PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating Tips Needed

MRMAS
05-27-2010, 09:31 PM
I am considering buying a 2010 528i or 528i xdrive, going to the dealer tomorrow to browse, it's been a very long time since I bought a brand new car and I wanted to know what negotiating techniques do you use? I am probably out of reality but I have set myself a budget of under 40K (including tax, title etc.), sadly I am not interested in the lastest gadgets (satellite radio, night vision, backup senors and another few items). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jeffbtx
05-28-2010, 05:42 AM
I am considering buying a 2010 528i or 528i xdrive, going to the dealer tomorrow to browse, it's been a very long time since I bought a brand new car and I wanted to know what negotiating techniques do you use? I am probably out of reality but I have set myself a budget of under 40K (including tax, title etc.), sadly I am not interested in the lastest gadgets (satellite radio, night vision, backup senors and another few items). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThanksBest negotiating tool is you feet - if you don't like the deal, walk. Too many cars out there so don't buy the one you don't want or can't afford.

crazedtexn
05-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Best negotiating tool is you feet - if you don't like the deal, walk. Too many cars out there so don't buy the one you don't want or can't afford.

+1

and go in knowing all the info you can. you have to look up there cost, and make them show it to you so they cant bury a bunch of price and fees in just the monthly payment. and i think bmw is granting dealers a $5k build out incentive on 2010 528's. good luck, and post some pics if you end up closing a deal.

sunburst1
05-28-2010, 07:51 AM
The auto section of the local rag in our area had an advertised "buy for" $42,595 on 2010 528xi with an MSRP of $49,875 , V.I.N.#C445090 , 2.9% financing up to 72 months. My guess would be you could do a bit better in this economy. :) Good luck in the hunt. ;)

stanj
05-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Best tactic is to know as much as you can about the model you want and the pricing. Find the dealer invoice from one of the online sites and negotiate from there. Or try one of the online buying services--they'll guarantee you a price vs dealer invoice (ie, $X,XXX above/below invoice) regardless of options, and they'll hook you up with a local dealer who'll honor that price. You can also get a breakdown of the pricing, including any incentives.

I think the BMW-to-dealer incentive is still going on, so you should be able to get a 2010 at significantly less than dealer invoice.

Options are a whole different ballgame at this point of the model year, you may have to settle for a car w/ options you don't want or w/o the options you want. I guess it depends on model and dealer, but I found very limited stock of 2010 models when I bought mine a couple of months ago. I had to settle for something less than optimal, but the pricing was just too good to pass up, and I couldn't be happier with the car.

HokieXDriver
05-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Research here, on Edmunds.com, etc. I bought my BMW and my last car over the internet, never going in to the dealership. I got very good prices and didn't have to put up with dealership BS. Sites such as Edmunds will put out RFQs on your behalf to local dealers. You receive some quotes back; these quotes are usually pretty good because they know you've been researching at Edmunds or similar sites. You can go with those or if you prefer you can "shop" them around to get even better deals.

wolfgang0524
05-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Unless my price sheet is out of date, the wholesale prices are:

528i $42135
528xi $44250

Even if there is a $5000 incentive on 2010 models, it seems like it would be hard to stay un $40k.

Good luck. I would do some test drives and see what options you really want and what would just be a nice to have. If you budget is fixed, then you may want to look at some slightly used models.

Just my $0.02.

MRMAS
05-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for tips so far. Today I stopped by my local BMW to browse, but was very desappointed with what I saw. About 15 5 series in there lot, only 3 or 4 had a sticker price, I wanted to get an idea of the options etc... Oh well, I did find a 2009 528i, close to 7k with full warranty for 45,995 msrp, now how can I look up the invoice for this car? I did write down the vin WBANV13579C152791 and this one that had no sticker on it Wbanv13519c156223

thanks