PDA

View Full Version : Can you name that sensor?

NoQuarter
05-25-2010, 05:58 PM
530xi

in the glove box under the rechargable flashlight is an access panel about 1.5" square

When the panel is removed, out comes a sensor of some sort attached to the removable access panel.

any ideas on what it does?

ex-tech
05-25-2010, 10:49 PM
does it look like a little tennis racket with no strings. If it does its the MOST jumper (forgot the real name). We use it to program the car using the OPPS. It's to access the car to program etc..

NoQuarter
05-26-2010, 04:24 PM
does it look like a little tennis racket with no strings. If it does its the MOST jumper (forgot the real name). We use it to program the car using the OPPS. It's to access the car to program etc..

Sounds like you nailed it. That is exactly what it looks like. Is it magnetic or optical? There was no actual "plug" that I could tell.

So when we are all surpised that it takes 9 hours or 13 hours to program something this is where it's done huh?

Thanks for the info!

ex-tech
05-27-2010, 04:29 PM
It's a fiber optic ring. The reason why it takes 8-9 hours to program these cars is because the equipment we used is slow. The computer and software takes forever to program, initialize, etc.. That's why I would program 2-3 cars at one time then work on something else. Whenever we had a car problem we couldn't figure out, a field engineer would fly to the dealership from NJ. He would always have a laptop that could program a car in seconds. Why we didn't have access to that I do not know. I also know he can access more info on the car than a regular tech and change different parameters in the vehicle. I guess BMW doesn't trust regular techs changing stuff on the vehicles.

Do you I win a prize playing "name that sensor"? jk No problem...