PDA

View Full Version : Thought you might enjoy this...

LmtdSlip
11-14-2003, 09:20 AM
From one of the boards I look in on from time to time...

BMW tailgates Xterra and takes a hit (http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007028)

operknockity
11-14-2003, 09:31 AM
That'll teach him!

Only wish I could have taught the a--hole behind me in traffic last night. It's the normal stop-n-stop on the 405 south, and this woman in a ratty old Honda (and blabbing on cell phone the whole time) is on my bumper for 45 minutes (that would be about 7 miles :argh: ). I tried going extremely slow, tapping on the brake continuously, braking hard multiple times with split second intervals. Even put the car in reverse at one point when we weren't moving. This dipstick never stopped kissing my bumper. Just before my off-ramp, she finally changes lanes by driving through a gap so small that not even a motorcycle would fit through.

yamato
11-14-2003, 10:46 AM
i did the same when i was tailgated. I looked for pot holes or bumps and I steered around them at the very last second so the tailgater had no time to respond. However, with this better handling new bimmer i got, i am going to change that strategy. I will steer around obstacles at the very last half second to make sure the tailgater hits it.

Cadd
11-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Tailgating is so damn dangerous.....especially in the rain.

yamato
11-14-2003, 09:25 PM
what is the psychological reason behind tail gating anyways? the car in the front is not likely to go faster. The only +ve tailgating reason I can think of is to save gasoline by following a truck real close!

Matthew330Ci
11-14-2003, 09:48 PM
what is the psychological reason behind tail gating anyways? the car in the front is not likely to go faster.

especially if it's bumper-to-bumper traffic. :tsk:

Cadd
11-14-2003, 09:58 PM
especially if it's bumper-to-bumper traffic. :tsk:
This is when people USUALLY tailgate! They're trying to move up as much as possible to try to cut over to the next lane....then they do the same thing :thumbdwn:

I used to hit the brakes hard, but that's dangerous. So, I just move over and try to avoid aggressive drivers. Not worth the accident.

hmr
11-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Tailgaters suck. So do people who consciously cause malice or take gratification in it (i.e., mean people suck, too). Anti-social behavior abounds--think about it. :thumbdwn:

numbersguy
11-15-2003, 08:04 AM
This is when people USUALLY tailgate! They're trying to move up as much as possible to try to cut over to the next lane....then they do the same thing :thumbdwn:

I used to hit the brakes hard, but that's dangerous. So, I just move over and try to avoid aggressive drivers. Not worth the accident.

Live and learn. Braking like that adds to the danger of the situation and morally and legally it puts you right down in the gutter with the jerk behind you.

In a traffic crawl, slowing down and opening a gap in front of you usually causes tailgaters to move to another land and ride somebody else's bumper.

numbersguy
11-15-2003, 08:06 AM
Live and learn. Braking like that adds to the danger of the situation and morally and legally it puts you right down in the gutter with the jerk behind you.

In a traffic crawl, slowing down and opening a gap in front of you usually causes tailgaters to move to another land and ride somebody else's bumper.

I meant another lane, but another land would be even better.

GimpyMcFarlan
11-15-2003, 09:38 AM
I disagree with the "he deserved it" mentality here. Do we really know that the BMW was tailgating that badly? The writer was driving an Xterra SUV and they (SUVs) traditionally have very poor visibility out of the rear window.

The reason I say this is that a honda Civic hatchback did something similar to me this past summer. However I don't know if it was intentional. I've posted this before so please bear with me if you have already heard it.

I was driving with my father norht on I-71 south of Columbus late one Saturday night after a race at Kentucy Speedway. I was behind the Civic in the left hand lane and he was in the lead with several cars being behind me. After passing some semi's, rather than move over to let some of the group behind him by, he decided to remain in the left lane.

