PDA

View Full Version : 04 Owners, does dipstick match manual pic

wrwicky
11-14-2003, 01:23 AM
Don't know if this is a 3er specific issue. Please move this string if it is.

Anyway, for the new car owners, congrats, and does your actual dipstick match the picture of your dipstick in your manual. If so, please post a definitive answer to what all of those friggin notches and lines on my dipstick mean(easy now there is no need to criticize my anatomy).

rumratt
11-14-2003, 07:37 AM
there was a post by mbr129 about this a while ago and someone eventually posted pictures.

operknockity
11-14-2003, 08:08 AM
Do a search! There have been several threads about this already, including one wiht an annotated picture of the dip stick.

3seriesbimmer
11-14-2003, 08:15 AM
Do a search! There have been several threads about this already, including one wiht an annotated picture of the dip stick.

to answer SIMPLY....no they don't match and my MY2002's stick does not match either.

Desertnate
11-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Every time I read threads like this I find it pretty funny...

My '99 doesn't match the pic in the manual either, so if my car at the begining of the serious and yours in the current MY don't match, so it has been wrong for the entire lifecycle of the model so far. I wonder what engine/year dipstick it is a picture of? I can't imagine BMW producing a host of different dipsticks, espicially since the engines overlap series boundries (i.e. 525, 325, Z3 3.0, Z4 3.0, 330, 530 ect even moreso in Europe).

Anyone been bored enough to figure out the proper host for this mysterious dipstick? :dunno: :D

autobahn
11-14-2003, 08:47 AM
Every time I read threads like this I find it pretty funny...

My '99 doesn't match the pic in the manual either, so if my car at the begining of the serious and yours in the current MY don't match, so it has been wrong for the entire lifecycle of the model so far. I wonder what engine/year dipstick it is a picture of? I can't imagine BMW producing a host of different dipsticks, espicially since the engines overlap series boundries (i.e. 525, 325, Z3 3.0, Z4 3.0, 330, 530 ect even moreso in Europe).

Anyone been bored enough to figure out the proper host for this mysterious dipstick? :dunno: :D

Noticed the 04 3-Series Manual also has the +- on the Steptronic backwards. Believe the older Steps had the + near the dash while the newer Steps have - near the dash.

wrwicky
11-14-2003, 02:37 PM

Read those strings you're telling me to search. There are very good pictures of my dipstick, with numbers and arrows, but there is NOT a consensus, despite several experienced festers stating opinions, as to which one signifies fully serviced, upper limit of normal, and over serviced.

I was just hoping this was a model year issue and that maybe the 04 manuals or service diagrams had a better correllation between words, diagrams, and hardware. I'll try a download, but if there are any trained techs who KNOW the answer, I'm all ears.

After decades of enthusiast car ownership, including building several motors, I feel a little dim not being able to figure out where I want the oil to be, exactly, on the dipstick or how low I am when I'm below that mark.

I know, I should worry less about these issues, and make sure I'm maintaining my priorities, but I got the OCD monkey on my back.

wrwicky
11-14-2003, 02:43 PM
04 Manual has the same diagram of a dipstick that doesn't look anything like mine.

Kaz
11-14-2003, 02:48 PM
Noticed the 04 3-Series Manual also has the +- on the Steptronic backwards. Believe the older Steps had the + near the dash while the newer Steps have - near the dash.

This has nothing to do with the dipstick. The change was made in MY02 (but originated as a mod before that) in order to match the SMGII, and thus, also race cars. Every other carmaker that has push-to-upshift has it backwards.

F1Crazy
11-14-2003, 04:53 PM
This has nothing to do with the dipstick. The change was made in MY02 (but originated as a mod before that) in order to match the SMGII, and thus, also race cars. Every other carmaker that has push-to-upshift has it backwards.
I drove my friend's Acura TL recently and push-to-upshift is even more ridiculous than the setup used in Daimler-Chrysler cars where you push the lever to the side.

Kaz
11-14-2003, 04:58 PM
I drove my friend's Acura TL recently and push-to-upshift is even more ridiculous than the setup used in Daimler-Chrysler cars where you push the lever to the side.

I mentioned this in my X5 Komen Drive mini-review, but I think the whole concept is rather ill-conceived. I'd much rather have it 'old-school' like my old car that had a plain old prindle that you can move through yourself instead of the +/- business. Interestingly I don't feel that way about SMG/SSG at all. :dunno: