all are top shelf. I've run the gamut from Autoglym to Zymol, and for my money Griot's is the most efficient way to keep a car looking its best.

Totally agree - for thos wanting to save on shipping charges (although lately it has been free) Autozone carries some Griot's stuff, too.

jackalope
06-10-2011, 06:50 AM

+1

Been a customer for 10 years. Great customer service.

Here's a brief on my regimen:

Bi-weekly: Griot's Waterless Car Wash; Window Cleaner; Rubber dressing. Use Plexis for the clearbra.

Also vacuum and dust interior. You will find their Waterless system is fast, easy, and removes all the bugs, road tar, etc. Once in a long while I will have to break out the 3M automotive adhesive remover for some really tough road tar, but that's rare.

It helps my car (a daily driver) is garaged at night, and that I always remove bird droppings the same day. I also never park under a tree (leaves, birds, sap, etc.)

Quarterly: Traditional car wash using Griot's products. Also remove rims from car for thorough cleaning.

Semi-annually: Also do leather conditioning.

Annually: Also do claybar and one step paint sealant.

JASONAARONDC
06-10-2011, 07:22 AM
I've waxed my car once since I bought it years ago. It still looks as good as the day I brought it home. I used Simple Green on the wheels and engine, cheap Blue Coral carwash soap from Walmart, and a damp microfiber on my windows. I guess cause its silver the dirt just never shows up as much as these other colors. As long as my wheels are clean my car looks clean...

What are you guys using to keep the break dust off your wheels? I have full ceramic pads, but still...

dr.s
06-10-2011, 07:33 AM
yyyyep. The products, the packaging (trigger sprayers that work!), and the service all are top shelf. I've run the gamut from autoglym to zymol, and for my money griot's is the most efficient way to keep a car looking its best.

+1

tomstin
06-10-2011, 08:17 AM
I've been using Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine http://optimumcarcare.com/onrwns.php?li=2 for years. I use a pump sprayer to wet the panels and then use the No Rinse. I can wash the car with about 2 gallons of water in the garage without the hose. It sure helps on those real cold or warm days. It doesn't make sense when you first see it, but works like a champ without scratching the finish. Make sure you use a real thick microfiber cloth for the washing.

RED99HT
06-10-2011, 07:15 PM
What are you guys using to keep the break dust off your wheels? I have full ceramic pads, but still...[/QUOTE]

I just recently tried Armor All wheel protectant and I swear it is the best product for my car i have ever used. After 2 weeks the wheels hardly had any break dust on them. The wheels were actually cleaner than the car! When I did wash my car I just hosed of the wheels and I didn't even have to touch them. The little breakdust and water was shed right off the wheels. Amazing Stuff!

njlou
06-10-2011, 07:18 PM
My problem is the damn minerals in the water. When I wash i have to dry within seconds to get the car dry and somewhat mineral free.

I tried the MR Clean system with the demineralizer and I still have to work fast. Last year while traveling in the Georgia area, I washed the car and it was a breeze. I never thought the water could be so soft there.

I even tried car wash with "fomlin" that is supposed to dry streak free. I cant get that to work either.

Munich77
06-10-2011, 10:26 PM
My problem is the damn minerals in the water. When I wash i have to dry within seconds to get the car dry and somewhat mineral free.

I tried the MR Clean system with the demineralizer and I still have to work fast. Last year while traveling in the Georgia area, I washed the car and it was a breeze. I never thought the water could be so soft there.

I even tried car wash with "fomlin" that is supposed to dry streak free. I cant get that to work either.

Try using an electric leaf blower and quick detailer while drying - works like a charm.

bajanjack
06-11-2011, 12:40 PM
What are you guys using to keep the break dust off your wheels? I have full ceramic pads, but still...

I just recently tried Armor All wheel protectant and I swear it is the best product for my car i have ever used. After 2 weeks the wheels hardly had any break dust on them. The wheels were actually cleaner than the car! When I did wash my car I just hosed of the wheels and I didn't even have to touch them. The little breakdust and water was shed right off the wheels. Amazing Stuff![/QUOTE]

+1 on the Armor All wheel protectant...the best I've found....and cheap too! (Walmart,etc)

BillB - PA
06-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I guess I'm old school and lean towards Nube on this subject. The dishwashing detergent is for dishes and is too harsh for me. Totally agree on the microfiber towels. I buy mine from PakShak in Hawaii. Use the waffle-weave for drying too. I use a liquid wash from the major brands and get rid of brake dust with FOMAX, which is recommended by BMW. I don't have to use it every week, only periodically. Someone else mentioned NoRinse, which is a lifesaver, here in PA during the winter months. Don't forget the periodic clay bar treatments!

For some tips on detailing visit www.autopia.org ... there is an insane bunch of detailers on that site!

Ohio55
06-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I recently tried a sample of Meguiars Cleaner wax. It came in my claybar kit. It was interesting that it directs you to apply to the entire car and let dry, rather than do one panel at a time like most. After allowing the wax to dry fully, it was the easiest wax to remove that I have ever used by far. Literally just wiped it off with almost no effort. The only downside, and its a big one for me, is that you've got to keep it off the rubber & vinyl trim parts as it will leave the white marks.

Has anybody found a paste or liquid wax (not a spray wax) that is just as easy to remove but that is safe on the rubber & vinyl?

djfitter
06-11-2011, 11:09 PM
I recently tried a sample of Meguiars Cleaner wax. It came in my claybar kit. It was interesting that it directs you to apply to the entire car and let dry, rather than do one panel at a time like most. After allowing the wax to dry fully, it was the easiest wax to remove that I have ever used by far. Literally just wiped it off with almost no effort. The only downside, and its a big one for me, is that you've got to keep it off the rubber & vinyl trim parts as it will leave the white marks.

Has anybody found a paste or liquid wax (not a spray wax) that is just as easy to remove but that is safe on the rubber & vinyl?

Not a wax. Polymer sealant, Zaino.

http://www.zainostore.com/

dj

Dking078
06-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Meguiars Gold Wash, it's the best soap i've used.

Wheels: Old bucket + sponge + paint brush (for small wheel spokes)
Car: two-bucket method + full hand sponge
Clean: Any ol' sham.

(Tip) Use latex gloves when sham/drying, it keeps your hands moist and you have grip.

Fighterpilot
06-12-2011, 09:18 PM
I use water, lot of it. Soft water to be exact.

I also use the Griots products for car wash soap, spray on wax, Speed Shine, clay bar, etc.

Probably four times a year I'll do the clay bar and then the machine polish and wax. Other times Ill just do the spray on wax after a wash. I use the Speed Shine in between washings.