PDA

View Full Version : Add Oil...Normal?

ULtimateCajun
05-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I recently had a "oil level low" message. So I checked the manual, bought some oil, and added a quart. I still have about 5-7 K miles to change my oil so is that normal? I've never added oil, just changed it. She seems to be running fine, I've driven about 800 hwy miles since. But just wondering if others have had this.

jesimmons
05-27-2010, 09:45 PM
You didn't mention how many miles on the car and how many miles since last oil change. In the first 10-15k miles, it's not uncommon to need to add up to a quart before an oil change.

Bimmer7driver
05-27-2010, 10:26 PM
I had the same icon message come on after shutting off the ignition.
My service advisor said its not unusual to burn a quart every 1,000 miles or so, although its been 4,000 miles since the message came on.
I filled it with 3/4 quart and the iDrive setting said it was filled to the right level, but I didn't realize you could scroll to that setting until the service advisor showed me.
Mystery solved.

Stigmata
05-28-2010, 04:40 AM
Last year, I was on my way to the dealer to have some warranty work done that would involve draining the oil. The next oil change interval was a few thousand miles away but I had asked to have a change done anyway. On the way (a one hour drive) to the dealer, the warning message came up for low oil level. I asked the service manager if this is normal and he too said it was. I've also heard this from other people running synthetic oils in higher performance cars. Since then, I keep a bottle of Castrol in the garage.

GolferEngineer
05-28-2010, 05:35 AM
I've added a quart of oil twice in the 4+ years and 68K miles that I have on my car. This is between the normal, scheduled maintenance oil changes.

jeffbtx
05-28-2010, 05:39 AM
Last year, I was on my way to the dealer to have some warranty work done that would involve draining the oil. The next oil change interval was a few thousand miles away but I had asked to have a change done anyway. On the way (a one hour drive) to the dealer, the warning message came up for low oil level. I asked the service manager if this is normal and he too said it was. I've also heard this from other people running synthetic oils in higher performance cars. Since then, I keep a bottle of Castrol in the garage.

Best to keep the extra bottle of oil in the car.

Patrick
05-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Yes, it is normal and nothing to worry about.

Keep some extra oil in the trunk and you will be fine.

jesimmons
05-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Also remember, the E60 has a fairly large sump... 7+ quarts when full. So being down a quart is not an engine-endangering event unless you have a leak that needs attention. Just add a quart when it's convenient. Don't panic and head for the neareast service station. :)

BLUE550
05-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Is it okay to put a different bran of engine oil for those random top-ups? I do have Mobile 1 synthetic oil bottles in my garage that I used for my previous car, but not sure what kind of oil is in my car now.

SpartanGA
05-28-2010, 03:33 PM
I had to add a quart to my 550i once. But I do not see the level dropping since it was changed.

I do get black dust on the rear of my white car which I assume is from th exhaust.

HokieXDriver
05-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Is it okay to put a different bran of engine oil for those random top-ups? I do have Mobile 1 synthetic oil bottles in my garage that I used for my previous car, but not sure what kind of oil is in my car now.

The service booklet that comes with the car lists acceptable brands you can use, in addition to the BMW Synthetic Oil.

TRS550
05-29-2010, 06:23 AM
If my SA told me that 1 qt of oil every 1K miles was normal, I'd find another SA real quick.

vern
05-29-2010, 07:31 AM
The service booklet that comes with the car lists acceptable brands you can use, in addition to the BMW Synthetic Oil.SMITHSONGA is asking if its ok to mix different brands of oil.
cheers
vern

whazzup
05-29-2010, 08:36 AM
I needed a quart, too. For $6, I just got the oil from BMW. FWIW, I didn't think it was a big deal, but I'd rather have the oil that is approved by the engineers, especially since the oil change is so infrequent.
I was a little perplexed about the need for oil as well. After speaking to the SA, and realizing that the car had 10K miles on it and I'd never changed the oil, I figured it was normal. Previous cars got oil changes every 3-5K, so if they went through a quart at 10K, I never would have known it.
I know it's been discussed before, but I am staying with their recommendation for condition based changing, and I hope to get 150K out of the car.

HokieXDriver
05-29-2010, 09:05 AM
SMITHSONGA is asking if its ok to mix different brands of oil.
cheers
vern

And that's what the manual addresses, if you had checked. It says refill should be BMW Synthetic but top-ups can be any of the listed brands.

Oh and by the way, it wasn't smithsonga asking.

JerseyGeorge
05-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Hokies correct, I just wouldn't run to the service station and put in a quart of non-approved oil being just a quart low. Would it hurt....probably not but why panic? Just keep some of the BMW oil on hand or any of the other approved brands meeting the LL-04 spec. You can find Mobil one meeting the spec at Walmart, Autozone, Pep Boys....it's not hard to find so forget the service station.