PDA

View Full Version : VHF/UHF Transciever in E-60?

archie253
05-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Has anyone installed a VHF/UHF transceiver in an E60? The space between the radio and ash tray (where the DVD player lives) seems like a great place for a stick-on remote head mount, and the actual transciever should be mountable either above the battery well / behind the trunk carpet in that general area or under the rear window deck.

The big question is what to do with the antenna... I'm not about to put a 3/4 hole in the middle of the roof for a NMO mount... and the trunk lid is expensive enough for me to not have my #1 option be a hole there either (resale thing)... The trunk lid also has an odd enough shape to preclude quite a few permanent trunk-lip mounting options so... has anyone put any 144/440 Ham gear into an E-60? Where'd you mount everything, how'd you route the wiring, and do you have photos?

To pre-derail at least some unproductive discussion - I know the car can handle the RF if everything's properly installed and grounded despite all the electronics - and it's not "inappropriate" to have radio equipment in a car like this - the E60 is a fleet vehicle in use in taxi (just like the E-Class - gasp!) and police applications in quite a few EU (and maybe other) countries.