I moved up a little and flashed my lights in an effort to prompt him to move over but he didn't. I should have just ducked to the right and powered around him but it is not the safe play so I didn't. Shame on me for not doing so though... The Civic promply ran over a mangles but full dear carcass head on (he didn't move more than 6" in either direction) sending chunks of bone and flesh all over the place. I had just enough time to swerve and miss half of it. I immediately said ":nono::nono::nono::nono: this asshole" (which is completely unlike me) and powered around him on the right. I was so pissed at the situation that I was fuming out loud for at least 5 miles.

Now maybe the Bimmer in that post was truely tailgating the Xterra. I'm willing to concede that fact. However, IMHO even if he did, I don't think causing him to nail a log in the middle of the road is necessary to teach him a lesson. Besides, even if the Bimmer had a full car length distance between them, he probably would have still hit the log in some fashion.

Soapbox mode off. Flame suit firmly secured...

tommyd
11-19-2003, 04:36 AM

Ditto... if you brake unnecessarily.. especially if you brake HARD... you're worse than the tailgater IMO.

Isn't it interesting how everyone is always so concerned with the 'tailgater' behind them? Sure it's annoying and potentially dangerous... but so is looking in the rear view mirror for 2 out of every four 4 seconds getting upset and doing stupid things behind the wheel 'just to get even'. Give it up... grow up... get out of the way... or just drive normally...

my $0.02

Technic
11-19-2003, 04:52 AM
Ditto... if you brake unnecessarily.. especially if you brake HARD... you're worse than the tailgater IMO.

Isn't it interesting how everyone is always so concerned with the 'tailgater' behind them? Sure it's annoying and potentially dangerous... but so is looking in the rear view mirror for 2 out of every four 4 seconds getting upset and doing stupid things behind the wheel 'just to get even'. Give it up... grow up... get out of the way... or just drive normally...

my $0.02

Daaaamn!!! I thought that nobody had even noticed this imbecile behavior... These people see a line of cars behind, go slow and let other lanes cut in front of them. Especially if you are waiting in a turn lane or the biggie, left lane idiots... these are the ones that send me thru the roof when they let other people cut in front like he/she is a traffic official but as soon as you honk the horn or flash the lights you are persona non grata. As soon as the person right behind him/her tries to pass, then it is imperative to speed up, give the bad looks, brake with no reason, anything to piss people off.

It is so simple to get out of the way... :dunno:

tommyd
11-19-2003, 05:12 AM
Daaaamn!!! I thought that nobody had even noticed this imbecile behavior... These people see a line of cars behind, go slow and let other lanes cut in front of them. Especially if you are waiting in a turn lane or the biggie, left lane idiots... these are the ones that send me thru the roof when they let other people cut in front like he/she is a traffic official but as soon as you honk the horn or flash the lights you are persona non grata. As soon as the person right behind him/her tries to pass, then it is imperative to speed up, give the bad looks, brake with no reason, anything to piss people off.

Tell me about it. This idiot decides to brake and a free moving 6 lane roadway (60 to 70 kmh) to let a pedestrian jaywalk THROUGH an intersection... it's a commonplace move in Van... home of the most moronic drivers i've ever seen. So here's a guy, in the middle lane braking to a hard stop.. i'm beside him slowing down fast because i can't see what's happening behind is minivan (could be dangerous)... cars tires squeal behind him... open car lane to my right still free flowing with a gap and a car moving at about 60 to 70 kmh coming up fast... idiot pedestrian comes running out waving thanks and almost get's clocked in the third lane.. (woulda been clocked if i had been moving at full speed on MY RIGHT OF WAY!!.
As stupid as the pedestrian is, he was still safe standing on the middle island... but what the HELL IS THE DRIVER OF THE FIRST CAR THINKING?!?!?!? Trying to be nice?!?!? The lights f*cking GREEN!!! that means GO!!!! :mad:
I swear i wanted to pull him over... take the keys out of his car and throw them onto the roof of a house...

:tsk:

bottom line... it's bad enough there are bad drivers out there... don't be one yourself.

LmtdSlip
11-19-2003, 08:49 AM

:thumbup: