PDA

View Full Version : How long of a long crank before HPFP failure?

stanj
05-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Experienced my first long crank (maybe 3-4 secs) a couple of days ago w/ less than 2K on my 535xi. Then a shorter long crank yesterday. So far no other HPFP failure symptoms.

How long of a long crank are we talking about before one should start getting paranoid about an HPFP problem? Or is it a question of how often you get a long crank?

jesimmons
05-28-2010, 10:38 AM
You shouldn't be concerned about an HPFP issue at all.... 525xi doesn't have an HPFP. ;) Its normally aspirated, not direct injection.

grateful1
05-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Do you have a 525 or a 535? You state 525 in your post but 535 in your profile.

stanj
05-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Do you have a 525 or a 535? You state 525 in your post but 535 in your profile.

Sorry--535xi, so HPFP definitely a possibility.

wesleyan92
05-28-2010, 02:25 PM
5.5k miles on my car; have had occasional long cranks since I got the car. Keeping my fingers crossed that the fuel pump bug does not bite me!

Nube1kenobi
05-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Experienced my first long crank (maybe 3-4 secs) a couple of days ago w/ less than 2K on my 535xi. Then a shorter long crank yesterday. So far no other HPFP failure symptoms.

How long of a long crank are we talking about before one should start getting paranoid about an HPFP problem? Or is it a question of how often you get a long crank?

Long cranks generate a 2FBF code and not normally associated with HPFP, although it can never be ruled out. You may have DME software, electric pump or sensor issue... chances are they will reprogram your DME and clear all adaptations first before they even look at your HDP.

PolkNole
05-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Long cranks generate a 2FBF code and not normally associated with HPFP, although it can never be ruled out. You may have DME software, electric pump or sensor issue... chances are they will reprogram your DME and clear all adaptations first before they even look at your HDP.

...or, it is possible you could be reading too many message boards and be paranoid.

Nube1kenobi
05-28-2010, 04:08 PM
...or, it is possible you could be reading too many message boards and be paranoid.

:rofl:

silverbimmer3
05-28-2010, 04:19 PM
me got long cranks too once in a while, so it is not just HPFP could have the long crank.

jd101
05-28-2010, 04:22 PM
My wife experienced the long crank problem yesterday and then later while driving got an engine warning light symbol. She shut down the car waited a bit and restarted it and the warning light was gone. But early this morning she had the same long cranking and then while driving got the "engine malfunction, reduced power" message. So I brought it in to the dealer this morning. Just got a call from them that they reprogrammed the DME. The tech took it out for a test drive but says it is still running rough. So they are replacing the HPFP -- they have the part in stock and say the car will be ready tomorrow.

It's a 535xi wagon, 6sp manual with 5400 miles. Built in October 2009.

Bummer.

Nube1kenobi
05-28-2010, 04:48 PM
My wife experienced the long crank problem yesterday and then later while driving got an engine warning light symbol. She shut down the car waited a bit and restarted it and the warning light was gone. But early this morning she had the same long cranking and then while driving got the "engine malfunction, reduced power" message. So I brought it in to the dealer this morning. Just got a call from them that they reprogrammed the DME. The tech took it out for a test drive but says it is still running rough. So they are replacing the HPFP -- they have the part in stock and say the car will be ready tomorrow.

It's a 535xi wagon, 6sp manual with 5400 miles. Built in October 2009.

Bummer.

Let's hope the tech did the full troubleshooting procedure on your car... although I might add that lately they have been, bec BMW just do not release the $$$ for shoddy troubleshooting anymore.